London Met Orchestra + Anna Goldsmith, Thurs 11th

guacamole

greetings forumites!

just a plug for this Thursday's TTXGP concert at the Villa Marina, which really will be one 'not to miss' as they say.

London Met Orchestra (72 piece) will be playing a diverse programme ranging from Prince to Queen* , and a selection of the soundtracks they're most famous for; more importantly tho, ower very own Anna Goldsmith will be making an appearance to sing a specially commisioned version of 'Night Fever' by the Isle's most successful beardy bandmates, which has been arranged for the LMO by Dave Armstrong (Dave has worked crazily hard on this and it sounds fab - & with Anna singing with a full orch in the Royal Hall it'll really be something to behold!) following info taken from the ttxgp website:

"About the Orchestra: The LMO is London's finest multimedia orchestra, engaged by all the major Hollywood studios and worldwide record companies. LMO has also gained worldwide recognition for television and film soundtracks including Band of Brothers, Inspector Morse, From the Earth to the Moon, Johnny English Gangs of New York, Reign of Fire, & About a Boy and has collaborated in recordings and international live performances with many well-known artists including: Paul McCartney, Luciano Pavarotti, Eric Clapton, Annie Lennox, Sting, Quincy Jones, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, Julia Migenes, Jon Bon Jovi & Simply Red.

The programme will comprise contemporary film and chart music, played by one of the worlds finest orchestra’s over 2 hours with an interval. The event is to celebrate the heritage of the TT, the host, Isle of Man and the launch of TTXGP, marking a new phase in Motorsport history. As well as a stunning backdrop of the newly restored Villa Marina’s Royal Hall, the concert will include a jumbo video system to add visuals to the performance including dynamic 3D special effects. It promises to be an unforgettable experience of sound and vision and a celebration of the IOM and the TT."

to be blunt, there are way too many tickets left at the moment... so if it's not your bag, would be really grateful if you could mention it to someone who you think will enjoy it. would be a crying shame if it wasn't a decently packed house for this - it's what the Villa was made for :)

cheers all :D

guac

*just need a bit of King to complete the family ;)

to be blunt, there are way too many tickets left at the moment... so if it's not your bag, would be really grateful if you could mention it to someone who you think will enjoy it. would be a crying shame if it wasn't a decently packed house for this - it's what the Villa was made for :)

45 quid is the stinger. I really fancy it, it sounds like it'll be spectacular but in an already expensive week of live music, this one had to go.

i think tix start from £34? i know it's expensive, but it's about what you'd pay to see them in the UK. the other orchestra programmes we've been to at the Villa are usually sold out, so there must be bods out there who'd rather pay that much for a 72 pce orchestra than they would for a 3 or 4pce rock band - just need to find them and let them know about it! :)

Hmmmm, not sure how we've managed to miss this being on. We would love to go and see Anna play on such an amazing night for her, but we're playing ourselves that night.

Hope it goes really well for all those involved. :)

i think tix start from £34? i know it's expensive, but it's about what you'd pay to see them in the UK. the other orchestra programmes we've been to at the Villa are usually sold out, so there must be bods out there who'd rather pay that much for a 72 pce orchestra than they would for a 3 or 4pce rock band - just need to find them and let them know about it! :)

Dunno, if you have tons of tickets left, then the price point must have been wrong for the audience you're aiming it at. Maybe having a smaller market than the UK you need to price the event more competitively. I'd be interested in going, but a £70 price tag for a couple of hours entertainment in 2nd rate seats gives me pause ..

Anna Goldsmith is well ace as, I'm sure, are the met orch. I'd go but, I hate the Villa, beautiful complex full of 'twat of the week' employees. Choice between this and Brazen - Brazen wins.

hey thebees, that's fair enough, the Villa does have it's problems, but please don't let that affect your support of an incredible gig, or let it reflect on Anna!

Shaz is a superstar and both Anna and I will be heading down to see Brazen after the concert, but this is a one-off performance featuring an orchestra that rarely play outside of Abbey Road studios - Anna or no, it's a real coup for the TTXGP guys to bring this to the Isle of Man, and brave (and brilliant) of them to bring something other than 90s classic rock & tribute acts over during TT week.

it's also an amazing achievement for one of our own local artists to be invited to perform with a world class 72 piece orch, AND to have the orchestra playing a score arranged entirely by another local artist. this won't be happening again, where as I have no doubt Brazen will be out and about on the Island some time soon!

owen, regardless of how much smaller an audience we have over here in comparison to the UK, people will pay £40 a tick to see a pop or rock act without even thinking twice and it'll sell out in minutes - i realise everyone wants to see the Famous Names, but we do also have a really good classical music following over here & these guys are the top of their game. also, with everyone complaining about the calibre of bands this TT, i woudl've thought this would be a good tonic? ah well, can never judge these things i guess!

sorry to waffle on in a defensive manner, but i have to admit i'm really disappointed for the organisers and talent that this hasn't had the support it deserves. the TTXGP guys - and Anna - are really putting their necks on the line for something that i personally think is really special. totally understand if it ain't everyone's bag, but there's no denying this is something slightly more than the just the usual Bands in Tents or Pubs schedule and i really feel it should be given a lot more kudos and promo than it has had already.

rant over.. ;)

I'm guessing much of the target audience for this will either have escaped the island for TT week or are steering well clear of Douglas. It is a shame if the sales aren't good, it sounds like an amazing gig.

Hey. I was planning on coming to this and for what it's worth, I probably would have paid the money. However, I have a gig in sunny Kirk Michael. How often is it that we get a full on orchestra over here? I think perhaps the 'set list' wasn't what I thought it was going to be - perhaps the 'classical' crowd were thinking it might be a bit more actual orchestral arrangements based rather than songs, like the majority of the second half seems to be. I love film music and I was excited about this concert, but it's not the most exciting programme (although the first half is more appealing). Sorry if this sounds garbled but I hope it makes sense!

Archived