Manx Tiger Keeps Its Teeth In Recession

pongo

While recession sweeps through Europe, one corner of the continent remains relatively untouched. On the Isle of Man the economy is growing, house prices rising and unemployment has just begun falling. Businesses are optimistic amid one of the worst global downturns for 60 years, as a recent poll of companies in key growth sectors identified by the government revealed that half expect to increase profits this year and a third hope to take on more staff ....

Full Item - Financial Times 29/05/2009

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While recession sweeps through Europe, one corner of the continent remains relatively untouched. On the Isle of Man the economy is growing, house prices rising and unemployment has just begun falling. Businesses are optimistic amid one of the worst global downturns for 60 years, as a recent poll of companies in key growth sectors identified by the government revealed that half expect to increase profits this year and a third hope to take on more staff ....

Fuck me. If I read any more of this self deluded drivel I think I might actually puke.

Fuck me. If I read any more of this self deluded drivel I think I might actually puke.

any chance of being any more specific. Which bits of the throughly objective article do you disagree with?

any chance of being any more specific. Which bits of the throughly objective article do you disagree with?

They forgot to mention failing banks.

No they didn't

Confidence has been shaken by the collapse last year of Kaupthing Singer and Friedlander Isle of Man, the local branch of the failed Icelandic bank.

One bank brought to its knees by the UK government, not really representative of the Manx economy as a whole.

but what does a negative RPI index mean ?, deflation ?

Yes. I see it's at -0.2% currently on the isle of man with the index being skewed heavily down because of low mortgage interest.

but something has to offset gas and electricity prices :D

One bank brought to its knees by the UK government, not really representative of the Manx economy as a whole.

There are other banks operating on the IOM whose parent companies have recently had to be rescued from default by taxpayers in other jurisdictions. IOM taxpayers have had to contribute NOTHING to keep banks such as Lloyds TSB and Royal Bank of Scotland in business on the IOM. Governments around the world have been generous with their own taxpayers' money to support their financial services industries.

The Isle of Man is the only jurisdiction in the world in which Kaupthing customers have not yet been promised the return of all their money. Yet in fighting for parity with other Kaupthing depositors some residents of IOM have the temerity to call the depositors who have lost everything greedy !

If the economy is doing so well it can afford to do the honorable thing to support its depositors and 'stand in their shoes ' as other governments have done and at the same time enhancing its reputation as a safe and secure financial centre.

There are other banks operating on the IOM whose parent companies have recently had to be rescued from default by taxpayers in other jurisdictions. IOM taxpayers have had to contribute NOTHING to keep banks such as Lloyds TSB and Royal Bank of Scotland in business on the IOM. Governments around the world have been generous with their own taxpayers' money to support their financial services industries.

But this 'generous' government in the UK took your money didn't it? Where is that £500million?

But this 'generous' government in the UK took your money didn't it? Where is that £500million?

Thats what I would like the IOMG and the IOM Regulator to find out and ask for it back!

I entrusted my money to an bank in the jurisdiction of the IOMG it is not for them to say sorry we lost it but its not our fault you will just have to get it back yourself.

Those manx residents who had their money in the RBS are not in this situation are they ?

Thats what I would like the IOMG and the IOM Regulator to find out and ask for it back!

I entrusted my money to an bank in the jurisdiction of the IOMG it is not for them to say sorry we lost it but its not our fault you will just have to get it back yourself.

Those manx residents who had their money in the RBS are not in this situation are they ?

Who says? You?

What if IOMG transferred and froze all of RBS's assets under some law they deemed suitable to and brought them down? Would you be happy paying it back as a taxpayer to all the depositers? Wouldn't you be asking what the IOMG were doing with the money?

Archived