[BBC News] Revamped future in sight for pier

Newsbot

£4.5m so that you can walk out for a bit over the sea. Hardly value for money that. And 80% of Manx people backed the reopening of the pier? I doubt that somehow. Not a single person I know wants money wasted on it.

I kinda like it, but I'm not sure why, probably something to do with it being really cool engineering and having a train track on it :) I did not realise it had been closed for so long, I'm sure I remember going out on it in my youth....ahhh yes, my youth, that was about a lifetime ago :D

£4.5m so that you can walk out for a bit over the sea. Hardly value for money that. And 80% of Manx people backed the reopening of the pier? I doubt that somehow. Not a single person I know wants money wasted on it.

i think the only people they asked lived in ramesy!

"On the back of that, I'm sure a prospective investor would see it as a fantastic opportunity with a new pier as the centre point of any future marina."

Seems a pretty odd place for the centre of a marina.

"

Seems a pretty odd place for the centre of a marina.

You still havn't got it have you?

At some point in the not too distant future every port in the isle of man will have a Marina .

It's all part of the D.O.T. "Masterplan" to keep their workforce busy (I use the term workforce very loosley) I have it on reliable information that due to the congested nature of the Douglas Marina , plans have been submited for a roundabout smack in the middle of the harbour opposite "Newsons Trading".

Also I have it on reliable information that at the same meeting ,plans were submited for a new Marina at "Injebreck Resevoir ".

I do not know anybody who received the questionnaire but if just asked if I was in favour of the reopening the pier I would have said yes. If asked if I was in favour of spending £4.5m to reopen the pier I probably would have said no. If I was a Ramsey resident and they said would I be in favour of some of the costs being added to the rates or would I want the pier reopened in preferece to the marina I would definately say no.

Ultimately if you ask the question in a survey in the right way you can swing the results as you want.

In respect of the the pier if you had a series of general lead up questions saying are you in favour of supporting Manx heritage, improving Ramsey, providing more things for tourists or locals to do and then asked the question about reopening the pier you would sway the answer to being yes.

If the lead up questions were about use of public money in difficult times, are you concerned about budget cuts to health care and education and then asked if £4.5m should be spent on the pier you are swaying the answer to being no.

No one asked me :(

Me neither. I'd would quite like to see the pier open again though (and I don't live in Ramsey).

Archived