[BBC News] Injured man charged with burglary

Newsbot

burglary is when you enter a premises with the intent to steal . . aggrivated burglary is when you enter a premises with the intent to steal and the premises are occupied .. breaking and entering is when you force your way in to steal .. no idea what they call breaking and entering an occupied premises.. .. they are the impressions i have always held .. is that about right john.

excepting when the premises are banks .. they have their own names like their own holidays bastards.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just checked, the definition is in the English Theft Act 1968. The Manx offence may be different, but my point was that a charge of burglary does not limit the offence to theft.

You're quite right, Gladys; my apologies.

However, I do believe there are three definitions of burglary:

1 The longstanding legal definition, which involves breaking in with felonious intent.

2 The modern legal definition, which is much more restrictive, and is more or less as you stated.

3 Common parlance, where it means breaking-in with intent to steal. "I've been burgled" means somebody has nicked some stuff from my house, not that I've been raped or otherwise assaulted.

S

Ans- I have absolutely no desire to buy a house and end up stuck somewhere. I think you have confused a few of my points, maybe I have explained them poorly. I do not have a particular issue with housing alone. It is simply one of those necessities, as with the others you rightly mentioned. You seem to believe this proposal is a singular, radical change and all other things are to remain the same. That really wouldn't make sense because if the system is still capitalist, someone needs to get paid.

Matt Bawden - What has North Korea got to do with anything? It is an appalling system, I am not a communist and it isn't a communist society.

Individual progress and ownership of things? Dear me, I actually do pity your kids if you bring them up with any hollow ideas that their progress in life is marked by what they own. What about their learning and personal development?

I know a guy who doesn't own his own home and he is and always has been extremely envious of those who do, he also thinks property ownership should be abolished.....and yet he blows his money on drink and drugs, going away to stag parties, holidays and smokes, could've easily bought his own place...does this sound familiar to you LDV?

Erm...no. What's his name?

Just checked, the definition is in the English Theft Act 1968. The Manx offence may be different, but my point was that a charge of burglary does not limit the offence to theft.

You're quite right, Gladys; my apologies.

However, I do believe there are three definitions of burglary:

1 The longstanding legal definition, which involves breaking in with felonious intent.

2 The modern legal definition, which is much more restrictive, and is more or less as you stated.

3 Common parlance, where it means breaking-in with intent to steal. "I've been burgled" means somebody has nicked some stuff from my house, not that I've been raped or otherwise assaulted.

S

It's no problem, but thank you for the apology.

As it is a charge, there is only one definition and that is the strict legal definition.

My point, if I really have to reiterate it, is that there could be more than just a theft motive behind this. I will say no more, because I do not know the facts, but the debate on the definition has made my point 'lose the moment' somewhat.

My point, if I really have to reiterate it, is that there could be more than just a theft motive behind this.

Point taken. As there is a charge, it's the legal definition that matters.

S

burglary is when you enter a premises with the intent to steal . . aggrivated burglary is when you enter a premises with the intent to steal and the premises are occupied .. breaking and entering is when you force your way in to steal .. no idea what they call breaking and entering an occupied premises.. .. they are the impressions i have always held .. is that about right john.

If memory serves me well Burglary falls under the Theft act and in particular sections 9(1)a and 9(1)b which in summary are

9 1 (a) Any person who enters a building or part of a building as a trespasser with intent to

steal anything therein, inflict grievous bodily harm on any person therein or do unlawful damage therein or commit rape therein.

9 1 (b) Any person who having entered a building or part of a building as a trespasser

steals anything therein or inflict or attempts to inflict grievous bodily harm to any person therein.

Section 10 of the Theft act is Aggravated burglary. That is where a person commits any burglary and at the time has with them a weapon of offence.

Whether persons are home or not or whether its a home or office premises makes no difference to charges but will to the sentences

Archived