Lest We Forget

bluemonday

Perhaps if we had the same system, MPs would not have been so ready to embroil us in Iraq.

S

But the MPs almost all have a very good education. I am sure they have learnt their history.

When I was at school in the sixties, History (the subject) stopped at about 1880.

S

When I was at school in the sixties, History (the subject) stopped at about 1880.

I asked my teacher in the 80's why we didn't do the Wars and was told it was too soon to come to a definitive opinion.

I asked my teacher in the 80's why we didn't do the Wars and was told it was too soon to come to a definitive opinion.

Echoes of Chou En Lai's visit to France in the 70's. In a television interview he was asked if he thought the French Revolution had been a good thing for France or not - after a while pondering he famously replied - "It is too soon to tell". The Chinese certainly do take the long view on things!

But certainly in the UK and the IOM there seems to be little effort made to teach children of the horrors of war. In Poland, every child is taken to concentration camps and shown what happened. Perhaps if we had the same system, MPs would not have been so ready to embroil us in Iraq.

S

Not so. These days a lot of UK schools do battlefield tours in France and Belgium including some of the cemeteries. My daughter told me that seeing all those headstones helped to put the scale of the slaughter into perspective. Well worth it.

Echoes of Chou En Lai's visit to France in the 70's. In a television interview he was asked if he thought the French Revolution had been a good thing for France or not - after a while pondering he famously replied - "It is too soon to tell". The Chinese certainly do take the long view on things!

Why do you assume that? I don't think that such a response is necessarily a trait of the Chinese. I would have interpreted that as a communist who is deciding on whether the outcome of the bourgeois revolution was a good thing for France. In other words, what have been the consequences of such a revolution in the long term. If it means that the bourgeois continue to consolidate and expand on their control of labour and capital then it isn't so good.

But certainly in the UK and the IOM there seems to be little effort made to teach children of the horrors of war. In Poland, every child is taken to concentration camps and shown what happened. Perhaps if we had the same system, MPs would not have been so ready to embroil us in Iraq.

S

Not so. These days a lot of UK schools do battlefield tours in France and Belgium including some of the cemeteries. My daughter told me that seeing all those headstones helped to put the scale of the slaughter into perspective. Well worth it.

Well, I'm glad to hear a few do it. But I think it is a very small minority.

S

Archived