Under 25s To Be Challenged Before Buying Alcohol

Cronky

For the '25 rule' - best advice is to ID everyone without wrinkles. I'd personally be very pissed off about this if I was clearly over 18 and aged around 21 to 30, and view it as an infringment of my liberties (as many people 25 to 30 can invariably look under 25 tho well over 18). I suspect if this latest stunt 'doesn't work', which it won't IMO because the reality of the problem is that it is a staff quality/training/responsibility (and sometimes a profit related) issue that allows selling to underage drinkers, then it's a further step towards compulsory ID for the purchase of alcohol. Bollocks to any form of compulsory ID IMO.

For the '25 rule' - best advice is to ID everyone without wrinkles. I'd personally be very pissed off about this if I was clearly over 18 and aged around 21 to 30, and view it as an infringment of my liberties (as many people 25 to 30 can invariably look under 25 tho well over 18). I suspect if this latest stunt 'doesn't work', which it won't IMO because the reality of the problem is that it is a staff quality/training/responsibility (and sometimes a profit related) issue that allows selling to underage drinkers, then it's a further step towards compulsory ID for the purchase of alcohol. Bollocks to any form of compulsory ID IMO.

That's right. Lets not apply common sense or assume any degree or risk. Lets just ask for ID for anyone under sixty five just in case they MIGHT be under eighteen years old. Is this an IOM Government strategy ..... yes lets just make sure that nobody can be to blame for absolutely anything.

Seriously though I have a friend (aged 22 and looks it) who wanted to buy a packet of cigarettes from the Spar on the prom who was refused service by the lady behind the counter on the grounds he did not look of age and she had not served him before (?) (although she had). Fortunately his 18 year old girlfriend with him had ID and she was able to purchase said cigarettes.

I suppose one should not blame shopkeepers who feel they have to impose these ridiculous rules to ensure they do not fall foul of the law and the ssanctions that may bring, and the employees who live in fear of losing their jobs However having to look 25 to buy a product you can legally buy at 18 sems a bit of overkill.

The world has gone mad. (I remember being sent up to the newsagents as an 8 year old nipper to get 10 Players No 6 for my ma and even resisting the temptation to have a sneaky one on the way back home.)

And the trouble with the ID thing is that it tends to spread to daft things like buying a teaspoon:

Nanny Knows Best

The lady was trying to buy some teaspoons, and was flabbergasted to find that she needed ID. The assistant informed her that it was because someone had murdered someone with a teaspoon, and therefore ID was now required.

It's on the till receipt:

Teaspoons - ID required !

How long before that bollocks come over here?

I am gutted that I have never been ID'd when buying Jack Daniels at the local Co-op !!!! Botox maybe????

:rolleyes:

They understand your desperation.

It must be that "look" in my eyes...lol

Archived