Taxpayers' £50k Bill For Cannes Film Festival Superyacht

slinkydevil

You and your 'foyets', huff.

Anyway, sat in said yacht, complete with me wellies, and people are looking at me all strange, so I said 'I'm waiting for Cheesypeas'.

So they bundled me off the boat, saying something like 'we don't need your sort here!'.

Odd really.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd hang back and see what the crew thought of you.

Based on their response, have cancelled Easyjet to Nice and will settle for kerb crawling Peel harbour. (or Peel Hill if I can borrow the wellies).

£200 million income? And what were the costs and expenses associated with that income as it ai't worth alot unless it produces a decent profit.

With regard to the boat isn't CinemaNX funded by the Government, so is it not rather disenfgenuous to say we the tax payer are only picking up 50% of the cost.

That's the figure I heard - £200 million so far into our coffers. Mind you that's over ten years. Just enough to pay for the Hospital and the Power Station. So, Ban This Sort of Yachty Extravagance.

Gladys is lieing! ...or should that be lying? Just read this account of the 'unknown' woman here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...urally-sex.html

'During the festival it's all sex, sex, sex,' he says. 'Especially on the yachts, where there is always lots of group sex. But then that's what billionaires like to spend their money on.'

Come on lady, own up. :)

If everyone thought like that, no one would ever go into business. Budgets may be reduced, but most departments do not produce any income unlike others (film and ship registry for eg). Even the IOM Govt. has to put money into it's business and this is no different. On the face of it, it looks like a nice jolly and probably is. But somebody has to do it.

We could have just sent out a couple of Peel girls I suppose. Theyre not shy in hanging around harbours (or so they tell me), and could have walked up and down handing out flyers and free ham baps.

I'll get my coat...............

I have to say the bit about corporate governance ..... ie, that despite the millions and millions pumped into the fund by the taxpayer nothing showing whether any profit (or more importantly any loss) has ever been produced by the film commission ....... is true. Its sad that people get wrapped up in the film industry being "sexy" and that luxury yachts are justified expense. Frankly nothing of note has happened in the film industry here for years, and yes we should invest into getting new business here but not when no figures have ever been produced showing whether we've ever had any return on investment.

Return on investment in today's Observer by Jason Solomons film critic.

Rumours and Curios 'I had lunch on the Isle of Man yacht and saw a slice of The Disappearance of Alice Creed'

It's worth 50K of anybody's money to get a mention like that.

If everyone thought like that, no one would ever go into business. Budgets may be reduced, but most departments do not produce any income unlike others (film and ship registry for eg). Even the IOM Govt. has to put money into it's business and this is no different. On the face of it, it looks like a nice jolly and probably is. But somebody has to do it.

We could have just sent out a couple of Peel girls I suppose. Theyre not shy in hanging around harbours (or so they tell me), and could have walked up and down handing out flyers and free ham baps.

I'll get my coat...............

I have to say the bit about corporate governance ..... ie, that despite the millions and millions pumped into the fund by the taxpayer nothing showing whether any profit (or more importantly any loss) has ever been produced by the film commission ....... is true. Its sad that people get wrapped up in the film industry being "sexy" and that luxury yachts are justified expense. Frankly nothing of note has happened in the film industry here for years, and yes we should invest into getting new business here but not when no figures have ever been produced showing whether we've ever had any return on investment.

Return on investment in today's Observer by Jason Solomons film critic.

Rumours and Curios 'I had lunch on the Isle of Man yacht and saw a slice of The Disappearance of Alice Creed'

It's worth 50K of anybody's money to get a mention like that.

For £50k you could buy a two page advert in the Guardian. I think your being a touch melodramatic.

£200 million income? And what were the costs and expenses associated with that income as it ai't worth alot unless it produces a decent profit.

I don't know the exact number, but there are only a handful of staff

I would think in straight cost/benefit terms this must be the most profitable branch of government

Apart from the VAT office, obviously

Archived