New Dtl Initiative To Bring Thousands Of Visitors - Extreme Sports? Motorsport? Eco Tourism?

slinkydevil

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
who thinks it could attract thousands of visitors.

What a brilliant idea... £10.00 for children, £20.00 for adults and make the whole thing last for 2.15 hrs. That way all can recieve a complimentary parking ticket to rejoyce about all the way home.

Excellent, I'll reserve seats now - nothing beats a choir festival :whatever: Even better, it should coincide with the TT so that all the bikers get the chance to see choirs in action too.

What the hell do these dorks get paid for???

It's a really nice idea this, I for one would love it. However, there's an awful lot of top class competition, and I suspect the cost of getting here will, as with all other nice ideas, be prohibitive.

What's up with the existing week long manx music festival (the guild)?

It's a really nice idea this, I for one would love it. However, there's an awful lot of top class competition, and I suspect the cost of getting here will, as with all other nice ideas, be prohibitive.

Sounds like something similar to what the DTL ceased supporting some 13 years ago due to the increased costs of getting to the island & the reduced numbers willing to travel - IOM Brass Band Festival

In this day & age I think anything like this would have a limited life without a large amount of investment that either keeps travel/accommodation costs to a minimum or provides the opportunity to win prize money that will contribute to covering the costs

I'm not sure what you mean. There's nothing wrong with the Guild, I attend as many days as I can manage, but it strikes me as a local affair which would have minimal appeal to tourists who would need to part with a fair bit of money to attend. Are you suggesting expanding it or something?

Choir festival - Pile of wank

Not a fan of well delivered four part harmony then?

Choir festival - Pile of wank

Tourism minister - pile of wank

Staff at the DTl - pile of wank

I love it! I couldn't agree more if I tried :D Choirs? FFS. All they need to do is lift the stupid smoking ban and decriminalise the cannabis, fill the proms/quay with coffee shops the Isle of Man would be a great little place. :)

I'm not sure what you mean. There's nothing wrong with the Guild, I attend as many days as I can manage, but it strikes me as a local affair which would have minimal appeal to tourists who would need to part with a fair bit of money to attend. Are you suggesting expanding it or something?

There are always loads of UK people in the guild - if you are such a huge patron, how come you never noticed?

Just that we have an annual festival already that choirs from anywhere can enter. If there was demand, wouldn't they come to the guild?

There are always loads of UK people in the guild - if you are such a huge patron, how come you never noticed?

Well, how can you tell where the audience members are from? On the days I went, I recognised a lot of the usual (local) faces who attend these sort of events, and there were a load of empty seats. It didn't appear to be a huge multi national event at all.

Just that we have an annual festival already that choirs from anywhere can enter. If there was demand, wouldn't they come to the guild?

Exactly. They don't come for exactly the same reasons as they won't come to a new event.

Na there isn't. The results are online, and I can't see a single non manx entry. The audience is almost exclusively competitors families too.

You get an idea of demand for a choir festival here:

http://www.manxmusicfestival.org/class_ins...2009/2009-05-02

4 entries in the open choir class, and that's the biggest.

Pretty poor that this MHK, who has a well known interest in singing, is basically pushing his own hobby over something that might actually be popular.

Well, how can you tell where the audience members are from? On the days I went, I recognised a lot of the usual (local) faces who attend these sort of events, and there were a load of empty seats. It didn't appear to be a huge multi national event at all.

Looking at the program there are many entrants from the UK, I presume they might have support. Maybe people got a bit bored of all the usual entrants, all the usual dramatic acts and the same old songs year after year - I know I did - Gale Force, farty pants cheat bum more like, how many times I've sat there watching her mouthing words and showing facial expressions to her singers/poem readers/blah blah blah. The Manx classes are predictable, oooh which Gawne will win this year? is about the height of it's excitement. There aren't any new faces because all the old faces have the guild cordoned off for them and the likes of them.

Archived