Taxpayers' £50k Bill For Cannes Film Festival Superyacht

slinkydevil

.....I wonder what Cretney's council house voters think about him twatting around the Med on his luxury yacht pretending to be Cubby Brocoli at the taxpayers expense.

Tad sensationalist n'est ce pas?

I don't see why. Budgets are being slashed, services are being cut back and the taxpayer hires two yachts to advertise what is essentially a VAT fiddle to a cash strapped industry.

I think that we forget what the film industry actually is - a VAT fiddle first and foremost. Lets not pretend that it brings any substance to our economy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its more a corporation tax structuring advantage than a "VAT fiddle".....and £50k seems somewhat of a bargain for that kind of exposure if you ask me.

Do you? Well maybe if anyone could be arsed providing a cost / benefit analysis then we'd know. The truth is that the tax payer threw tens of millions of pounds into the film development fund and its never even published accounts showing what return on investment (if any) has been provided. On this basis I think £50k just to toss yourself off in Cannes thinking your some big wig is not good use of public funds.

If everyone thought like that, no one would ever go into business. Budgets may be reduced, but most departments do not produce any income unlike others (film and ship registry for eg). Even the IOM Govt. has to put money into it's business and this is no different. On the face of it, it looks like a nice jolly and probably is. But somebody has to do it.

We could have just sent out a couple of Peel girls I suppose. Theyre not shy in hanging around harbours (or so they tell me), and could have walked up and down handing out flyers and free ham baps.

I'll get my coat...............

If everyone thought like that, no one would ever go into business. Budgets may be reduced, but most departments do not produce any income unlike others (film and ship registry for eg). Even the IOM Govt. has to put money into it's business and this is no different. On the face of it, it looks like a nice jolly and probably is. But somebody has to do it.

We could have just sent out a couple of Peel girls I suppose. Theyre not shy in hanging around harbours (or so they tell me), and could have walked up and down handing out flyers and free ham baps.

I'll get my coat...............

I have to say the bit about corporate governance ..... ie, that despite the millions and millions pumped into the fund by the taxpayer nothing showing whether any profit (or more importantly any loss) has ever been produced by the film commission ....... is true. Its sad that people get wrapped up in the film industry being "sexy" and that luxury yachts are justified expense. Frankly nothing of note has happened in the film industry here for years, and yes we should invest into getting new business here but not when no figures have ever been produced showing whether we've ever had any return on investment.

Before the UK cottoned on the Manx government got about £200 mil in VAT, since then any films made here are not funded by the taxpayer

However the Film Commission is still tax funded

In addition to the VAT revenue crews spent a lot locally and a percatage of the gross comes back to us

IMO the boat they got at Cannes is a fucking dinghy compared to some of the kit down there, just round the corner in Antibes is Paul Allen's second boat "Tatoosh"

Now that's what you call boat

post-2497-1242680071_thumb.jpg

Before the UK cottoned on the Manx government got about £200 mil in VAT, since then any films made here are not funded by the taxpayer

However the Film Commission is still tax funded

In addition to the VAT revenue crews spent a lot locally and a percatage of the gross comes back to us

IMO the boat they got at Cannes is a fucking dinghy compared to some of the kit down there, just round the corner in Antibes is Paul Allen's second boat "Tatoosh"

Now that's what you call boat

That's the figure I heard - £200 million so far into our coffers. Mind you that's over ten years. Just enough to pay for the Hospital and the Power Station. So, Ban This Sort of Yachty Extravagance.

Nice.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Taxpayers39...nnes.5276023.jp

Do we still make films here?

TT ones, it appears:

CinemaNX on Tourists Trophy track

CANNES -- CinemaNX, the Isle of Man's government-backed production and finance body, is looking to capture the thrills and spills of the island's famous Tourists Trophy motorcycle road race.

The agency, which has a rolling fund of about £50 million ($76 million), will capture 3-D footage with cameras mounted on bikes and at strategic points along the road course during next month's race.

TT in 3D - yes please :)

Archived