At Least Dick Turpin Wore A Mask!

Keith

well there is a couple of options,

dont go on your hols,

or get that boat for the vary last time one way,

you come to get used to being robbed of certin things when liveing on an island, (fuel)

but really is it that bad,

so what if u live in england you can jump on a plane for for 99p, or just drive for 6 hours and go some were new for say £30

you have to take the rough with the smooth, and i would say theres more smooth with liveing here than rough,

stop wineing and get on with life,

so what u have to save a little bit longer, or maybe u cant go down the pub as much or pay for that new flatscreen tv,

big deal, lifes to short

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are first and foremost, a public service that keep the islands in touch with (I hate to use this word) the ‘mainland’.

Without giving carte blanch to the racket or any airline, I think our Government needs to consider the implications of overly expensive or unreliable transport services on and off the island, whether by sea or air.

If you hate to use the word 'mainland' why did you use it?! To true Manx it is definitely not the mainland, and to the many Irish who live here they'd prefer to keep in touch with their family in Ireland.

That apart, it cost me £500 recently for a one way ticket for 2 (no car) on Eurostar from Paris to Ashford in Kent. Made the Steam Packet seem as cheap as chips.

I know complaining about the robbing Steam Racket is nothing new on these forums but I'm moved to mention them again after just trying to book a sailing.

Isle of Man-Heysham or Liverpool. Car & one passenger return...

Hundred quid or so? Nah, it's a Bank Holiday weekend and near to TT so it is bound to be more than that...

Two hundred quid? Well, that would be robbery but about what I expected to have to pay for the pleasure...

£297!!!!

I kid ye not, £300 for a car and one passenger! How on earth do they justify that? I know someone who is planning a trip to the Shetland Islands. An eight hour trip that is less than half what the Steam Racket charge. And they offer a discount to island residents, AND they offer a 'friends & family' discount to island residents to nominate people on the mainland who want to visit. How do they manage that while the Steam Racket squeeze us until the pips squeak?

I HAVE to travel, because it is work related. I'm carrying too much stuff to fly. I'm pretty much stuck with paying what they demand. I wonder what they would charge if we didn't have a gutless OFT or better still, there was an opportunity of competition? Still, at least now they are charging the earth they have incorperated the "fuel surcharge" (rather than remove it!)

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'll sure as hell not buy as much as a coffee while I'm on board...

The reason for high prices at weekends is simple.. its people returning "home" after a long working week in arsehole street.and of course they feel that they have to come back to do it all again week after week after week

They are first and foremost, a public service that keep the islands in touch with (I hate to use this word) the 'mainland'.

Without giving carte blanch to the racket or any airline, I think our Government needs to consider the implications of overly expensive or unreliable transport services on and off the island, whether by sea or air.

If you hate to use the word 'mainland' why did you use it?! To true Manx it is definitely not the mainland

It's only a word - you shouldn't get hung up on it , true Manx or not.

They are first and foremost, a public service that keep the islands in touch with (I hate to use this word) the ‘mainland’.

If you hate to use the word 'mainland' why did you use it?! To true Manx it is definitely not the mainland, and to the many Irish who live here they'd prefer to keep in touch with their family in Ireland.

That apart, it cost me £500 recently for a one way ticket for 2 (no car) on Eurostar from Paris to Ashford in Kent. Made the Steam Packet seem as cheap as chips.

I used the word 'mainland' because I couldn't think of a better description at the time. But you did get me thinking about it and I think I probably was right to term the relationship between the Scottish Highlands and Islands, and er, well, mainland Scotland, because that is exactly what it is. Unlike the UK's relationship with the Isle of Man and Southern Ireland where it would indeed be incorrect to term those places 'mainland' in relation to here. You will note that I wasn't talking about the Isle of Man or Southern Ireland at the time.

What do the residents of the Scottish Highlands and Islands call their relationship to the Scottish, er, 'mainland'?

I was quoted 280 Euros return from Brussels to London on the Eurostar a couple of moths ago. I flew for less than half the price.

I used the word 'mainland' because I couldn't think of a better description at the time.

How about "That shithole across many people are glad they escaped from"

I used the word 'mainland' because I couldn't think of a better description at the time.

How about "That shithole across many people are glad they escaped from"

Nice one Jim!

I quite like the idea for the stenna line dropping off, dont know if that would mean our freight prices would rise though. (dont want to pay 8p for a tin of no frills beans).

do many people remember the early 80's when manx line set up in compitition with the racket - the result, both companies nearly went under before manx line pulled out. it was a great shame at the time but both companies could not compete in a limited market threashold.

i only ever fly now (and hire a car if i need to), the boat is just to expensive!

It's a kick in the teeth to all Isle Of Man residents. I personally haven't used the steam packet for 10 years as I don't drive and feel that I can get just as ripped off by the airlines on the island, but ultimately will get me to my destination far quicker.

Archived