Goodbye Horse Trams?

johnquayleiom

£5 return for adults

£3 return for chidren.

£16 for a family of 4 (2 parents 2 kids) to do a lap of the prom? Ridiculous.

I have never really bothered with Douglas council but now i think they are a bunch of absolute idiots. Braindead and incompetent.

Whether you like the horse trams or not that price is absolutely ridiculous. Gone are the days when you would jump on the next tram to get along the prom. Now you have to get a mortgage just to get on them.

Personaly i think the idiots at town hall have gone too far this time and that sadly this will be the end of the trams.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
£5 return for adults

£3 return for chidren.

I have never really bothered with Douglas council but now i think they are a bunch of absolute idiots. Braindead and incompetent.

Whether you like the horse trams or not that price is absolutely ridiculous. Gone are the days when you would jump on the next tram to get along the prom. Now you have to get a mortgage just to get on them.

Personaly i think the idiots at town hall have gone too far this time and that sadly this will be the end of the trams.

The only answer is a monorail

I drove past two heaving steaming piles of horse poo on the prom today - I can only imagine that one of the horses must have had a curry at the weekend and blew his nappy off.

You're kidding ar'nt you,i have been looking out for a nappy wearing horse but i hav'nt managed to find one yet,i guess they're are all too embarrassed to be the first one to parade around with one of those stuck to their butts.The thought of a possible "nappy rash" does'nt bare thinking about either.

I wish they could extend the promenade and run the trams on there instead of the middle of the road where it is now (would have been nice if they had done that to run the IRIS pipes through).

If nothing else they could run it the full length of the prom and link it to the electric trams then.

I hope it never happens, but I'm surprised there haven't been more accidents involving people getting on and off the trams as they're currently run.

I hope it never happens, but I'm surprised there haven't been more accidents involving people getting on and off the trams as they're currently run.

There have been accidents in the past, more of course when they were more popular and people used to run and jump on/off them all the time. But there again there have been accidents when people have had to run for buses too. Most people know to look out for horsetrams, they're fairly obvious. The staff are trained too to stop people just jumping on/off before they are stopped etc.

£5 return for adults

£3 return for chidren.

The only answer is a monorail

Nope a better answer would be an electric tram system connecting the main population areas, clean and relativly cheap to run, they would avoid the traffic so they would be a hell of a lot quicker than using either a bus or car, have them run regularly, maybe every 10-15 minutes at peak time and make them cheaper than driving, something the bus isnt.

Nope a better answer would be an electric tram system connecting the main population areas, clean and relativly cheap to run, they would avoid the traffic so they would be a hell of a lot quicker than using either a bus or car, have them run regularly, maybe every 10-15 minutes at peak time and make them cheaper than driving, something the bus isnt.

And 'encourage' people onto them by introducing an island wide 30mph speed limit, doubling fuel duty, limiting one car per household and banning cars in town centers. Vote for me!

And 'encourage' people onto them by introducing an island wide 30mph speed limit,

Nothing if not predictable fella.... :lol:

You wouldn't see much change out of £300 million for that. A monorail would definitely be a much cheaper option.

Probably be more economic to stretch the airport extension on to Liverpool.

You wouldn't see much change out of £300 million for that. A monorail would definitely be a much cheaper option.

Probably be more economic to stretch the airport extension on to Liverpool.

I would have thought a monorail would on a similar level funding wise, plus you would have to fight endlessly with everyone not wanting the "eye sore" that a monorail line would be to the majority of people. But seen as it would be a long term project, 10 years? the cost becomes negligible.

An proper modern electric tram system would be the better option, they could even lay the tracks along the original train route.

Although I think Slim is going a little to far on the incentives I cant see it taking much to be honest, at the minute it costs me and my missus £3 a day each from Peel to Douglas, it takes 30 minutes and I have to put up with other people. If I drove it would cost me £3 a day to park so I would be saving £3 a day and not have to deal with the white headphone brigade.

Therefore adequate incentive would be £1.50 returns and a journey time of less than 30 minutes, easily attainable.

Archived