Sky + Xbox

Slim

When they anounced this at E3 they said that if you have an existing subscription with sky, you enter details into xbox and its free.

Seem to remember they said it'll work like sky player, some stuff free, other stuff will require a multi room type sub. Knowing sky, it wont be fully free even if you've got a sub, or nobody would buy multiroom.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's got info all about it on the Sky player page, and it sounds exactly the same as the normal Sky player. Couple of free News programmes, or multi room subscription to unlock the other channels (think there's only 20 odd live ones anyway, plus OD stuff).

It's got info all about it on the Sky player page, and it sounds exactly the same as the normal Sky player. Couple of free News programmes, or multi room subscription to unlock the other channels (think there's only 20 odd live ones anyway, plus OD stuff).

Got a link to that Rich, can't see it?

Can't find the original ad anymore, it was a banner ad on the left hand side of the Sky Player page.

Found this page which links to the official XBOX site with rough info about it, which if you read into it talks about Sky Player much in the way it is mentioned for the PC/Mac, then if you read how it works for PC/Mac you see it requires a multiroom subscription to open up the 20 odd channels + OD, or you're just stuck with the news.

http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/content/SKYEN...lt/promoPage.do

I would suggest it will be nothing more than an integration into the PC/Mac service already available. Nice enough and the stream quality is excellent, but just a little disappointed it's not a direct mirror of what channels you have available to your subscription, which surely wouldn't have been to much for them to supply? Maybe in time, OD is a nice addition though, especially as we don't have the luxury of the Virgin service over here.

• 3 weeks later...
I would suggest it will be nothing more than an integration into the PC/Mac service already available. Nice enough and the stream quality is excellent, but just a little disappointed it's not a direct mirror of what channels you have available to your subscription, which surely wouldn't have been to much for them to supply? Maybe in time, OD is a nice addition though, especially as we don't have the luxury of the Virgin service over here.

Launching 27th October:

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/news-features/news/sky_player.htm

"or looking to extend your existing Sky subscription into another room" - looks like it will be a multiroom sub.

I think there will be some stuff viewable without a multi room subscription, just like the Sky Player now. But all the premium stuff like Sport / Films / Sky1 will require multiroom subs.

I think there will be some stuff viewable without a multi room subscription, just like the Sky Player now. But all the premium stuff like Sport / Films / Sky1 will require multiroom subs.

There's very little free, sky news is about it? I'd rather iplayer than skyplayer to be honest.

It's great for people who don't or can't have sky for whatever reason but yet again it's Sky's current subscribers who are getting screwed, if you don't already have multiroom then you may aswell pay the £10 for another sky box with a full compliment of live channels and no need for a gold xbox live sub.

The one advantage of watching the sky online is like sky+ you can save your download and watch within so many days (otherwise it wont play) without the sky+ subscription, in addition several of you can club in for the movie channels etc and share the login/password so long as you agree to dl on different days, again putting one over on sky. Oh as an extra you can watch sky on the Wii if you have softmoded and use one of the homebrew channel net browsers (same mod allows you to use the Wii as a dvd player and play games backed up to a usb hd.

The one advantage of watching the sky online is like sky+ you can save your download and watch within so many days (otherwise it wont play) without the sky+ subscription

There isn't a subscription for sky+ any more.

, in addition several of you can club in for the movie channels etc and share the login/password so long as you agree to dl on different days, again putting one over on sky.

No, you can't, it places a certificate on your PC, and will only play the content back on that machine.

Oh as an extra you can watch sky on the Wii if you have softmoded and use one of the homebrew channel net browsers (same mod allows you to use the Wii as a dvd player and play games backed up to a usb hd.

Are you sure? The sky player is Silverlight iirc, which isn't supported even on a homebrew wii browser that I know of?

Get a PS3? :P

Wouldn't mind one for uncharted 2 and pixeljunk shooter! The 360 does iplayer now via tversity, but I've found it to be a little unreliable. Sometimes it'll transcode and sometimes it just stops.

Hopefully the beeb will sort the wii iplayer out soon and I can get back on that.

Hopefully the beeb will sort the wii iplayer out soon and I can get back on that.

It would be nice if all the consoles got the OD stuff all from one menu, not just iplayer . [iplayer, 4OD, ITVPlayer and Demand Five]

It will come I'm sure. I'm a big fan of OD as I can watch the few programmes I like, in my own time. I like it that the PS3 iplayer is sat there at the top level of the menu system, nice, quick and simple.

