[BBC News] Ferry service still under review

Newsbot

I'm not sure what they expect? They currently have 100% of all sea passengers and freight to and from the Island, yet "Mr Woodward said that better schedules and sailing times had not produced the growth he wanted to see."

I'm not quite sure what Mr Woodward expects, the way they could improve their market share would be to take passengers away from the airlines, but when it is cheaper to fly to Liverpool that is never going to happen. Even if they do lower fairs to a reasonable level they will still lose passengers to the airlines as flying to Liverpool takes 30 minutes compared to 2 hours.

I would personally fly when ever there is the option, even if the Steam Packet were a decent company who didn't rip you off at every opportunity.

now they have extra capacity it would not be too difficult to provide a through-route Lpl-IoM-Belfast if the turn-round timings were kept short, it would provide a much quicker route rather than driving to Cairnryan or Holyhead for the alternative crossings, and tap into a new market. I think this has been suggested a long time ago but probably wasn't practical on slow-boats

It appears that it has been ill thought. I think it would be beneficial to both the company themself and passengers if more routes were introduced. More regular sailings to Fleetwood would be a welcome return

you only need a lily leaf for a boat, don't you ? :P

Just not at these fares!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8074077.stm

now they have extra capacity it would not be too difficult to provide a through-route Lpl-IoM-Belfast if the turn-round timings were kept short, it would provide a much quicker route rather than driving to Cairnryan or Holyhead for the alternative crossings, and tap into a new market. I think this has been suggested a long time ago but probably wasn't practical on slow-boats

Archived