[BBC News] Island's digital switch countdown

Newsbot

I can't wait for the kick off when people realise we will only get half the channels people have elsewhere

Satellite for the win!

Well quite, but how many people have picked up one of those Setanta packs from the shelves of Tesco expecting it to magically turn on on 18th June.

There are going to be a lot of unhappy people.

Can anyone tell me which of the many digi boxes is half decent? ta.

I'm using a couple of old Sky boxes until the Freesat HDPVR ones come down in price.

if the figures in the paper are correct that 82% of the houses on the Island already have digital satellite reception, wouldn't it be cheaper to just give away digi sat boxes to the remainder than converting all the local transmitters to digital ? - that way you'll get more channels than freeview will broadcast anyway.

I can't wait for the kick off when people realise we will only get half the channels people have elsewhere

Satellite for the win!

Well quite, but how many people have picked up one of those Setanta packs from the shelves of Tesco expecting it to magically turn on on 18th June.

There are going to be a lot of unhappy people.

When I looked at the planned channel lineup for pretty much all of the local repeaters in the borders region I found they're pretty much the same. I presume more multiplexes will appear on the repeaters as the process moves forwards in neighbouring regions.

When I looked at the planned channel lineup for pretty much all of the local repeaters in the borders region I found they're pretty much the same. I presume more multiplexes will appear on the repeaters as the process moves forwards in neighbouring regions.

As far as I can tell it's:

June: BBC One North West 2 BBC Two England 7 BBC Three 9 BBC Four 70 CBBC Channel 71 CBeebies 80 BBC News

July: ITV1 Border England 4 Channel 4 5 FIVE 6 ITV2 10 ITV3 13 Channel 4+1 14 More4 24 ITV4 28 E4 85 BBC Parliament 87 Community 100 Teletext 101 Teletext Holidays

December: Channel 4 HD ITV HD BBC HD

Wow - you guys are going to be the first of the main switch over.... we go in November. TBH There are some good channels and some bad ones ( Virgin one is good ) but for those of you facing over here Douglas side I would have thought with a hi gain you may be able to get the Lancaster or Barrow transmitters.....

Terran

Archived