Goodbye Horse Trams?

johnquayleiom

After doing some shopping today I was waiting to pull out on to the prom in my car and witnessed a horse tram driver whipping the horse on its backside to get it going after it had stopped to pick up passengers. Is there any need for that? I think the Corpy needs their tram staff to have some training in dealing with these animals. And for the next two weeks (TT) they should be removed from the Prom. I hope Mr Christian of the Corpy reads this and takes note. But I daresay he will do nothing about it. Unless he gets good publicity on Manx Radio he takes no interest.

I m guessing "whipping" was actually the use of reins of reins to get the horse going. Just like jockeys do, excpet for jockeys have a hard stick which must hurt like hell. As opposed to the soft leather reins used by horse tram drivers - I was lucky enough to ride on the front of a tram this weekend and had a good chat with the driver.

If you have any issues with the way they are driven I realy would reccommend riding the tram and speaking to the driver. I was amazed when he started telling me about each horse and how each has its own personality, some are lazy, some are cheeky etc. when I used to drive them in years gone by, there were so many horses you didnt get to know them at all!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
. Years ago it was only £1.50 for a ticket that lasted all day, hop on and off when you liked. A couple of years ago I think I paid £2.00 for a one way trip!

We used to get the horse tram to the Terminal, jump on the train and go off up to White City, the horse tram was part of the fun way back in the 70's!

We would definitely use them IF they were reasonably priced, AND valid for the whole day. I'm not paying £15 for an all day ticket. If they were cheaper we would definitely use them regularly, as it is, the last time we used them was 2002! We don't want to have to pay £60 for an season ticket, we want to pay a reasonable fare when we wish to use the horse trams. C'mon Douglas Corpie, make it family friendly fun in a recession!

http://www.iomguide.com/horsetram.php

Meme

Archived