Manannan Not Running..

Amadeus

LDV if that is the plan it would be better to let someone else service Ireland who would promote the service and run it at convenient times that will attract custom not kill it. Bearing in mind that to keep the User Agreement in force to 2020 the IOMSPC has to run Irish sailings, doing it overnight will reduce passenger payloads even more.

If it is possible to run the sailings at convenient times and attract custom why does the Steam Packet not do that already?

More of a general observation; but in every Steam Packet debate there seems to be the unreconcilable claims that a) The Steam Packet is being used to "squeeze" profits out of a captive population whilst at the same time b) not wanting to do anything that would boost these profits such as promoting use or operating one of these near-mythical all-weather craft.

But the SP is largely dependent on residents who travel, I thought. Not holidaymakers. How could you really improve profits a lot through advertising? I doubt a massive wod of money used for marketing would be money spent wisely.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
any idea why the late departure this morning ?

or why yet another very late arrival by Snaefell this evening from Dublin? left Dublin 1 hour late and website says crossing will be approx 1 hour longer than normal.

I see the IOMSPC website also says that for 12 months to June shows their reliability as 99.1% (not defined) and punctuality 95.3% (based on departure time not arrival)

any idea why the late departure this morning ?

or why yet another very late arrival by Snaefell this evening from Dublin? left Dublin 1 hour late and website says crossing will be approx 1 hour longer than normal.

I see the IOMSPC website also says that for 12 months to June shows their reliability as 99.1% (not defined) and punctuality 95.3% (based on departure time not arrival)

Probably because of damage to an engine, a rope got jammed in one of them. It ran on three engines.

maximum speed was 28 knots (I thought it used to be 36 knots) which sounded slow for a fastcat.

How busy (i.e. full of passengers and vehicles) are the Seacats these days? Because one thing that dawned on me is the weight of the craft. The speed is dependent on weight.

How busy (i.e. full of passengers and vehicles) are the Seacats these days? Because one thing that dawned on me is the weight of the craft. The speed is dependent on weight.

According to Mark Woodward the Irish service is under-utilised so presumably they are travelling light. BTW if it was a rope today that slowed the Snaefell down, what was it last week and the week before?

Had the usual 'customer hmmmm service' from IOMSPC on arrival times today. Friends phone from Dublin to say they will be leaving late and have been told that they will be getting in at 7.00 pm with a 4 hour crossing instead of 2 hrs 50. Phone the ever helpful IOMSPC enquiry number to see if there is any information - it doesn't even mention that there is a sailing from Dublin today - only Liverpool and Heysham.

So phone the admin number. Lady there doesn't know what is happening but kindly enquires. She tells me that the reason there is not a message on the phone to say anything about Dublin sailings today is because the IOMSPC have no idea when Snaefell will arrive. They do not consider it helpful to warn people here that the ship will be delayed and to ask them to call back later.

So in Dublin they have given an EAT, in Douglas they have no idea, and funnily enough on their website (which I checked after the helpful admin input) they were saying it would arrive at 7.30 pm.

When I got down to the Sea Terminal the screen that last week was helpfully showing everyone the previous days sailing information has now been retuned to BBC News Channel. The first member of staff I talk to in the booking office has no idea when the Dublin sailing will arrive. Luckily the second person is more clued up and says 7.15. Our friends have texted to say that they have been told 6.55...it gets in at 7.00 (so Dublin got it right to begin with).

What a joined-up thinking company...

The speed is dependent on weight.

No it isn't. A Nimitz class Carrier can hit 38 knots.

Can it? Wow. They're impressive ships. However, it is basic physics that if a craft changes its weight it will be more difficult to propel through water. The ships engines will operate at a optimal level (if there are no problems) so the more the Seacat is filled and more new equipment added to the boat, the less speed can be achieved.

According to Mark Woodward the Irish service is under-utilised so presumably they are travelling light. BTW if it was a rope today that slowed the Snaefell down, what was it last week and the week before?

Had the usual 'customer hmmmm service' from IOMSPC on arrival times today. Friends phone from Dublin to say they will be leaving late and have been told that they will be getting in at 7.00 pm with a 4 hour crossing instead of 2 hrs 50. Phone the ever helpful IOMSPC enquiry number to see if there is any information - it doesn't even mention that there is a sailing from Dublin today - only Liverpool and Heysham.

So phone the admin number. Lady there doesn't know what is happening but kindly enquires. She tells me that the reason there is not a message on the phone to say anything about Dublin sailings today is because the IOMSPC have no idea when Snaefell will arrive. They do not consider it helpful to warn people here that the ship will be delayed and to ask them to call back later.

So in Dublin they have given an EAT, in Douglas they have no idea, and funnily enough on their website (which I checked after the helpful admin input) they were saying it would arrive at 7.30 pm.

When I got down to the Sea Terminal the screen that last week was helpfully showing everyone the previous days sailing information has now been retuned to BBC News Channel. The first member of staff I talk to in the booking office has no idea when the Dublin sailing will arrive. Luckily the second person is more clued up and says 7.15. Our friends have texted to say that they have been told 6.55...it gets in at 7.00 (so Dublin got it right to begin with).

What a joined-up thinking company...

I don't know about last week, but I know the Snaefell is currently running on three engines because of this problem with a rope.

In any case, your issue seems to lie with the customer service and informing customers of what is going on, not with WHY it is late.

In any case, your issue seems to lie with the customer service and informing customers of what is going on, not with WHY it is late.

If it wasn't constantly late I would not have to experience the incredibly bad customer service in relation to delays in sailings! I frankly don't care WHY it is late - I care that it is late so often!

If it wasn't constantly late I would not have to experience the incredibly bad customer service in relation to delays in sailings! I frankly don't care WHY it is late - I care that it is late so often!

How often are the boats late? Is it mainly the Dublin service?

• 1 month later...

Archived