At Least Dick Turpin Wore A Mask!

Keith

I know complaining about the robbing Steam Racket is nothing new on these forums but I'm moved to mention them again after just trying to book a sailing.

Isle of Man-Heysham or Liverpool. Car & one passenger return...

Hundred quid or so? Nah, it's a Bank Holiday weekend and near to TT so it is bound to be more than that...

Two hundred quid? Well, that would be robbery but about what I expected to have to pay for the pleasure...

£297!!!!

I kid ye not, £300 for a car and one passenger! How on earth do they justify that? I know someone who is planning a trip to the Shetland Islands. An eight hour trip that is less than half what the Steam Racket charge. And they offer a discount to island residents, AND they offer a 'friends & family' discount to island residents to nominate people on the mainland who want to visit. How do they manage that while the Steam Racket squeeze us until the pips squeak?

I HAVE to travel, because it is work related. I'm carrying too much stuff to fly. I'm pretty much stuck with paying what they demand. I wonder what they would charge if we didn't have a gutless OFT or better still, there was an opportunity of competition? Still, at least now they are charging the earth they have incorperated the "fuel surcharge" (rather than remove it!)

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'll sure as hell not buy as much as a coffee while I'm on board...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The little darlings get better! I thought "I wonder how much it is with two passengers? If it is the same or close, my wife may want a trip away with me"

Car + 2...

£378.

Anyone got any thoughts as to why tourism is in decline?

I'm travelling around TT time - taking family plus car across - the price made me blanch - thought its got to be cheaper to fly and rent a car - nope the blinking airlines were even worse before adding on the cost of a hire car - trapped on the rock unless you want to pay out sheds. Not good.

I know complaining about the robbing Steam Racket is nothing new on these forums but I'm moved to mention them again after just trying to book a sailing. .

Hey there is a recession on you know, and they need to recover the cost of the new flagship mannanan Muppet, that they bought off another of their fastly failing companys

Did you work out how much it would be to travel as a foot pasanger and hire a car? I saved myself £100 by doing that last year.

Thought about that, and the fly-drive, but I've got a lot of items to carry with me so not practical... No choice but to be fleeced once again.

I've made a discovery. I went on to their site, and looked for the price for a sailing, i can't remember what it was, but then later i went on to find out again, and the price had gone up. I thought it was strange, so next day, I went on again, and the price had gone up further. I then deleted my browsing history, cookies and all, and then went to find the price again...it was back down to the original price.

I'm not sure if this is legal. It's like they're trying to scare people into buying!

This was about a year ago, don't know if it happens now though.

make the bitch walk on.

Lmao

-How to make friends in five words

I'd like to be able to travel on and off the Island for less as much as anyone else, but why does everyone expect these companies to run as charities? If they dpon't make a profit they won't stay and we'll be completely goosed. Anyone who bleats about monopolies, and thinks the Island could sustain a competitor needs their heads read. Likewise those who complain about broadband prices etc. There are just over 80k people here, we will only ever sustain a certain level of business, and will always have to pay a premium for certain services. Get over it or move to a country with a bigger population.

The prices are driven by a need to remain viable, and supply and demand. A bank Holiday weekend near TT will be expensive, especially if you only book a couple of weeks in advance.

Don't you dare post any more of this reasoned, sensible, thoughtful, realistic drivel again Rednik, it'll be the death of this forum!

Death I tell you!

Don't you dare post any more of this reasoned, sensible, thoughtful, realistic drivel again Rednik, it'll be the death of this forum!

Death I tell you!

Not sure I agree fully. I can't argue with the the central point, which is that we will always have to pay more because A) we are an island, so access costs are high, and B) we are small so economies of scale are limited.

However, that doesn't give monopoly operators carte blanche to charge whatever they like. There is a much too cosy relationship between Manx Telecom and the government in my view, and I am quite sure they could bring down prices if they needed to and still turn a good profit.

The same goes for the Racket. Brightspark may be rather strident in his views, but his points are valid nonetheless.

S

Death I tell you!

Sage words from a man whose employment (s), radio/IOM Newspapers is part funded by Steam Packet Company adverts.

Archived