Police Expect Serious Traffic Congestion

kevster

The x1 is crap most of the time (at least for going into town) if you work right in the centre of Douglas as you know - it usually gets in with less than 5 minutes to walk to wherever you work.

It's hardly uncommon also that there's some hairbrained roadworks to pass en route, which means the express bus fails to even get in before 9.

The earlier one is a better option as long as you have some music to stomach the tedium of the full journey.

I would have agreed with you about a year ago, and that was my experience, so I caught the coach as a result. But that service declined so I switched back to the X1 and I've not been late in the morning this year, including time to pop into a shop.

Frances - x5 left Douglas at it's usual time.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are 2 X5's (there are even two X1s in fact that too left late as we followed it to Cooil rd roundabout)- it was the 17:43 that was late - usually if the boat is in early I see it depart the stand as I reach Fort St roundabout thanks the long detour forced to get out of the sea terminal

No. There's only 1 X1, there used to be an extra one @ 5:40 but that stopped in favour of a Tours Coach (same happened with Ramsey) since Tours don't run to Peel they kept the 5:40 to there. The x1 you saw should have left 17:08.

I was working on circular rd. today, it took me nearly an hour to get to Onchan before my northbound trip

...the open 'access' roads did fuck all to help people wanting to get to Ramsey and the north, WTF couldn't they open the road from johnny wattersons to the creg for even half an hour, it was a bloody disgrace, I'm seething

...next year, if any races get moved on to the next day and roads are going to be closed in the evening - I'm throwing a sicky

I'll be glad when they've all gone home :angry:

I would have agreed with you about a year ago, and that was my experience, so I caught the coach as a result. But that service declined so I switched back to the X1 and I've not been late in the morning this year, including time to pop into a shop.

Suppose it depends where you get off and then walk to. You get off the bus before I do, and usually by the point I get off further in town there's not time to grab a can of caffeiney stuff & walk to work comfortably before 9. You're right though that it does seem better than it used to be, but the slightest bit of roadworks seems to ruin that.

this place hasn't even got one of those indoor climbing walls

What's wrong with this one?

I'm sure, yes I did, say indoor....cos when it's pissing down withrain and freezing cold, that'll be about as enticing as receiving electric shocks to my gonads.....I've been speaking to a lot of Manx people lately who feel massively let down by the authorities for not providing the islands people and visitors with things to do for families when the weather is poor, I kind of agree that there is a fair amount of things to do when the weather is great but otherwise this place is piss poor...I am english and am looking forward to heading back to the UK pretty soon, but more importantly my wife who is as manx as the hills and from farming stock from generations upon generations of manx is even more eager to leave and I find this such a shame, I really do. The fact that there is a car park where summerland used to be, the lovely castle mona is lying derelict and the old bus station is yet still a car park is testament to how little has been done for the locals and tourism....yet you'll find that there are lovely marinas for the super rich tp park their yachts....as the yanks would say "go figure?"

Is it up to the government to make sure you have lots of fun though? I doubt it very much.

Most stuff like that is provided by businesses that are there to make a profit for themselves, and usually (not always) if there's sufficient demand to make a decent profit someone will have done it already.

I can't remember the last time I got bored, regardless of the weather and I'm tight so it's not like I go spending loads of gravy just to find something fun to do.

I'm not accusing you of this but I've heard it said before that people who get bored easily are boring people - is that a common saying? I can't even recall where I heard it but rather than it being meant offensively I'm wondering if the phrase is meant in the context of 'people who get bored easily usually can't be arsed thinking of something fun to do'?

Have to agree that it is a shame that so many places have closed down with apparently nothing replacing them but I don't believe it should necessarily be up to the authorities to provide 'fun stuff'. If nothing else I suppose they could encourage private businesses to do so and help them a bit maybe.

