Meat Shortages (bbq)

johnquayleiom

Staff at a meat factory on the Isle of Man are called back into work after supplies run out during the TT races.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/8103705.stm

I have just read that article with utter disbelief. Nothing but a pile of lies. Absolute nonsense. As a butcher on the island I am well aware there were shortages. I am also well aware that the manager - mr teare decided to shut the factory down in TT week. To say extra shifts were worked is nonsense, when his staff werent even in.

As a major customer of the meat plant I have kept my views to myself but after seeing this article I am disgusted.

Phil Teare, managing director of Isle of Man Meat Company, said: "Our customers were ringing us to say they had run out of meat, so we called the team back into the plant and worked extra shifts to meet our customers needs.

One of them was me and I was told by staff at the abattoir that they had run out because insufficient stocks were held due to the fact that the very man - phil teare - had exported all the stock earmarked for TT week.

I will be contacting Phil Gawne myself to see what the hell is going on. these boys think they can screw my trade up then go to the press and say they have sold more meat than ever!!

this is one step too far and its about time somebody who knows what they are doing took control up there. I lost out on valuable sales thanks to this fool.

Rant finished (for now)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is not all doom and gloom by the way. Farming can be profitable. It's not just about the farmers - it's also about moving the public towards paying realistic prices for food. Food does not need to be state subsidized.

There will, however, probably need to be some system to ensure that the poorest members of society don't starve.

As you imply, managing the transition is the important bit.

S

It's already being done - from April this year - http://www.gov.im/daff/countryside_care/

This is not all doom and gloom by the way. Farming can be profitable. It's not just about the farmers - it's also about moving the public towards paying realistic prices for food. Food does not need to be state subsidized.

There will, however, probably need to be some system to ensure that the poorest members of society don't starve.

As you imply, managing the transition is the important bit.

S

It's already being done - from April this year - http://www.gov.im/daff/countryside_care/

18 months max that last

So they turned a cock up into a back slapping exercise? Nothing new there fella.

Quite so

But this wasnt just a cock up - it was a disaster which has impacted heavily on my business. Bunch of idiots.

I suppose its what happens when a man who let his slipper factory go bust is put in to advise by our very own government.

Back slapping exercise that is so obviously a load of crap - meat plant seem to be the only people who did decent trade this TT - I wonder where the figures will come from to back up these ridiculous claims??

So they turned a cock up into a back slapping exercise? Nothing new there fella.

Quite so

But this wasnt just a cock up - it was a disaster which has impacted heavily on my business. Bunch of idiots.

I suppose its what happens when a man who let his slipper factory go bust is put in to advise by our very own government.

Back slapping exercise that is so obviously a load of crap - meat plant seem to be the only people who did decent trade this TT - I wonder where the figures will come from to back up these ridiculous claims??

The figures will be completely made up. And very few people will moan.

I'm afraid that nothing that this bunch do surprises me any more.

Closing the abattoir during TT Week seems pretty sensible to me;

1) The plant is inside the course.

2) It is sensible to keep any journeys to a minimum during TT, especially slow moving, large, refrigerated trucks.

3) Any decent businessman would have anticipated demand and ordered stock on time.

4) Any decent butcher would want to hang beef for a while before selling.

Are you are saying that you expect to be able to call up the abattoir and order correctly hung steak cuts for immediate delivery? In TT Week? If that is how it works then I may as well call them up myself tomorrow and order an expertly selected and hung ribeye for Friday.

2) It is sensible to keep any journeys to a minimum during TT, especially slow moving, large, refrigerated trucks.

3) Any decent businessman would have anticipated demand and ordered stock on time.

Are you are saying that you expect to be able to call up the abattoir and order correctly hung steak cuts for immediate delivery? In TT Week? If that is how it works then I may as well call them up myself tomorrow and order an expertly selected and hung ribeye for Friday.

The hospital is also inside the course and they seem to manage.

Also, one of the problems seems to be the export of meat immediately before a time of increased need.

Hearsay obviously.

Also, one of the problems seems to be the export of meat immediately before a time of increased need.

Hearsay obviously.

I think I see your point. You're saying Phil Teare should have the abattoir equipped with a helipad, right?

Hearsay obviously.

I think I see your point. You're saying Phil Teare should have the abattoir equipped with a helipad, right?

:D Very good. But only one of my points.

Notwithstanding that the roads aren't shut 24/7 for two weeks, and little old pensioners still find their way to Nobles.

To be continued. Off to my bed.

The creamery, next door to the abattoir was open throughout tt week:

1. They are also inside the course

2. Cows still need milkin' - they don't know it is TT week. I saw a couple of tankers out after the roads opened, so the closures can be worked around

3. It can be difficult to anticipate stock when you sales volume can be dependant upon weather (if it was wet every day, I am sure there wouldn't be many bbq's)

4. See point 3 - try anticipating sales nearly a month in advance!

Archived