It would be nice if all the consoles got the OD stuff all from one menu, not just iplayer . [iplayer, 4OD, ITVPlayer and Demand Five]

It will come I'm sure. I'm a big fan of OD as I can watch the few programmes I like, in my own time. I like it that the PS3 iplayer is sat there at the top level of the menu system, nice, quick and simple.

It's something that the BBC should be working it's arse off to provide iplayer on different devices to help justify the license fee. The iplayer is great, but it's locked away inside browsers, they need to sort that out sharpish.

Full official pricing announced. Basically its stupidly over priced and generally your better off just getting sky.

The Subscription Plan and Channel Listing Breakdown

Non– Sky TV customers will require a monthly subscription which starts at £15 per month to Sky Player’s Base Entertainment Pack, customers who want watch Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, ESPN and Sky Movie channels will be able to add these channels to their Base Entertainment Pack for an additional cost. In addition to the live channels, customers will also have access to on-demand programmes from channels they subscribe to.

Customers with Sky Multiroom or Sky Broadband Unlimited subscriptions are additionally able to access live channels for no extra charge. Customers who do not have subscriptions to Sky Broadband Unlimited or Sky Multiroom are still able to access the live channels by taking an online Sky Player multiroom subscription for £5 per month.

ENTERTAINMENT PACK CHANNELS:

G.O.L.D., Sky Real Lives, Sky Arts 1, MTV ONE, Sky Sports News, British Eurosport, ESPN Classic, Sky News, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, History, Eden, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, Nick Jr

SPORT PACK CHANNELS:

Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports 3, Sky Sports XTRA + All sports video on demand programmes

MOVIES PACK CHANNELS:

Sky Movies Screen 1 and Screen 2 + Hundreds of movies from these channels to watch on demand.

ESPN can be added to any pack for additional cost.

Internet only subscription:

Entertainment Pack

G.O.L.D., Sky Real Lives, Sky Arts 1, MTV ONE, Sky Sports News, British Eurosport, ESPN Classic, Sky News, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, History, Eden, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, Nick Jr - £15 (cost per month) - £27 (cost with ESPN).

Sport

Entertainment Pack + Single Sports Channel - Entertainment pack + Sky Sports Xtra and the choice of either Sky Sports 1 or Sky Sports 2 - £25(cost per month) - £34 (cost with ESPN).

Entertainment Pack + Dual Sports Channels - Entertainment pack + Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports 3, Sky Sports Xtra - £34 (cost per month) - £43 (cost with ESPN).

Movies

Entertainment Pack + Single Movies Channel - Entertainment pack + Sky Movies Screen 1 or Sky Movies Screen 2 - £24(cost per month) - £36 (cost with ESPN).

Entertainment Pack + Dual Movies Channels - Entertainment pack + Sky Movies Screen 1 and Sky Movies Screen 2 - £32(cost per month) - £44 (cost with ESPN).

Sport & Movies

Entertainment Pack + Single Movies Channel + Single Sports channel - Entertainment pack + Sky Movies Screen 1 or Sky Movies Screen 2 and the choice of either Sky Sports 1 or Sky Sports 2, with Sky Sports Xtra - £33 (cost per month) - £42 (cost with ESPN).

Entertainment Pack + Dual Sports Channels + Single Movies Channel - Entertainment pack + Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports 3, Sky Sports Xtra and Sky Movies Screen 1 or Sky Movies Screen 2 - £38 (cost per month) - £47 (cost with ESPN).

Entertainment Pack + Dual Movies Channels + Single Sports Channel - Entertainment pack + Sky Movies Screen 1 and Sky Movies Screen 2 and Sky Movies Screen 1 or Sky Movies Screen 2 - £38 (cost per month) - £47 (cost with ESPN).

Full channel pack – including all sports and movie channels

Entertainment pack + Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports 3, Sky Sports Xtra and Sky Movies Screen 1 & Sky Movies Screen 2 - £41 (cost per month) - £50 (cost with ESPN).

Retail Bundle:

A special Sky Player Retail bundle pack will be available in stores from October 27th available to existing and new Xbox 360 consumers:

Pack contents:

• 1 Month Sky Player Subscription (Sky Sports Pack)

• Media Remote

• 3 Month Gold Membership Subscription Card

Pricing:

• Pack ERP: £29.99

Archived