[BBC News] Revamped future in sight for pier

Newsbot

I do not know anybody who received the questionnaire but if just asked if I was in favour of the reopening the pier I would have said yes. If asked if I was in favour of spending £4.5m to reopen the pier I probably would have said no. If I was a Ramsey resident and they said would I be in favour of some of the costs being added to the rates or would I want the pier reopened in preferece to the marina I would definately say no.

Ultimately if you ask the question in a survey in the right way you can swing the results as you want.

In respect of the the pier if you had a series of general lead up questions saying are you in favour of supporting Manx heritage, improving Ramsey, providing more things for tourists or locals to do and then asked the question about reopening the pier you would sway the answer to being yes.

If the lead up questions were about use of public money in difficult times, are you concerned about budget cuts to health care and education and then asked if £4.5m should be spent on the pier you are swaying the answer to being no.

No one asked me :(

Me neither. I'd would quite like to see thect then ie pier open again though (and I don't live in Ramsey).

Can someone remind me-as I recall it was a question of x ££ to refurbish it and a very similar figure would be required to remove it, in other words if not keeping the pier then face up to the reality it has to go, and there will be a cost to dismantling etc, if the figure to refurbish the same as demolition then I think a no brainer, however if you were asking for 4.5 million for a new project then it would get no votes, if we can keep this magnificent landmark then we should

1. Nobody asked me. I do not believe that there is cross-island support for such a project, especially if the costs are mentioned.

2. The costs of removal are a one-off. The costs of renovation are just the start of a whole new set of ongoing expenses.

3. If it's going to be saved, the people of Ramsey should pay for it

1. Nobody asked me. I do not believe that there is cross-island support for such a project, especially if the costs are mentioned.

2. The costs of removal are a one-off. The costs of renovation are just the start of a whole new set of ongoing expenses.

Here we go again! It's fine to dump all the crap up North (prison, tips, etc.) and to lumber Northerners with the costs of anything put up in Douglas, but actually spend any money there!

As for "ongoing expenses", well, when Summerland was built us Northerners had to pay our whack and we've had to pay up for the ongoing costs of that White Elephant! Have we moaned - NO. About time the North got something for all the mistreatment and sidelining it's had over the years. We're sick and tired of all the bleating that comes out of Douglas.

when Summerland was built us Northerners had to pay our whack and we've had to pay up for the ongoing costs of that White Elephant! Have we moaned - NO. About time the North got something for all the mistreatment and sidelining it's had over the years. We're sick and tired of all the bleating that comes out of Douglas.

Maybe the north should push for full independence from the south.

--

It would be great to see the pier fixed. And it is worth doing.

Here we go again! It's fine to dump all the crap up North (prison, tips, etc.) and to lumber Northerners with the costs of anything put up in Douglas, but actually spend any money there!

As for "ongoing expenses", well, when Summerland was built us Northerners had to pay our whack and we've had to pay up for the ongoing costs of that White Elephant! Have we moaned - NO. About time the North got something for all the mistreatment and sidelining it's had over the years. We're sick and tired of all the bleating that comes out of Douglas.

Jurby wanted the prison. And the rates that the tip raises makes the eyes water. That's how Bride can afford all those planning appeals.

It's really easy: if you want it that badly, pay for it

Archived