[BBC News] Visiting biker is killed in crash

Newsbot

If you round a bend in a 50mph zone you do not expect or anticipate that someone will be driving at 15mph in a 5 ton vehicle that takes up the whole lane that you are driving in.

I actually do anticipate things like that, and I'm sure most people do. If you can't see a clear road ahead, slow down. It's not rocket surgery.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you round a bend in a 50mph zone you do not expect or anticipate that someone will be driving at 15mph in a 5 ton vehicle that takes up the whole lane that you are driving in.

I actually do anticipate things like that, and I'm sure most people do. If you can't see a clear road ahead, slow down. It's not rocket surgery.

I'm betting many bikers in particular don't. Anyway its a total tragedy but I still maintain these sweepers are a complete hazard and should not be out at peak times.

Well you're obviously going too fast for the road then, you should ALWAYS drive at a speed safe enough to avoid any unforseen circumstance around the next corner

And when does that happen TT week? If you round a bend in a 50mph zone you do not expect or anticipate that someone will be driving at 15mph in a 5 ton vehicle that takes up the whole lane that you are driving in. Having these big slow moving things out this week is dangerous. Fact. Sorry but it is.

Bollocks, you should always expect or anticipate the unexpected which may be round the next corner. this week or any other week. Usually it's a gaggle of cyclists (sorry Slim).Perhaps time for you to dust off your copy of the Highway Code?

Well you're obviously going too fast for the road then, you should ALWAYS drive at a speed safe enough to avoid any unforseen circumstance around the next corner

And when does that happen TT week? If you round a bend in a 50mph zone you do not expect or anticipate that someone will be driving at 15mph in a 5 ton vehicle that takes up the whole lane that you are driving in. Having these big slow moving things out this week is dangerous. Fact. Sorry but it is.

Bollocks, you should always expect or anticipate the unexpected which may be round the next corner. this week or any other week. Usually it's a gaggle of cyclists (sorry Slim).Perhaps time for you to dust off your copy of the Highway Code?

I don't need a lecture. Most people don't drive like they've just passed their test. Its human nature especially this time of year. Sending a fleet of numpties on overtime out in road sweepers in this traffic is asking for trouble in my book. I don't really care what anyone else thinks. But i've seen a few near misses with the sweepers this week ... bad driving yes, but we expect a lot of bad driving and fast driving this time of year so they should take them off the road.

I don't need a lecture. Most people don't drive like they've just passed their test. Its human nature especially this time of year. Sending a fleet of numpties on overtime out in road sweepers in this traffic is asking for trouble in my book. I don't really care what anyone else thinks. But i've seen a few near misses with the sweepers this week ... bad driving yes, but we expect a lot of bad driving and fast driving this time of year so they should take them off the road.

Strikes me you do need a lecture. It's the bad drivers that should be taken off the road. So it's alright to endanger the lives of these public servants at any other time of the year? We might expect more drink driving at Christmas, so that's alright it should be tolerated?

How many times has a DOT vehicle been involved with fatalities at the TT over the years.

You seem to be making a statement about DOT vehicles rather than asking a question.

Its a fair point though. Those gulley sweeper are a bloody hazard .. in the run up to TT they had loads of them out travelling at 15 mph and blocking the roads. i nearly hit one myself. You go round a bend at 50mph and all of a sudden there's some great lump of a truck doing 15 mph and with cars coming in the other direction you can't even swerve to avoid them.

I hope they have a thorough investigation on this as I'm amazed that nobody else has hit one yet.

for some reason i think i heard the bike hit the DOT vehicle head on??? but i might be getting confused with the colby crash???? rumour has it a scooby was on its roof at barregarrow this affy which closed the road for an hour plus too?? this year is turning into silly season , possibly due to the hot weather??

Strikes me you do need a lecture. It's the bad drivers that should be taken off the road. So it's alright to endanger the lives of these public servants at any other time of the year? We might expect more drink driving at Christmas, so that's alright it should be tolerated?

If we took bad drivers and fast drivers off the road at this time of year the TT festival is rather fucked is it not? Why do you think people come here. To drive a 15mph around the place and stop for picnics?

One problem is the bad driving, another is the people who accept it.

But we actively advertise to get it .. we spend millions attarcting those people here every year. As someone very astutely said earlier in this thread ... the deaths we'll get this week are just those that would have happened at other accident hotspots all over the UK this summer. But we actively advertise to get all those people riding like that at weekends here, at the same time, on the same roads. And then we send out the road sweepers en masse.

So what about tractors you toby? they're out this time of year too and other big vehicles.....should the island come to a standstill because of twattish motorbike riders, and before you kick off I am also a biker, my thoughts are with the family of the deceased for their loss and also with the sweeper driver as he has witnessed and is part of a fatal accident. If it transpires that the sweeper driver was at fault I would hope that lessons would be learnt, unfortunately at a very high cost.

Drivers and riders need to learn to drive/ride with foresight.....always expect the unexpected

So what about tractors you toby? they're out this time of year too and other big vehicles.....should the island come to a standstill because of twattish motorbike riders,

No. But for some reason this year someone has had a gully sweeper obsession and sent them all out at all times of the day and they are a hazard. I'm sorry but that is what I believe and they should not, in my opinion, have that many out on the roads at all times as they are an obstruction.

be honest 50mph is not really that fast to be going rd a corner, well depending what corner but if there is no limit then its not that fast, but u get the idea,

oldmanxfella

But the fact remains that theses sweepers etc have to do this work on the roads,

same as all slow moveing cars,vans,tractors wagons

maybe u should slow down or maybe u should just take the fact that unexpected things could be rd the corner pulling out or driveing slow,

It happined to me yesterday went rd a corner and there it was sweeping the road, only just got stopped and i was shifting

but that is life get over it,

So what about tractors you toby? they're out this time of year too and other big vehicles.....should the island come to a standstill because of twattish motorbike riders,

No. But for some reason this year someone has had a gully sweeper obsession and sent them all out at all times of the day and they are a hazard. I'm sorry but that is what I believe and they should not, in my opinion, have that many out on the roads at all times.

Fair point about the frequency and timing of sending out road sweepers this moronic decision has contributed to this fatality, unfortunately those at the top making the decisions are usually exempt from prosecution somehow.

Well, I’d like to offer my condolence to the family of Frederick Matterface, the man killed in the accident, just in case some of you had forgotten the reason for this post.

Just a shame you couldn’t do your bickering in another post instead of showing total disrespect for the poor chap by going on like children in this one!!

This is a publicly available forum, and could possibly be read by relatives!!!!

Archived