I'll wait now for someone to tell me that because the government don't pander to the wants of everyone for 'fun stuff' that's the reason behind loads crime. I don't believe that though. Kids have way more stuff to entertain them than they used to - they just expect more than they have, and expect it for nothing.

leaving it up to private profit will not give any affordable public amusements - think back to public parks in England, they were done on the rates, public libraries likewise as were public swimming baths + public gyms in the northern town I grew up in. Shetland has ploughed a lot of its oil money into local centres. Douglas instead pull down buildings to provide profit for car park operators - the 'bus station' is a disgrace,making obvious to all is the contempt the powers that be hold those who use public transport.

leaving it up to private profit will not give any affordable public amusements - think back to public parks in England, they were done on the rates, public libraries likewise as were public swimming baths + public gyms in the northern town I grew up in. Shetland has ploughed a lot of its oil money into local centres. Douglas instead pull down buildings to provide profit for car park operators - the 'bus station' is a disgrace,making obvious to all is the contempt the powers that be hold those who use public transport.

I suppose when you consider rates etc and the public 'resources' (for want of a better phrase) they should go towards you're right.

You're certainly right about things being pulled down/shut down and not being replaced though due to more money being available from other less useful 'ventures'.

I agree completely that it's a disturbing thing.

The point I was trying to make though (and still might be badly doing) is that people seem to think that the state should entertain them more & more and think up ways for them to enjoy themselves to save them being resourceful or inventive and doing it themselves. That's the impression I get anyway. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Times & people change obviously, so perhaps it's inevitable.

I was working on circular rd. today, it took me nearly an hour to get to Onchan before my northbound trip

...the open 'access' roads did fuck all to help people wanting to get to Ramsey and the north, WTF couldn't they open the road from johnny wattersons to the creg for even half an hour, it was a bloody disgrace, I'm seething

You wanted to get from Johnny Watterson's to the Creg back road? Seems a little strange to go via the back road, but I suppose you'd miss out the Birch Hill and Onchan traffic?

I'm wondering about people going South from Kewaigue. I'm not sure they'd get off the roundabout if everyone was using it to go West and South from Anagh Coar way.

An excellent point. When I got there at 5:30 the road down to Anagh Cooar and QBridge was already backed up, and I suspect the roundabout may have been impassable a bit later. So the housing estate route might have been cleverer than it looked.

S

I'm wondering about people going South from Kewaigue. I'm not sure they'd get off the roundabout if everyone was using it to go West and South from Anagh Coar way.

An excellent point. When I got there at 5:30 the road down to Anagh Cooar and QBridge was already backed up, and I suspect the roundabout may have been impassable a bit later. So the housing estate route might have been cleverer than it looked.

S

but as said before, there's only 2 routes which would get you out the other end, and about 16 culdesacs, and no signs to guide the folk who don't know the area

Is it up to the government to make sure you have lots of fun though? I doubt it very much.

Most stuff like that is provided by businesses that are there to make a profit for themselves, and usually (not always) if there's sufficient demand to make a decent profit someone will have done it already.

I can't remember the last time I got bored, regardless of the weather and I'm tight so it's not like I go spending loads of gravy just to find something fun to do.

I'm not accusing you of this but I've heard it said before that people who get bored easily are boring people - is that a common saying? I can't even recall where I heard it but rather than it being meant offensively I'm wondering if the phrase is meant in the context of 'people who get bored easily usually can't be arsed thinking of something fun to do'?

Have to agree that it is a shame that so many places have closed down with apparently nothing replacing them but I don't believe it should necessarily be up to the authorities to provide 'fun stuff'. If nothing else I suppose they could encourage private businesses to do so and help them a bit maybe.

I'll wait now for someone to tell me that because the government don't pander to the wants of everyone for 'fun stuff' that's the reason behind loads crime. I don't believe that though. Kids have way more stuff to entertain them than they used to - they just expect more than they have, and expect it for nothing.

I'm not saying I get bored, I actually don't. What I'm referring to iks that when my boy gets older and we have more children there doesn't seem to be a great deal to do as a family...all I ever seem to hear from people is go for walks....which we do but you can only go on so many walks before you need to do something else...with regard to the governement, I do think that they don't really encourage anyone to create activity places for people with young children or even replace things that shut down ie. the superbowl thing at the castlemona.....doing the same thing over and over agin becomes like groundhog day

Archived