Sky + Xbox

Slim

For an existing Sky Subscriber it is £5.00 a month to get the live stuff on your xbox. Thats not as bad as I thought, I thought I would have to get multiroom at 9.50 a month.

Hmmm tempting.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Full official pricing announced. Basically its stupidly over priced and generally your better off just getting sky.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, for an existing sky customer it's an additional £5 a month? That's cheaper than multiroom, so not a bad deal.

But for your £5 a month you only get 24 channels compared to however many hundred you get for £9.50 on multi-room.

The on demand stuff seems like a nice idea but the live TV doesn't seem worth it to me.

Oh is that right? Pretty lame then. Only advantage is you don't need to wire this into a dish. Oh and you don't have to worry about storage either, as its on demand.

Bit you wouldnt get all the tv channels on your xbox anyway as it's running off the sky player.

I will try it free for a month with the offer and then make a decision if I want to pay for it.

I looking forward to trying this in media centre in windows 7 and xbox, but the list of channels doesn't look very good. I might just stick to Tunerfree MCE plugin. I can get my sky channels on the xbox through the media centre, but it changes channel on the sky box, so not good if someone wants to watch something else down stairs.

I looking forward to trying this in media centre in windows 7 and xbox, but the list of channels doesn't look very good. I might just stick to Tunerfree MCE plugin. I can get my sky channels on the xbox through the media centre, but it changes channel on the sky box, so not good if someone wants to watch something else down stairs.

Tunerfree doesn't do extenders, does it?

I had it working when I tried it this time after upgrading to windows 7, it doesn't let you stream, you have to choose download and wait a little bit before you can watch your program.

How do you choose download on the 360?

In Tunerfree MCE it takes you in to the channel logos, then in to the programs, then episodes (much nicer than the list thing it used to have) then when I selected my episode, it briefly showed the iplayer website page, and it shows some buttons top right one of them was down load. Infact on the Xbox it came up with a message saying you can't stream on the extender and it gave you the option to download. It had to download the whole thing before it would play it, but it worked fine. I've only tried it once and on one channel.

In Tunerfree MCE it takes you in to the channel logos, then in to the programs, then episodes (much nicer than the list thing it used to have) then when I selected my episode, it briefly showed the iplayer website page, and it shows some buttons top right one of them was down load. Infact on the Xbox it came up with a message saying you can't stream on the extender and it gave you the option to download. It had to download the whole thing before it would play it, but it worked fine. I've only tried it once and on one channel.

Yes, I get to the same point, but I don't understand how you select the download button from the xbox. There doesn't seem to be any navigation options inside the mce once it's trying to play the stream.

The Twonky rss transcode streaming via upnp works better for me I think.

I'm pretty sure it either just happened or I used the arrow button on the remote to choose it. I only did it once to see if the plugin worked. I'll try it again.

I managed to get Sky Player working last night, signed up for the free trial of multiroom skyplayer, I can't say I would really use it as I don't really watch any of the channels they are offering on there. One one or two programs I tried asked me to pay to rent the programme, others said I need to upgrade my subscription to watch. I don't think I'll bother with it. I would only want to be able to watch TV in bed if something is on that we wouldn't mind watching the end of, but I can do that through media centre anyway.

Archived