Mp's Expenses

Chinahand

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If MPs were employed, as opposed to self-employed, they would be fired.

Fixed.

That's what elections are for.

Now is a GREAT time to stand as an independent candidate.

S

I note that, even though they have a number of MPs involved with this widespread fraud, the Conservatives are trying to take advantage of the scandal by calling for an election (which they would surely win).

Typical politicians.

The speaker oversaw the fees office which approved much of the skullduggery.

Wrong as it happens. A friend of mine works there. He's even on his guard talking to me because of all the complete and utter bs the Torygraph is throwing around.

There are, at least, two sides to this - a corrupt system which had ceased to have any connection with "real" expenses for doing Parliamentry work outside the consituency; and examples where MPs fraudulantly make claims beyond those even allowed under this corrupt system.

I think this is wrong as well. The "system" such as it is can obviously be taken advantage of so many did. I'm also pretty sure that after it's introduction slowly but surely the loopholes were exploited until they were all at it i.e. it had become "common practice" and a therefore a "perk" and if they are all at it then it can't be wrong. Such is the human condition known as greed.

I note that, even though they have a number of MPs involved with this widespread fraud, the Conservatives are trying to take advantage of the scandal by calling for an election (which they would surely win).

Typical politicians.

What has been forgotten in the furore is how exactly all this came about.

It's not called the "Torygraph" for nothing. I mean, the word "partisan" scarcely does it justice. All the brainless "Brown Bashers" take note. The reason the Torygraph paid through the nose is exactly the same reason Gordon Brown made the decision to publicise their expenses in the first place. Because they are both absolutely certain that the excesses by the so-called Tory Grandees would undoubtedly put the Labour lot to shame as far as fraud goes and the total amounts claimed. After all, there is only so much a gardener can claim against working a semi in Southampton as opposed to a manor house in Wiltshire.

Don't forget the full story won't be out for a few months yet. THAT'S the time the parties should be compared.

All the brainless "Brown Bashers" take note.

Foxtrot Oscar. There's plenty to bash Broon aboot. And Cameron, and Clague.

This expenses saga is different though - it's quite a few MPs that smell, but the whole house stinks of it.

All the brainless "Brown Bashers" take note.

Foxtrot Oscar.

If the cap fits...

Agree with you over MEP's though:

Dyed-in-the-wool Tories Chichester and Dover put their Westminster colleagues to shame. ONLY claiming for chandeliers???? Pffffft !!!!!!! Just not trying hard enough.....

I reckon that if I had been an MP and if everyone else was doing it and said something like "that's the system", "that's how it works" etc etc --- well I don't know whether I would have done any different. I could self righteously say that I would have - but I don't know. It might just have seemed normal. Same as people have talked for years about 'perks'.

I mean if everyone tells you that something is fine then maybe you do it.

I know plenty of people who think nothing of doing work cash - in - hand on the IOM or who have said things to me about tax forms not being overly scrutinized and that I am stupid for being so exact. And we all know that there are plenty of contracts handed out which are not quite right and that the British newspapers have got a cheek for pointing the finger at anyone.

What this all actually shows is that Parliament is just like the rest of the society.

EDIT: as with everything else - the people I most distrust are those who will be the most self righteous about all this. Hello Nigel Farrage and your supercilious half grin.

The speaker oversaw the fees office which approved much of the skullduggery.

Wrong as it happens. A friend of mine works there. He's even on his guard talking to me because of all the complete and utter bs the Torygraph is throwing around.

There are, at least, two sides to this - a corrupt system which had ceased to have any connection with "real" expenses for doing Parliamentry work outside the consituency; and examples where MPs fraudulantly make claims beyond those even allowed under this corrupt system.

I think this is wrong as well. The "system" such as it is can obviously be taken advantage of so many did. I'm also pretty sure that after it's introduction slowly but surely the loopholes were exploited until they were all at it i.e. it had become "common practice" and a therefore a "perk" and if they are all at it then it can't be wrong. Such is the human condition known as greed.

Typical politicians.

What has been forgotten in the furore is how exactly all this came about.

It's not called the "Torygraph" for nothing. I mean, the word "partisan" scarcely does it justice. All the brainless "Brown Bashers" take note. The reason the Torygraph paid through the nose is exactly the same reason Gordon Brown made the decision to publicise their expenses in the first place. Because they are both absolutely certain that the excesses by the so-called Tory Grandees would undoubtedly put the Labour lot to shame as far as fraud goes and the total amounts claimed. After all, there is only so much a gardener can claim against working a semi in Southampton as opposed to a manor house in Wiltshire.

Don't forget the full story won't be out for a few months yet. THAT'S the time the parties should be compared.

Another "well-balanced" post from PK. I mean, the word "partisan" scarcely does it justice.

S

preferably compulsory voting to go with it.

But some have good reasons and good sense not to vote in recognising that no reforms are going to resolve the problems that come with having power in the hands of a few politicians. I don't want to be a part of that system by voting for it.

The intelligent anarchist votes for everybody on the paper, and thereby spoils his vote.

S

I spotted this petition the other day Petition and cannot understand why so few people have signed it.

I loathe the idea of 'spoiling' a ballot paper, or voting for someone I don't respect or not voting at all. This, to me, is the perfect answer to register one's view.

I spotted this petition the other day Petition and cannot understand why so few people have signed it.

I loathe the idea of 'spoiling' a ballot paper, or voting for someone I don't respect or not voting at all. This, to me, is the perfect answer to register one's view.

I would suppose that so few have signed it because it does basically serve the same purpose as spoiling your ballot paper, only it is more specific in terms of why it has been spoilt. But it is implied that if someone goes to the polling booth to cast a vote yet spoils a paper it shows they have the desire to participate in the system, but simply do not care for vote for any of the candidates. Do you not think?

Voting someone you don't respect? What do you mean by respect? Do you mean just voting for the hell of it?

Given you want to vote, then not voting would not be your choice anyway.

Weak doesn't even get close...

Lord Rennard (Lib Dem) and Sir Peter Viggers (Tory) both resign to "spend more time with their families". Strange that as with a £30k gardening bill they certainly weren't spending their time digging up weeds, or "landscaping" as the Tories put it.

How many more to go I wonder???

Pedant alert! Noticed a few posts back a typo made by Albert. He gave us Manx Clague, instead of Yorkshire Clegg. You should go a step further and spell 'Cameron' as 'Camhroin' the Manx Gaelic version of his family name's real Scottish Gaelic spelling 'Camshroin' (Crooked Nose).

Archived