[BBC News] Police volunteer numbers double

Newsbot

But Supt Paul Cubbon said more recruitment was expected.

He said community volunteers, who help out with administration, would be "a major part of the wider police family in the future".

He added: "One of the main burdens on police officers today is administration but their most important task is operational duties so the community volunteers taking on any of that task are much appreciated.

"PCVs assist in many ways including answering the phone, attending public counters as well as enabling out of town police stations to remain open longer."

Perhaps the criminal element will follow this initiative.

'Criminal Volunteers' could assist in routine task so the lawbreakers could devote more time to nefarious activities.

Washing and ironing masks and stripey jumpers springs to mind.

People VOLUNTEERING (i.e. doing work for free) to work for police? That is just even worse than being an paid officer.

More officious busy bodies - there's only 3 of us left now on the island that don't have yellow fluorescent jackets.

OMG,I saw two coppers earlier today and i swear one of em was about 12 years old,i know they say "you know you're getting older when the coppers are getting younger" but this was ridiculous.

OMG,I saw two coppers earlier today and i swear one of em was about 12 years old,i know they say "you know you're getting older when the coppers are getting younger" but this was ridiculous.

There are loads of little girls in police uniforms in ramsey now and some of them are driving cars and vans, they must be bullies as the inspector is only alowed to ride a bicycle :P:P

There are loads of little girls in police uniforms in ramsey now and some of them are driving cars and vans, they must be bullies as the inspector is only alowed to ride a bicycle :P:P

"Princess Pepperspray" is my favourite.

People VOLUNTEERING (i.e. doing work for free) to work for police? That is just even worse than being an paid officer.

:whatever:

Well it just appears to me to be an ugly trend if more people wish to support the police and/or take on some of their duties.

:whatever:

Well it just appears to me to be an ugly trend if more people wish to support the police and/or take on some of their duties.

You really are very silly. It's an "ugly trend" that has been going on for decades, or even centuries. Yes let's have debate about the role of the police, their powers etc. but let's not pretend we could do without them.

You really are very silly. It's an "ugly trend" that has been going on for decades, or even centuries. Yes let's have debate about the role of the police, their powers etc. but let's not pretend we could do without them.

In terms of a trend I was referring to the increased numbers of people who volunteer.

You can do without them, but that depends on how you want society structured.

I don't believe you could do without them. Not at the very least until you have already changed society totally to make no-one want to commit crimes.

How can you brainwash the entire human species to never carry out heinous acts against other people? You can't.

Some maybe, but never all, hence you'll always need police.

To put things in balance, I know of at least one volunteer that shouldn't have.

I'm not suggesting they are all nice people - but the world would be a lot worse off with no coppers, and the average honest, hard working person would have to go to some lengths to protect themselves, their familes and belongings from people with no conscience.

Archived