The Great Tt Conspiricy

theman

Semantics.

We live in an age of health and safety nannying, and whilst I'm not an avid fan of TT (the road closures are all a bit of an inconvenience, the crowds are a pain, it brings out the worst in driving and riding and I don't think you can get much of a feel for the racing unless you watch it on TV) I wholeheartedly support the festival, if only for the tens of thousands of people who DO enjoy it so much - primarily I guess because it's an antidote to the cotton-wool society we otherwise live in.

The combination of badly surfaced country lanes and a huge increase in fast bike traffic for the fortnight will always conspire to create accidents, so if you're resentful or nervous, stay off the roads or drive defensively. The Isle of Man ISN'T marketing itself as 'Death Race 2009' to visitors, so comments about the risk/reward are tenuous to say the least. As long as people are prepared to put on the races, competitors are prepared to race and the fans are prepared to visit, the festival has a future.

On ITV last night the presenter said they were worth (IIRC) £12m a year to us - and the kudos of owning and hosting a world-class event - it would be a VERY sad day if the doom merchants ever had their way.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i am all for safety etc but the closing of areas that were great for watching the TT has really pi**ed me off now.

What is happening is a lot of the places you can watch are getting so packed its not even worth going out to watch em.

Why fence them off ?

Why not put up a sign saying that if you spectate here you do so at your own risk ?

This health and safety culture is driving me mad, what ever happened to common sense?

One accident at joeys has really made the TT boring now, look at the gooseneck a classic natural spectator spot now lies empty. :angry:

My understanding is that the restricted areas are determined by the ACU - the governing body of bike racing - NOT the organisers or Manx authorities. Whilst it would be nice to do the races 'the Manx way' and without outside intervention, I'd guess that to be an untenable way forward. So whatever WE think about free trackside spectating, ambulance-chasing litigation lawyers and all the rest of it (I wonder how many 'free' road races the ACU have experience of? Maybe the Irish ones?) I think we're just going to have to suck it up and smile.

corporate manslaughter this is an organised sporting festival and as such the organisers can be held responsible for each death during the festival. provision should be made to ensure the safety of the public during the fortnight, and not just when the roads are closed. these visitors are riding like twats and to be honest some of them deserve to be killed before they kill someone local just trying to get to work. there are too many senseless deaths on our roads so lets start holding someone accountable. i believe that the first time one of these unqualified marshals are sued for gross incompetence we will see an end to this carnage. i drove home tonight and looked at the marshalls setting up and i honestly believe that elder grange must have emptied so that these practises could go ahead. there wasn't one under 70 all the way to ballacraine.

I agree! Most of the marshalls that I have seen do not look like they could walk unaided. I shudder to think how they would cope in an emergency

In that case get of your moaning arse and go be a marshal, do something useful for once

My understanding is that the restricted areas are determined by the ACU - the governing body of bike racing

i think you misunderstand then. it is the organisers and not the ACU that decide where you can and can't go. if it is government land then any decission gets rubber stamped, if they want private property to be restricted they ask you to sign a contract with them accepting it ( not with the ACU ). if you DON'T!! they tell you how if anything goes wrong you could be sued etc and really lay it on thick. once you agree they then write up a contract and 'mistakes' in their favour have been known to slip in so that even more of your hedgerow than you thought is now restricted!! READ it carefully before signing. i think personally that many spots are restricted now so that the marshalls have less to deal with in those areas.

