Meat Shortages (bbq)

johnquayleiom

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They also mentioned that due to the FX rate at the moment, UK suppliers could get a better price selling their meat to European dealers. Not sure if this would apply to IoM suppliers though given the extra costs of shipping to the UK in the first place.

I'm sure that's the real reason. Anything easily exported is going to rise in price here because the pound has been devauled by 30%.

It's why I think we are in for serious inflation, not deflation.

The IOM is simply shipping to UK to make up for their shortfall.

S

They also mentioned that due to the FX rate at the moment, UK suppliers could get a better price selling their meat to European dealers. Not sure if this would apply to IoM suppliers though given the extra costs of shipping to the UK in the first place.

I'm sure that's the real reason. Anything easily exported is going to rise in price here because the pound has been devauled by 30%.

It's why I think we are in for serious inflation, not deflation.

The IOM is simply shipping to UK to make up for their shortfall.

S

Been in touch with a friend who is a butcher at abattoir - turns out some shops did run short - but onlky butchers shops - so yes tesco would have been better.

IOM does ship a good deal of meat to uk - basicaly cuts we cant sell on the island, its a historic thing, also ship to france which i am guessing is a good thing - linking in to what has been said about currency etc. Sounds like there is a lot more to our abattoir than i first believed.

Been in touch with a friend who is a butcher at abattoir - turns out some shops did run short - but onlky butchers shops - so yes tesco would have been better.

IOM does ship a good deal of meat to uk - basicaly cuts we cant sell on the island, its a historic thing, also ship to france which i am guessing is a good thing - linking in to what has been said about currency etc. Sounds like there is a lot more to our abattoir than i first believed.

yes manx meat has allways been exported, and manx cattle,

but not to the amount of cattle that is being exported at the moment

the abattoir wont be running in 5 years

yes manx meat has allways been exported, and manx cattle,

but not to the amount of cattle that is being exported at the moment

the abattoir wont be running in 5 years

Oh dear, i suppose my mate will be alright- hes a butcher, but what about all the animals produced by farmers who dont export? - surely some kind of killing facility will be required? Or will they just send them away?

Oh dear, i suppose my mate will be alright- hes a butcher, but what about all the animals produced by farmers who dont export? - surely some kind of killing facility will be required? Or will they just send them away?

well at the moment only the abattoir that is running can kill animals, no other one is allowed to open,

so no dowt in time the goverment may relaxe this rule and let a private company open one up to cater for the demand,

or we could all be eating britsh beef

the pound has been devauled by 30%.

£ is currently at appx €1.17

For that to represent a 30% devaluation against the € you would have to be comparing it with a time when the £ was worth appx €1.67. Or back to a time when the € was worth about 60p.

I may be wrong but I do not think that the € has ever been that weak relative to £ - certainly not since the € was actually up and running as a currency pre 2001/2002.

Have I got my maths wrong or am I misunderstanding something obvious?

ECB graph of £ / € rates

well at the moment only the abattoir that is running can kill animals, no other one is allowed to open,

so no dowt in time the goverment may relaxe this rule and let a private company open one up to cater for the demand,

So does Harris and Garret's abattoir not slaughter any animals then?

no there not allowed,

but thay pick the animals after killing to buy as to what suits them and then make the cuts of meat,

thay do it all but the killing

no there not allowed,

but thay pick the animals after killing to buy as to what suits them and then make the cuts of meat,

thay do it all but the killing

Fairy Nuff, I knew they did the prep and butchery potion and had assumed they did the killing as well.

Archived