At Least Dick Turpin Wore A Mask!

Keith

Like everone else I would like cheaper fares .

But I have just booked to go out on friday 22nd May returning 26th May (ie over the Bank Holiday weekend ) Car +2, return £232 . Expensive, but if you are flexible about your sailing times not as bad as some are saying .

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to be able to travel on and off the Island for less as much as anyone else, but why does everyone expect these companies to run as charities? If they dpon't make a profit they won't stay and we'll be completely goosed. Anyone who bleats about monopolies, and thinks the Island could sustain a competitor needs their heads read. Likewise those who complain about broadband prices etc. There are just over 80k people here, we will only ever sustain a certain level of business, and will always have to pay a premium for certain services. Get over it or move to a country with a bigger population.

The prices are driven by a need to remain viable, and supply and demand. A bank Holiday weekend near TT will be expensive, especially if you only book a couple of weeks in advance.

While I can understand your perspective from a capitalist need to run a business at a profit, I think we need to also consider whether transport links on and off the island are a public service or a means to make a profit.

If you look for example at the ‘Highlands and Islands’ air services in Scotland you will see that they are run on a subsidised basis that means the services do not necessarily make a profit. They are first and foremost, a public service that keep the islands in touch with (I hate to use this word) the ‘mainland’.

Without giving carte blanch to the racket or any airline, I think our Government needs to consider the implications of overly expensive or unreliable transport services on and off the island, whether by sea or air.

Dear Andy, I know your comment was tongue in cheek, but when you look at how much the Government has thrown at Manx Radio as a public service, those who live in glass houses! :D

Don't you dare post any more of this reasoned, sensible, thoughtful, realistic drivel again Rednik, it'll be the death of this forum!

Death I tell you!

Not sure I agree fully. I can't argue with the the central point, which is that we will always have to pay more because A) we are an island, so access costs are high, and B) we are small so economies of scale are limited.

However, that doesn't give monopoly operators carte blanche to charge whatever they like. There is a much too cosy relationship between Manx Telecom and the government in my view, and I am quite sure they could bring down prices if they needed to and still turn a good profit.

The same goes for the Racket. Brightspark may be rather strident in his views, but his points are valid nonetheless.

S

i find myself in agreement too, but there comes a point ( many would say we are well past it ) when the cost is too high in that it puts more people of using the 'service' :rolleyes: than just those that 'have' to travel. i think more people would use the boat, and i'm wanting to encourage visitors, if the cost was seen to be on par with other destinations. if the IOW ferry suddenly went to steam packet prices, the passenger numbers would drop off the chart. i personally think 'bums on seats' should be the intention, not just keep putting up the cost to compensate for those that are no longer willing to pay the price. i'd rather see less sailings at near capacity, than boats sailing for tha sake of it.

Just booked car and two to Liverpool out on a friday back sunday in July cheapest deal £332.00. I walked past a travel agent today and noted a week all inclusive in what was described as a five star hotel in Turkey for £335.00 !! added perspective for me !!

Whilst I appreciate all the arguments about small market size and financial viability there has to be a point at which fares become the number one driver behind growth or indeed lack of it and I believe we are certainly at the very top of what the market can stand and it is crying out for competition or some regulation in regards to a captive audience who have to use the service !

Anyone who bleats about monopolies, and thinks the Island could sustain a competitor needs their heads read. Likewise those who complain about broadband prices etc. There are just over 80k people here, we will only ever sustain a certain level of business, and will always have to pay a premium for certain services. Get over it or move to a country with a bigger population. The prices are driven by a need to remain viable, and supply and demand.
i find myself in agreement too, but there comes a point ( many would say we are well past it ) when the cost is too high in that it puts more people of using the 'service' than just those that 'have' to travel. i think more people would use the boat, and i'm wanting to encourage visitors, if the cost was seen to be on par with other destinations.... i'd rather see less sailings at near capacity, than boats sailing for tha sake of it.

Rednik I think your view is too simplistic and quasi-commercial. WTF comments seem more to the point to me. Let me explain...

I recall that Mark Woodward stated that the utilisation of IOMSPC ships is less than 40% and that it is impossible to use marketing techniques because the 84,000 islanders are not a large enough market for them to have any big impact. I still find this attitude amazing from a CEO. The IOMSPC sits plumb in the middle of a 70 million market and they do not think marketing is useful????? The same CEO has said that he does not want to reduce sailing speeds to reduce fuel useage even though he has also said that fuel is the biggest operational cost for the IOMSPC (and thus has one of the biggest impact on fares). The new 'ship' that is coming into service apparently uses more fuel than the one it is replacing. Progressive thinking...

IMO this is where monopolies become a problem. They create lazy management thinking. Having competition keeps people on their toes.

If we have a sea transport monopoly IMO it would be better for this to be a nationalised monopoly that can be run for the interests of the Island, rather than a private sector monopoly that will be run (naturally) for the interest of shareholders with no interest in the Island. Personally I hate monopolies but we have marginally more influence over politicians here than we have over managers of a subsidiary superannuation fund within Macquarie Bank.

