Police Expect Serious Traffic Congestion

kevster

Yes I agree it might cause backlogs but it will whichever way it goes and my point remains, it's way more likely to cause an accident with a child being run over for instance if you divert a ton of traffic through an estate instead of a main road. Can you imagine the questions that would be asked if that happened?

I saw that yesterday, and took the diversion wondering what it was all about. This had the happy effect of reminding me of the great grub at the Anagh Cooar butchers, so I dropped in there and stocked up. When I came out I forgot all about the diversion, and drove down to the main road, up to the roundabout, and on to the West. No problem.

S

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the place should be pretty empty as there's well over 1000 already gone home on the boats this morning, and it's only tuesday, the place will be a ghost town by friday

Is this true? Are the visitors disattisfied?

the place should be pretty empty as there's well over 1000 already gone home on the boats this morning, and it's only tuesday, the place will be a ghost town by friday

2 boats had 500+ on each this morning, I don't know how many Snaefell had going to Heysham at 6am

~ that's what is so annoying about the lovely sunny sunday with no racing when a lot of people seem to just make a long weekend of the event these days and maybe just saw 2 races

The MHK's who spout about how successful the gig at the Villa was for everyone who went (until they ran out of guinness, ~ they only have 3 managers and they still run out of supplies) didn't ask all the people walking around looking for something to do / somewhere to go :(

the race organisers also don't seem to appreciate people who have been coming here marshalling for the last 47 years either :(

2 boats had 500+ on each this morning, I don't know how many Snaefell had going to Heysham at 6am

~ that's what is so annoying about the lovely sunny sunday with no racing when a lot of people seem to just make a long weekend of the event these days and maybe just saw 2 races

Todays Examiner recons the races weren't on sunday because the track was still too wet from the day before. It's a race on the Isle of Man, shouldn't the teams be prepared for less than perfect conditions?

Yes I agree it might cause backlogs but it will whichever way it goes and my point remains, it's way more likely to cause an accident with a child being run over for instance if you divert a ton of traffic through an estate instead of a main road. Can you imagine the questions that would be asked if that happened?

I saw that yesterday, and took the diversion wondering what it was all about. This had the happy effect of reminding me of the great grub at the Anagh Cooar butchers, so I dropped in there and stocked up. When I came out I forgot all about the diversion, and drove down to the main road, up to the roundabout, and on to the West. No problem.

S

That's all well & good. But if you have two routes - both of which are bound to suffer congestion during busy times of day, surely it makes more sense to use one that's not through the middle of an estate? If anything, from the layout of the road I think the route through Anagh Cooar would cause more issues when it's busy anyway.

For instance, if you come from a southerly direction and want to go to peel you'd be using the roundabout anyway so that doesn't factor in, and if you come from Douglas side the tailback of people that would build up at the Anagh Cooar lights (as there's only a very short middle lane for people turning in) would block people trying to head south, and the roundabout would flow much better than traffic lights anyway.

So as well as sending a load of extra traffic through a busy estate it's probably hindering the traffic flow anyway.

Todays Examiner recons the races weren't on sunday because the track was still too wet from the day before. It's a race on the Isle of Man, shouldn't the teams be prepared for less than perfect conditions?

Perhaps it was the wrong type of rain? The kind that doesn't drain away.

I'm wondering about people going South from Kewaigue. I'm not sure they'd get off the roundabout if everyone was using it to go West and South from Anagh Coar way.

if, in the unlikely event of people using proper land discipline there should be a fair opportunity to turn south (of those going west take the correct lane, and there's not two lanes coming up the hill for a constant flow), but that situation was confounded when they closed off the previous route to the bottom of Richmond Hill. The road planners seem to have a fixation in directing all traffic towards one hot-spot traffic jam rather than allowing it to disperse in a thousand different directions

Police Expect Serious Traffic Congestion

I predict a riot

But it will be very slow moving.....

I'm wondering about people going South from Kewaigue. I'm not sure they'd get off the roundabout if everyone was using it to go West and South from Anagh Coar way.

if, in the unlikely event of people using proper land discipline there should be a fair opportunity to turn south (of those going west take the correct lane, and there's not two lanes coming up the hill for a constant flow), but that situation was confounded when they closed off the previous route to the bottom of Richmond Hill. The road planners seem to have a fixation in directing all traffic towards one hot-spot traffic jam rather than allowing it to disperse in a thousand different directions

And there you have it! People will adopt the "stuck to the car in front" attitude and then no-one stands a chance. You're right about the road past the incinerator. As it's nearly 2 lanes anyway at the end it could have made a great filter lane.

It's a nice day, much quicker and way less stressful to park on the outskirts bus it into work and walk back to the car afterwards.

Obviously very few people will actually have the sense to do this, will all leave work at the normal time and then moan about the traffic chaos

I think that this is the case. There is nothing for them this year except the racing

Archived