My understanding is that the restricted areas are determined by the ACU - the governing body of bike racing

i think you misunderstand then. it is the organisers and not the ACU that decide where you can and can't go. if it is government land then any decission gets rubber stamped, if they want private property to be restricted they ask you to sign a contract with them accepting it ( not with the ACU ). if you DON'T!! they tell you how if anything goes wrong you could be sued etc and really lay it on thick. once you agree they then write up a contract and 'mistakes' in their favour have been known to slip in so that even more of your hedgerow than you thought is now restricted!! READ it carefully before signing. i think personally that many spots are restricted now so that the marshalls have less to deal with in those areas.

oh and how much do the iom gov pay acu???????? for handling & the organising of the TT ? ???

corporate manslaughter this is an organised sporting festival and as such the organisers can be held responsible for each death during the festival. provision should be made to ensure the safety of the public during the fortnight, and not just when the roads are closed. these visitors are riding like twats and to be honest some of them deserve to be killed before they kill someone local just trying to get to work. there are too many senseless deaths on our roads so lets start holding someone accountable. i believe that the first time one of these unqualified marshals are sued for gross incompetence we will see an end to this carnage. i drove home tonight and looked at the marshalls setting up and i honestly believe that elder grange must have emptied so that these practises could go ahead. there wasn't one under 70 all the way to ballacraine.

I agree! Most of the marshalls that I have seen do not look like they could walk unaided. I shudder to think how they would cope in an emergency

In that case get of your moaning arse and go be a marshal, do something useful for once

Much as I agree that it would be nice to see TOTH do or say something constructive rather than ripping his TT visitors off this is a bit like saying that those who rail against Costa Coffee man should open their own coffee shop.

oh and how much do the iom gov pay acu???????? for handling & the organising of the TT ? ???

don't know, but the contract for the restricted area is not with the ACU.

oh"oh OH" SO THE ACU dont organising the tt, oh who is

it's not i

Much as I agree that it would be nice to see TOTH do or say something constructive rather than ripping his TT visitors off this is a bit like saying that those who rail against Costa Coffee man should open their own coffee shop.

Big difference, to open a coffee shop costs money, to be a marshal costs nothing but time

ACU ltd!! are the umbrella that it is run under, but there are many 'groups' under that that do the 'organising', DTL, marshalls association and locals that get 'titled' posts under the ACU banner just for the TT. after all, we don't want 'locals' being blamed or being responsible for dead spectators again?? cos then the 'help' and experience leaves enmass and we can't man the TT at all. NOOOOO. we don't want the responsibillity of it cos we fuck it up like last time the ACU pulled out of being the figure head so we couldn't blame them!! ( i could be thinking of the MGP though? )

The TT conspiricy is, trying to make the TT so 4King lame, so boring HEALTH 'N'SAFETY batties ahve gone off the rails, as for the bands and entertainment. If your a travelling to the TT after this year would you come back??????? :whatever: ,S

What they are trying to do is make every pay twice to come here then to watch it by making the whole course restricted areas, so everyone pays to cram into small stands and pay another fee everyday !!! they will kill the TT without a doubt :angry:

And the sooner the TT is killed better, hurray to the conspiracy, hurray that the weather is the shits and there is nothing for the ripe leather clad dolts to do.

The TT conspiricy is, trying to make the TT so 4King lame, so boring HEALTH 'N'SAFETY batties ahve gone off the rails, as for the bands and entertainment. If your a travelling to the TT after this year would you come back??????? :whatever: ,S

What they are trying to do is make every pay twice to come here then to watch it by making the whole course restricted areas, so everyone pays to cram into small stands and pay another fee everyday !!! they will kill the TT without a doubt :angry:

And the sooner the TT is killed better, hurray to the conspiracy, hurray that the weather is the shits and there is nothing for the ripe leather clad dolts to do.

domion i have a funny feeling that you would not like the tt to inprove.i all so think you are a rubber clad gimp. ,.;'/

What's gone wrong with the TT nigthlife, no more big screen to keep us entertained. All they had to do was put on the big screen and we could watch the coverage on ITV 4 simple! No entertainment to keep us interested, What happend to stunts, the competitions, Miss Wet T-Shirt. The coverage on the T.V. is so good all your doing is wanting everyone who loves coming here to stay home and watch it on the couch. Good luck Isle of Man Tourist board, sack the head of this department and employ someone has an imagination!!!! Bring back the old days, sod off health and safety!!! WE WANT OUR FREEEEEEDOMMM

Archived