A few points:-

1. Highlands and Islands comparison is for subsidised travel within a single tax raising jurisidiction c.f IoM to UK/Ireland. Scottish Islands travel subsidy is already under review, as stated above.

2. The journey you want to book is almost certainly going to be a category A or B sailing (i.e most expensive fares) and the categorisation of starting level or basic 'non-offfer' fares is set out in one of the timetables (i.e A, B, C, etc.)

3. Your £100-odd rtn is frankly unrealistic; most of the winter offers don't come in at the level if you're travelling over the weekend.

4. The earlier I book and the more flexible I am with times and dates, the cheaper I find it is.

Anyone who bleats about monopolies, and thinks the Island could sustain a competitor needs their heads read. Likewise those who complain about broadband prices etc. There are just over 80k people here, we will only ever sustain a certain level of business, and will always have to pay a premium for certain services. Get over it or move to a country with a bigger population. The prices are driven by a need to remain viable, and supply and demand.
i find myself in agreement too, but there comes a point ( many would say we are well past it ) when the cost is too high in that it puts more people of using the 'service' than just those that 'have' to travel. i think more people would use the boat, and i'm wanting to encourage visitors, if the cost was seen to be on par with other destinations.... i'd rather see less sailings at near capacity, than boats sailing for tha sake of it.

Rednik I think your view is too simplistic and quasi-commercial. WTF comments seem more to the point to me. Let me explain...

I recall that Mark Woodward stated that the utilisation of IOMSPC ships is less than 40% and that it is impossible to use marketing techniques because the 84,000 islanders are not a large enough market for them to have any big impact. I still find this attitude amazing from a CEO. The IOMSPC sits plumb in the middle of a 70 million market and they do not think marketing is useful????? The same CEO has said that he does not want to reduce sailing speeds to reduce fuel useage even though he has also said that fuel is the biggest operational cost for the IOMSPC (and thus has one of the biggest impact on fares). The new 'ship' that is coming into service apparently uses more fuel than the one it is replacing. Progressive thinking...

IMO this is where monopolies become a problem. They create lazy management thinking. Having competition keeps people on their toes.

If we have a sea transport monopoly IMO it would be better for this to be a nationalised monopoly that can be run for the interests of the Island, rather than a private sector monopoly that will be run (naturally) for the interest of shareholders with no interest in the Island. Personally I hate monopolies but we have marginally more influence over politicians here than we have over managers of a subsidiary superannuation fund within Macquarie Bank.

If ships are sailing at 40% capacity would it not be good management practice to try and sell some of the spare capacity at a price which would attract more people to fill the seats ? surely even at a cheap cost to the traveller this makes that sailing more cost effective for the shareholders ?

In regards to competition I cannot see why the stenna boats going to Ireland (who on average sail only 43% full) could not stop off on the journey to unload and load here in both ways, this would make the capacity of these boat ustilised more efficiently and keep prices down, the stopover here would only had about 90 minutes max and I am sure many people would not mind this extra in return for cheaper fares that could be charged due to increased passengers. This would also have the effect of a better service to Ireland for us and a better class of vessel.

they are probably too big for Island facilities ?

however the single user agreement is designed to avoid any possible competition - my old estimate is that this agreement (entered into via corruption or total incompetance) costs each Manx household about £1000/year. There is a significant question that needs asking about how the 'value' of the racket increased to over £200M when its only assets were not worth 20% of this - and also how this value shot up in the transfers between two holding companies.

if the IOW ferry suddenly went to steam packet prices, the passenger numbers would drop off the chart.....

'Down' to Steam Packet prices? Never travelled to the Isle of Wight much I guess?

Route 1 - Portsmouth to Fishbourne

Departure Date/Time: Fri 10 July 2009 at 0800

Arrival Date/Time: Fri 10 July 2009 at 0835

Passengers: 2 Adults

Transport: Car

Length : Less than 6 metres

Height : Less than 2.25 metres

Route 2 - Fishbourne to Portsmouth

Departure Date/Time: Sun 12 July 2009 at 1900

Arrival Date/Time: Sun 12 July 2009 at 1935

Passengers: 2 Adults

Transport: Car

Length : Less than 6 metres

Height : Less than 2.25 metres

The total price of your tickets will be 124.80 GBP

For a 35 minute journey? about 7 miles.

Ouch

you will just have to go august bank holiday instead:

Isle of Man >Liverpool

Fri 21st Aug, 09 07:30 (arrive 10:00)

Liverpool >Isle of Man

Mon 24th Aug, 09 19:30 (arrive 22:00)

Car + 2 = £248.00

still cheaper to hire a car

Car 2 adults 2 children under 12 out On the 5th june back on the 12th june £480 TOSSERS!!! To top it off the D.O.E change there mind and say you can take kids on holiday in term time. :angry: TT SPECIAL OFFERS MY ARSE

The TT offers are special no doubt. Special time for the Racket to rip us all off.

Archived