Miserable Shop Assistants

Punisher

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find that lots of shop assistants on the IOM are rude and lack basic manners and customer service skills. I think that a great deal of this stems from the fact that there isn't the same competition for jobs on the island as there is on the mainland

I would disagree. Competition for jobs is not going to have an effect on the ability of staff to offer good customer service. If they are shit workers they wouldn't be there at all.

Customer service can vary greatly from one shop to another, from one business to another, and from one person to another. I know from shopping in the Arndale in Manchester that the customer service assistants can seem completely uninterested and almost rude. Whereas in the Salford Shopping Centre I actually find them friendly (and maybe helpful at times).

But then when you are on such a shit wage, doing a mundane job, and having to push sales you can't really expect too much unless the boss has the whip out.

It does vary with people/shops in general but i would just like to say M & Co (i think its called) opposite Energy Radio station where brilliant when my friend and i went in yesterday,they couldnt have been more friendly or helpful.My two pet hates that really annoy me are being told "if its not out, we hav'nt got it",and me saying a polite "hi or hello" to the shop assistant and being ignored,i do think some people are not really suited to working with the public,but most people i come into contact with are alright.If you treat people as you would want to be treated then you can't go wrong,most are ok its just the odd one thats a tw*t.

I find that lots of shop assistants on the IOM are rude and lack basic manners and customer service skills. I think that a great deal of this stems from the fact that there isn't the same competition for jobs on the island as there is on the mainland

I take it that is why spitting image used the line "I've never met a nice South African" in the song. Oh and point of order, we are the mainland, that is just another island often reffered to as the adjacent shithole across (points east).

Jimbms you are the type of comeover that gives the British a bad name. England's a nice place as is the Isle of Man. Ok it went wrong for you across and you skiddadled over here. But your here now, relax, live and let live it's how we live.

In my time I've spoken to people from all over the world by telephone. Amongst the nicest are South Africans who live in South Africa. And the rudest, most unreasonable peope are British Expatriots. I wonder whether SA's on the Island and Brits abroad are simillar people - they leave their homeland because they think it's going to pot, then get all annoyed because where they move to doesn't match their expectations. But maybe the solution is within themselves.

Jimbms you are the type of comeover that gives the British a bad name. England's a nice place as is the Isle of Man. Ok it went wrong for you across and you skiddadled over here. But your here now, relax, live and let live it's how we live.

In my time I've spoken to people from all over the world by telephone. Amongst the nicest are South Africans who live in South Africa. And the rudest, most unreasonable peope are British Expatriots. I wonder whether SA's on the Island and Brits abroad are simillar people - they leave their homeland because they think it's going to pot, then get all annoyed because where they move to doesn't match their expectations. But maybe the solution is within themselves.

very good post that Dec.

I'm new to the Island and have found customer service in shops to be very good. That said, I'm chatty and friendly with everyone and seem to get the same attitude back from people. Having worked in shops and owned one myself I feel for shop assistants as there are members of the public who speak to you like you're the lowest of the low. It's incredibly hard to stay upbeat if half the people who have come through the door that morning have been twunty, abrupt, bad mannered and treated you like a glorified, automated cash register.

It's incredibly hard to stay upbeat if half the people who have come through the door that morning have been twunty, abrupt, bad mannered and treated you like a glorified, automated cash register.

Exactly. But for those who are really rude you can just give as good as them. And it can be really funny at times.

It's incredibly hard to stay upbeat if half the people who have come through the door that morning have been twunty, abrupt, bad mannered and treated you like a glorified, automated cash register.

Exactly. But for those who are really rude you can just give as good as them. And it can be really funny at times.

And it would be worthwhile remembering that the customer is always right

You might want to pop into Costa and shatter that illusion.. I know you think he is a hard working individual, and I am sure he is.. but just wait till you disagree with him over an order or he comes and asks you to move from your table, as you only have 3 sips left to go from your large latte that cost you a small morgage.

:rolleyes:

But they are not. This is just a statement aimed at maintaining profit through customer loyalty. Sometimes customers can be exceptionally rude and treat the staff like shit. Most employers would rather allow this than have the staff member tell the customer to 'bugger off' or respond in a more fitting way. But it is absolutely unacceptable for staff to receive disrespect.

Do you class as customers the people you are charging hefty sums of money to stay at your pad during TT period?

Archived