Isle Of Man Beaches - Fail

andrew

The article does state though:

The MCS said rain had swept pollutants like raw sewage into rivers and sea.

The latest bathing water tests were carried out between May and September 2008, coinciding with the seventh wettest British summer on record.

So the tests are a year old and were taken during a wet summer when heavy rain does make the sea quality worse due to rubbish being swept into the sea..........

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8061242.stm

Only 6% of the Islands beaches have the The Marine Conservation Society good beach grade... worst results in the British Isles.

Yeah its all the fault of those damned sheep and cattle crapping on the land and then heavy rain washes it into the sea, nothing to do with that IRIS thing

<_<

The article does state though:
The MCS said rain had swept pollutants like raw sewage into rivers and sea.

The latest bathing water tests were carried out between May and September 2008, coinciding with the seventh wettest British summer on record.

So the tests are a year old and were taken during a wet summer when heavy rain does make the sea quality worse due to rubbish being swept into the sea..........

Agreed, but still, appauling results. I don't think we'd fare much better in ideal conditions.

I assume the IOM Govt do regular water tests. Do they publish the results on a frequent basis???

Yes - most IOM beaches have a board up with month on month results.

Green = pass

Yellow = below recommended

Red = Fail

Is there much variation between the beaches of the Island as to how polluted and dirty they are? Douglas and Peel, I assume, must rank pretty badly.

Is there much variation between the beaches of the Island as to how polluted and dirty they are? Douglas and Peel, I assume, must rank pretty badly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/isleofman/content/art...h_feature.shtml

I'm not sure what the exact results are this year but 2007 there was only Derbyhaven, Port St. Mary and Port Sodderick that scored above a 'basic pass' and were recommended for bathing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/isleofman/content/art...h_feature.shtml

I'm not sure what the exact results are this year but 2007 there was only Derbyhaven, Port St. Mary and Port Sodderick that scored above a 'basic pass' and were recommended for bathing.

Just taken a look at the 2009 results:

Derbyhaven is the only recommended beach.

Douglas -Broadway, Garwick, Gansey Bay all failed

It's such a shame. That 6% figure is a huge embarrassment, who in their right mind viewing that chart would even consider coming to the Island on holiday? All of that money spent on those visitisleofman adverts showing 'The Andersons' frolicking about in the water.

It needs sorting out it's a disgrace. If the Mersey, which was the most polluted river in Europe at one stage, can be cleaned up to the extent that it's now home to Cod and beaches near it at New Brighton and Hoylake are MCS recommened, then whats our excuse?

It's such a shame. That 6% figure is a huge embarrassment, who in their right mind viewing that chart would even consider coming to the Island on holiday? All of that money spent on those visitisleofman adverts showing 'The Andersons' frolicking about in the water.

It needs sorting out it's a disgrace. If the Mersey, which was the most polluted river in Europe at one stage, can be cleaned up to the extent that it's now home to Cod and beaches near it at New Brighton and Hoylake are MCS recommened, then whats our excuse?

Cleaning a river is relatively easy (I'd imagine) to cleaning the seas. And it is the seas which is where the problem lies not in the beaches. I'd suppose the Island's location has something to do with it as well.

Cleaning a river is relatively easy (I'd imagine) to cleaning the seas. And it is the seas which is where the problem lies not in the beaches. I'd suppose the Island's location has something to do with it as well.

They've cleaned up the Mersey Estuary and miles of coastline too, it can be done. The main issue is discharge of raw sewage directly into the sea at some points on the Island. Doing that in 2009 is indefensible. :(

Archived