Meat Shortages (bbq)

johnquayleiom

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been led to believe that some farmers, how many i don't know, are shipping their animals to the UK to be slaughtered due to the high cost of Isle of Man Fatstocks monopoly in pricing.

Maybe thats the reason ?

I have been led to believe that some farmers, how many i don't know, are shipping their animals to the UK to be slaughtered due to the high cost of Isle of Man Fatstocks monopoly in pricing.

Maybe thats the reason ?

Maybe - I thought it was actually a positive - butchers running out of meat due to high levels of demand, but that also makes sense.

Maybe thats the reason ?

For real? That is nuts. Only in the Isle of Man.

Maybe thats the reason ?

Miserable bastards - what about my steak!!

In reality i dont think this would cause shortages in supply would it? if there were loads of people shipping them the boat would stink!! and the animal rights gang might kick up a fuss.

But back to the issue, wheres my steak???

Maybe thats the reason ?

There must be a hell of a difference if you factor in the Steam Packet charges. Must be well over £1.5k for a cattle wagon out and back

yes for real

In reality i dont think this would cause shortages in supply would it? if there were loads of people shipping them the boat would stink!! and the animal rights gang might kick up a fuss.

In reality this could cause problems, there has been a hell of a lot of fat cattle/old cattle and breeding stock shipped off the island in the past year,

bout a wagon every 2 weeks shipped.

And in a Year there will be a hell of a lot less stock here,

but im sure a diffrent place prob had steak in the shop

There must be a hell of a difference if you factor in the Steam Packet charges. Must be well over £1.5k for a cattle wagon out and back

there is a hell of a difference in price, but all is not going for meat, a lot is old stock and breeding stock.

the uk farmers are paying a premium price for dairy cattle at the moment, over £1000 more for gd stock

old stock is worthless over here, u talking £200 a cow, in england u can say anywere from £900 a cow,

and for fat cattle its something like £500 a head diffrent in price

Yeah this is true i was chatting to a farmer a while back and he said a artic cattle wagon or two comes over here and picks em up.

Good on them if they are getting better prices why not. :lol:

Im guessing you can fit a lot of cows on an artic wagon? Again why not?

Yeah this is true i was chatting to a farmer a while back and he said a artic cattle wagon or two comes over here and picks em up.

Good on them if they are getting better prices why not. :lol:

Maybe thats the reason ?

No offence to any farmers, but how many of them are actually aware of accounting for cost? Im told the IOM Fatstock is 95% of that paid in uk - therefore those people sending stock out must have very tightly controlled costs?

Friend tells me the reason butchers didnt have steak was to do with the fatstock not having enough meat to supply, so maybe there is a load more animals going out than thought, thats not very good for the future when we keep getting told to buy manx.

yes for real

In reality this could cause problems, there has been a hell of a lot of fat cattle/old cattle and breeding stock shipped off the island in the past year,

bout a wagon every 2 weeks shipped.

And in a Year there will be a hell of a lot less stock here,

but im sure a diffrent place prob had steak in the shop

there is a hell of a difference in price, but all is not going for meat, a lot is old stock and breeding stock.

the uk farmers are paying a premium price for dairy cattle at the moment, over £1000 more for gd stock

old stock is worthless over here, u talking £200 a cow, in england u can say anywere from £900 a cow,

and for fat cattle its something like £500 a head diffrent in price

havent certain farms like marty downeys always shipped out gazza..

There was an item on the 'Farming Today' programme on BBC Radio 4 this morning at 5:40 covering just this issue.

Nice weather causes a run on cuts suitable for BBQ and so you get a shortage. They also mentioned that due to the FX rate at the moment, UK suppliers could get a better price selling their meat to European dealers. Not sure if this would apply to IoM suppliers though given the extra costs of shipping to the UK in the first place.

No offence to any farmers, but how many of them are actually aware of accounting for cost? Im told the IOM Fatstock is 95% of that paid in uk - therefore those people sending stock out must have very tightly controlled costs?

it is now. that is only been in the last month maybe 2 that the payments were put up. but the damage has been done allready with reduceded stock numbers cause by this price diffrence

as the price was quite low, a few ppl were shipping fat cattle out.

but most of the cattle that are shipped out. are old cows, cows that are not fit to breed from or just not needed as the costs dont stack up to keep and feed them.

theses cattle in the isle of man are worthless, but in the UK you would get £1000+ for them, depending on size etc

the reason thay are worth more in the uk is there is more market for them, dog/cat food for older cattle,

same with the breeding stock the Uk is short of breeding stock so that has pushed the price of theses stock up,

a lot of places are down sizeing, some are just cashing in while the going is good

havent certain farms like marty downeys always shipped out gazza..

certain farms yes have allways shipped out but never in the numbers that is happining at the moment

the reason certin farms have allways shipped out is the amount of cattle thay have to start with.

thay may well find thay have a wagon full of old cattle that needs to be shipped. so makes more sence for them to ship it them selfs than sell to a dealer that ships out.

Archived