Under 25s To Be Challenged Before Buying Alcohol

Cronky

Manx Radio:

Under 25's to be challenged before buying alchohol

retailers will require everybody in the 18 to 25 age group to carry photographic proof of identification, if they wish to purchase alcohol.

Are we not going over top with this? A young looking thirty year old (not me alas . . .) will now have to go and get one of these ID's. In any case, if you are legally allowed to buy alchohol at 21 how can they stop you???

Manx Radio:

retailers will require everybody in the 18 to 25 age group to carry photographic proof of identification, if they wish to purchase alcohol.

Are we not going over top with this? A young looking thirty year old (not me alas . . .) will now have to go and get one of these ID's. In any case, if you are legally allowed to buy alchohol at 21 how can they stop you???

You can legally buy at 18.

Its a good idea in principal can't see it working though, its just a case of shops using common sense.

There is no requirement as such for under 25's to carry ID when buying booze, it's just that Offwatch have come to the conclusion that some under 18's can look as old as 25 - therefore their advice to retailers is to check ID if someone looks younger than 25 - sensible advice and should weed out the bulk of underage drinkers. It's not like if the person behind the till is going to refuse to sell to someone they know is 23 because they haven't got ID.

A badly written story that makes it sound like hardened regulation when in fact it's just advice on best practice for retailers.

Not that it makes any difference anyway as they'll just continue to send their 18 year old mates in with ID to buy the booze like they have done forever.

They may be challenged to an arm wrestle.

Top trumps would be better I reckon. But only the original proper ones, not the crap modern stuff.

Would be like "over the top" !!! showing my age now, as i remember that film..lol

I've got that on video somewhere. It was in a VHS machine I bought off someone years ago, or maybe a car boot sale or something. :D

I never got IDed until I was of the legal age, then i was such a good feeling when she asked "Do you have ID", and go "Yes I have". Now it's just annoying. Especially when they take ages over it.

Manx Radio:

There are plenty of over 25s living on this island I would not serve alcohol to, and most of em drink in Macdeaths. :(

There are plenty of over 25s living on this island I would not serve alcohol to, and most of em drink in Macdeaths. :(

I was in there for the first time ever on Saturday. Not through any choice of my own, I may add, and it's highly unlikely that I'd ever step foot inside the place again. A few pervy old blokes did buy us drinks in there though.

A badly written story

Fortunately this type of incident is a very rare occurrence on the Isle of Man

Archived