Isle Of Man Beaches - Fail

andrew

Cleaning a river is relatively easy (I'd imagine) to cleaning the seas. And it is the seas which is where the problem lies not in the beaches. I'd suppose the Island's location has something to do with it as well.

They've cleaned up the Mersey Estuary and miles of coastline too, it can be done. The main issue is discharge of raw sewage directly into the sea at some points on the Island. Doing that in 2009 is indefensible. :(

But is it Manx sewerage the reason or main reason why the beaches are so dirty?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ship in a load of new sand and dump it on the beaches. Can be done directly from the ship. Loads of touristy beaches do it.

The article does state though:
The MCS said rain had swept pollutants like raw sewage into rivers and sea.

The latest bathing water tests were carried out between May and September 2008, coinciding with the seventh wettest British summer on record.

So the tests are a year old and were taken during a wet summer when heavy rain does make the sea quality worse due to rubbish being swept into the sea..........

Agreed, but still, appauling results. I don't think we'd fare much better in ideal conditions.

Worst teeth in Europe-high level of teenage pregnancy-worst beaches-low recycling rates-poor dental services etc etc

The iOM government should concentrate on the reality of what we have got here rather than trying to spin and promote meaningless slogans like Freedom to Flourish.

It is comforting to notice that this island has been gaining such publicity for itself of late- but unfortunately the wrong sort. Just to name a few of the topics which have hit the headlines of late - Dirtiest beaches in Britain, teenage binge drinking, racist facebook groups and so on

My word- they really know how to put the IOM on the map.

I'm glad that I am off to Barcelona this evening to escape all this depressing news. Bye for now all my forum friends and I will catch up with you all on Tuesday for some more of the good old Manx gossip.

Have a pleasent bank holiday weekend

I don't know too much about the purpose of the IRIS scheme, but I thought it was carried out with the intention of better dealing with sewage. Since the improvements, should we not have seen cleaner beaches around the Isle of Man?

Maybe I am being really naive. But is poo and all the other stuff that goes into sewers processed at all or is it pumped directly into the sea?

I don't know too much about the purpose of the IRIS scheme, but I thought it was carried out with the intention of better dealing with sewage. Since the improvements, should we not have seen cleaner beaches around the Isle of Man?

Maybe I am being really naive. But is poo and all the other stuff that goes into sewers processed at all or is it pumped directly into the sea?

I believe it was, but as the IRIS scheme was started at the begining of the 90's (i think) which was 18 -19 years ago. Perhaps the initial techology is now out of date.

Is the bacteria or what ever they find in the sea samples any worse than could be found on any home work surface or dish cloth? I spend a lot of time in the sea in the summer time and often get a face full of water and i have never got any bugs.

im sure there must have been a lot more shite 'dumped' in the sea via sewers during the Victorian holiday hay days of the past , did stop them from swimming in the sea.

Is the bacteria or what ever they find in the sea samples any worse than could be found on any home work surface or dish cloth? I spend a lot of time in the sea in the summer time and often get a face full of water and i have never got any bugs.

im sure there must have been a lot more shite 'dumped' in the sea via sewers during the Victorian holiday hay days of the past , did stop them from swimming in the sea.

True. I'm in the sea on average 3 times a week all year round and never picked up any infections and I don't know of any other water users who have either.

There is a sign on the entrance to port Lewaigue beach warning of raw sewage being discharged into the sea.

I think this is awful and i am really suprised this still goes on.

Infant mortality was very high in Victorian times, though I'm not sure that swimming off Manx beaches was the sole cause.

S

Archived