Meat Shortages (bbq)

johnquayleiom

The problem was, all the butchers were told that thay would have to order there cuts b4 tt week, as thay were going to shutting down for tt week,

looks like some just diden order what thay needed and ran out

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about getting one of those delicious Iceland barbeque packs from Manx to the Max Shoprite.

57 different types of sausage and burger for only 12p. Kerry Katona looks good on them

Cardboard and testicles

Oh no,it would be like having dinner at coasters!!!

How about getting one of those delicious Iceland barbeque packs from Manx to the Max Shoprite.

57 different types of sausage and burger for only 12p. Kerry Katona looks good on them

Cardboard and testicles

Oh no,it would be like having dinner at coasters!!!

Think your right about coasters - went in there and had lasagna - basically a plate full of cheese, it was horrible.

the pound has been devauled by 30%.

£ is currently at appx €1.17

For that to represent a 30% devaluation against the € you would have to be comparing it with a time when the £ was worth appx €1.67. Or back to a time when the € was worth about 60p.

I may be wrong but I do not think that the € has ever been that weak relative to £ - certainly not since the € was actually up and running as a currency pre 2001/2002.

Have I got my maths wrong or am I misunderstanding something obvious?

ECB graph of £ / € rates

You're quite correct. I'm taking the worst figures. It did fall by 31.45%, and is now at approx 21% over the past two years.

S

The problem was, all the butchers were told that thay would have to order there cuts b4 tt week, as thay were going to shutting down for tt week,

looks like some just diden order what thay needed and ran out

There is already a large amount of meat on the island which was not slaughtered here.

There are quite a few local butchers who do not buy their beef here, but have it imported.

Some of the local butchers got fed up years ago getting palmed off with the shite that's left over after the best meat is shipped away. In fact, there used to be several butchers who actually formed a company called Island Traders. They had a refridgerated container full of Argentinian beef down Snugborough. When the company folded, the import license we still used, but of course the volume of imported meat decreased.

As I understand it, when de-regulation comes in here, everyone will be able to import freely from wherever they wish.

Prepare for many more farmes making a few quid from land turned into allotments.

Maybe by then we will be in the Euro, and farmers will rake in some extra funds by way of subsidies.

Just like sunny Alicante.

Maybe by then we will be in the Euro, and farmers will rake in some extra funds by way of subsidies.

Even if that meant being in the EU, EU farming subsidies will have been phased out quite soon now. All of the roads are leading in that direction and the european farmers know it. Unless there is a huge catastrophe or another big European war, the days of subsidies are over, give or take the shouting.

This is why there is a (temporary) move towards schemes such as paying farmers to manage the countryside - which is a way of keeping them quiet, politically*, ahead of completely abolishing subsidies everywhere. Paying farmers to manage the countryside is currently in vogue. You'll find various excuses used for this in different countries. In reality, of course, unused countryside manages itself perfectly well. It grows over. Political excuses / reasons given generally relate to land prices in reality.

[* ETA: that sounds a bit harsh on my part. It is not just about keeping them quiet politically - it is also about not devastating rural communities over night by introducing sudden dramatic change - change has to be gradual]

Subsidies date back to the years of shortages in the food supply when it was necessary to encourage people to produce food. This resulted in decades of cheap food. That era is coming to an end since ultimately there is enough demand for quality food to ensure that a proper free market would not result in a race to the bottom re quality.

ETA: free market will be established by freezing the rate at which subsidies for managing the countryside are set. At a certain point there will be more money to made actually producing food instead of collecting the stipends.

the subs/payments what ever u call them will never go, its a fact of life and ones that will be around for a lot longer to come

You always talk a lot of good sense but you are wrong about that. The EU subsidies are gradually being phased out and the European farmers know that. Go and talk to them if you do not believe me. They all know it which is why they are changing what they do.

And the plans over here must surely be about a move towards paying farmers to manage land - which is a staging point on the way to phasing out payments (and we know that because the same tactic has been used in other places which are further ahead on the road towards phasing out subsidies). Certain grants might be a different matter - but the days of effectively getting money per acre are nearly over.

This is not all doom and gloom by the way. Farming can be profitable. It's not just about the farmers - it's also about moving the public towards paying realistic prices for food. Food does not need to be state subsidized.

This is not all doom and gloom by the way. Farming can be profitable. It's not just about the farmers - it's also about moving the public towards paying realistic prices for food. Food does not need to be state subsidized.

There will, however, probably need to be some system to ensure that the poorest members of society don't starve.

The experience in Africa has been quite interesting. Many countries subsidise food, or set minimum prices. Kenya, I think under IMF advice, removed the subsidies and price controls, and in quite a short time discovered that there was plenty of food.

As you imply, managing the transition is the important bit.

S

im not debateing that thay will allways be here (well maybe i was), but i would say thay still be here for at least 20 years,

you cant just wipe 50billion payments off in such a small space of time,

but who knows what happin in the next 5 years and how it all work,

all i can say is im glad my main income aint from it.

Archived