Manannan Not Running..

Amadeus

All attempts I have made to the IOMSPC to try and arrange day trips for friends hopefully from Liverpool or Heysham or even Fleetwood have met with not one response and if you phone they don't seem to know what to say, I wonder if we want visitors to The Island, at least here we can have open debate one of the Yahoo Message Boards have this week asked for anyone complaining against the Steam Packet to go to another board??

Another load of BS, the IOMSP allways return calls, may not be what you wanted , but always return the call

And the proof you have of that is .......... ? I'm guessing that he would not have posted had not what he said been true.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my mate came back on the boat today and it was near empty

Its bigger, hence more space, hence seems empty.

At times I'm convinced that the racket wants to keep the supposed 40% loading so as to claim that it is isn't their fault they have to have such high ticket prices

Mark Woodward says the Manannan uses more fuel than the ship it is replacing so expect no mercy on fare prices - particularly if they can't get above the 40% passenger load utilisation.

My mate works on this fast craft and has not been paid for six weeks, he has been told that the wages are not dealt with on the Island and must contact the office in Jersey ? funny this I thought it was IOMSP

My mate works on this fast craft and has not been paid for six weeks, he has been told that the wages are not dealt with on the Island and must contact the office in Jersey ? funny this I thought it was IOMSP

The wages come via a Guernsey office under the monicker Manx Sea Transport Guernsey, it would also depend on whether you mate is working direct for the racket or via a crewing agency .Saying that it sounds like they aer just fobbing him off with excuses because there is a guy who deals with payroll in the HR dept . IoMSP is pretty much just a brand name now , lets face it the company is owned by a load of Aussie pension funds via an Australian bank .

• 3 weeks later...

The Mannan running on three engines? Well, I had a bit of an experience with IOMSPC this summer. I travelled to the island on the Snaefell, which should be renamed the Snafu*. Why? Yes, only three out of four engines running meaning an extra half-hour's journey time. The Captain promised to use favourable wind, tides and witchcraft to make up for the loss. Practically every summer for the past four years when I've travelled to the IOM, I've experienced the "three engines" explanation. I think this is a fuel saving measure as it's happened once too often.

The Passenger Services Manager on the Snaefell is a washing machine. Some old man had been having a crafty puff on a cancer stick in the bogs. The PSM wasn't happy. "Passengers are reminded that smoking is not permitted anywhere on the Snaefell. SO STOP IT NOW, DON'T DO IT AGAIN! IT'S NAUGHTY! I mean, can't you just stop and consider the needs of others? Please don't smoke, it stresses me out and you're going to make me cry! Won't you please think of the children? Sniffle, Sob, BOO HOO!

I returned from the IOM on the Mannan. I have to say that is marvellous, spacious clean ferry. Very well set out and loads of legroom.

Knowest thou that the Captain is Italian? I heard his welcome announcement and I could only understand half of it. I swear at one stage he drifted from English into Italian. He may well have been saying,"Hey yousa no causa da trouble on a my boata. You causa da trouble, I givea you da concrete shoes and a you sleepa wid da fishes! Capische?

According to legend Mannan Mac Lir was a skilled navigator. Off the Copeland Islands the ship came to a dead stop. Captain Vincenti explained this was to take on a pilot to guide us into Belfast harbour.

*Situation Normal All Fucked Up.

The Mannan running on three engines? Well, I had a bit of an experience with IOMSPC this summer. I travelled to the island on the Snaefell, which should be renamed the Snafu*. Why? Yes, only three out of four engines running meaning an extra half-hour's journey time. The Captain promised to use favourable wind, tides and witchcraft to make up for the loss. Practically every summer for the past four years when I've travelled to the IOM, I've experienced the "three engines" explanation. I think this is a fuel saving measure as it's happened once too often.

The three engines explanation means that only three engines are operational, i.e. one CANNOT work. It isn't anything to do with fuel.

3 engines on the snaffle last year probably a fucked turbocharger . 3 engines on the Viking in the last couple of years probably a fucked gearbox . If they were going to try and save fuel they would just run at reduced speed , running on 3 engines is actually a real pain in the arse as it fucks up the manoueverability of the things and can actrually use a similar amount of fuel due to general pissing about if you have to take detours to avoid a slight breeze etc .

And Manannan's problem was a start-up motor.

It's not like they make-up stories to dupe the public.

I think we can put that amongst other similar sayings:

The cheques in the post

I love you

Honest I wont cum in your mouth

From IOM Today:

FRIDAY, JULY 10, 2009 23:17: I wonder if my experience today is typical or an exception in terms of assessing the professionalism and competence of the IOMSPC? A friend was travelling over from Dublin. Wondering what time the boat might arrive I phoned the IOMSPC number. Great system. It tells you what time ships sail. It does not tell you when it will dock. So I went on-line. It said arrival would be be 16.55. Having driven down to meet a 16.55 arrival I thought a quick check of the screens in the Sea Terminal might help. They would have been some use if you were travelling yesterday - but not today. 24 hours out of date. Impressively bad. So I asked an employee of the IOMSPC. She did not know when the ship would arrive. She then phoned someone in 'HQ' who also didn't know. Eventually she found someone who told her that it was going to be 45 minutes late. Then I saw that IOMSPC have a couple of computer screens in the Sea Terminal. Out of interest I checked their website for 'Today's Sailings'. You've guessed it. Not updated. Still showing 16.55 arrival. It arrived at 17.45. If a business school wants a case study of how not to provide customer service may I suggest that we have a ready made one here - the company running the ferry service.

No doubt this is all down to running on 3 engines and not telling the staff in case they tell the public.

I think it is very Manx of the Mannnan to only use three engines - maybe it should have been named the Triskelion. Still given that it is thirstier than the Viking maybe Macquarie will be pleased if it is only running on three of the four.

I think it is very Manx of the Mannnan to only use three engines - maybe it should have been named the Triskelion. Still given that it is thirstier than the Viking maybe Macquarie will be pleased if it is only running on three of the four.

Every time I have been on it, it has vibrated like mad. Perhaps the engines are only running on three cylinders, too.

S

From IOM Today:

FRIDAY, JULY 10, 2009 23:17: I wonder if my experience today is typical or an exception in terms of assessing the professionalism and competence of the IOMSPC? A friend was travelling over from Dublin. Wondering what time the boat might arrive I phoned the IOMSPC number. Great system. It tells you what time ships sail. It does not tell you when it will dock. So I went on-line. It said arrival would be be 16.55. Having driven down to meet a 16.55 arrival I thought a quick check of the screens in the Sea Terminal might help. They would have been some use if you were travelling yesterday - but not today. 24 hours out of date. Impressively bad. So I asked an employee of the IOMSPC. She did not know when the ship would arrive. She then phoned someone in 'HQ' who also didn't know. Eventually she found someone who told her that it was going to be 45 minutes late. Then I saw that IOMSPC have a couple of computer screens in the Sea Terminal. Out of interest I checked their website for 'Today's Sailings'. You've guessed it. Not updated. Still showing 16.55 arrival. It arrived at 17.45. If a business school wants a case study of how not to provide customer service may I suggest that we have a ready made one here - the company running the ferry service.

No doubt this is all down to running on 3 engines and not telling the staff in case they tell the public.

Wait a sec, this three engines problem happened week's ago because of a start-up motor problem. Just because a boat was late on one day doesn't mean it is still running on three engines.

Every time I have been on it, it has vibrated like mad. Perhaps the engines are only running on three cylinders, too.

S

ha ha, that would be a problem on 3 cylinders, they are V-18cylinder jobs !

Archived