Mount Murray Roadworks

Dr Gonzo

With apologies in advance for the rant but...

Why are the DoT digging up the same stretch of road on the Castletown Road outside the Mount Murray again? Last night just after 6pm headed south I started queueing for the contraflow lights at the bottom of Richmond Hill, three-quarters of a mile away. And the queue headed into Douglas? Three cars.

Now I'm not a qualified traffic engineer, but I'd guess that between 5pm and 6pm there are more people headed out of Douglas than in. But my fullest congratulations to the halfwits that set the priorities on the lights.

And if David Anderson's reading this, please can you consider it an open invitation to dig up all the other places on the Castletown Road you've closed over the last 18 months or so? Janet's Corner could do with coming up again, as could the road between the Fairy Bridge and Blackboards corner. Or perhaps Anagh Coar could use more attention from diggers. And looking at the road surface, I don't think Kewaigue was ever quite finished - even though it did eventually reopen.

It's so dull driving to work and not having to plan for the sudden appearance of roadworks.

Phew. Rant over.

as could the road between the Fairy Bridge and Blackboards corner. .

Phew. Rant over.

Where the non-skid surface has been removed and replaced with a new 50 mph limit, you mean?

Get your facts right, it is NOT the DoT who are digging it up, it is another contractor

He's a journalist, why should he get his facts right?

Good point, why change the habits of a life time

as could the road between the Fairy Bridge and Blackboards corner. .

Phew. Rant over.

Where the non-skid surface has been removed and replaced with a new 50 mph limit, you mean?

If I remember the signs that were up on Saturday, as you come off the Blackboards heading north, you get a 50mph sign, but heading south you get a de-restriction sign at Fairy Bridge...

It's IDG digging it up and I'm guessing it relates to the work they recently did in the same area.

But yes, it took me 10 minutes to get through there from the top of Richmond hill on Monday evening and there was not a lot coming the other way. It must have been a learner operating the lights as it has been quite ok since then.

What seemed daft also is despite the roadworks there were still 2 lanes of road due to the chevron area which could have easily been a temporary southbound lane for the duration of the work.

I don't understand why they removed the grippy stuff at sunny orchard either. They think that a sign telling people how fast they can go is safer than something that actively helps with grip?

I'm not sure how anyone crashes there without going like a fool, but still, it seems backwards to remove that stuff in terms of safety.

Also, why have they resurfaced that bit - which seemed ok anyway - instead of resurfacing the dreadful section between Santon Motel and the north side of Fairy Bridge? Do they have a machine that makes good decisions, then do the exact opposite?

This makes me wonder what I am paying my road taxes for

You don't pay road tax - you pay vehicle excise duty. The money for your 'road tax' disc just goes into the same pot as other forms of taxation and is not used solely for the upkeep of the road network.

Archived