Meat Shortages (bbq)

johnquayleiom

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that is how it works then I may as well call them up myself tomorrow and order an expertly selected and hung ribeye for Friday.

That's such an advantage we have living in England. We're starting to get more and more of these - Farms and farm shops and slaughtering their own beasts. I got these two beauties last week

2e6ef6x.jpg

ftllid.jpg

The blade on the knife is an 8" Cooks knife. 1lb ribeye steaks. Cut to how I wanted it.

Heaven

And they tasted bloomin amazin. And at nearly £7 a pound I wasn't complaining at the price.

I'm not really up to speed with this. But would just like to say that I had no problem sourcing and buying meat before, during and after the TT period. Was I just lucky?

Well then I was lucky too. And the butcher looked pretty well stocked when I was there.

Closing the abattoir during TT Week seems pretty sensible to me;

1) The plant is inside the course.

2) It is sensible to keep any journeys to a minimum during TT, especially slow moving, large, refrigerated trucks.

3) Any decent businessman would have anticipated demand and ordered stock on time.

4) Any decent butcher would want to hang beef for a while before selling.

Are you are saying that you expect to be able to call up the abattoir and order correctly hung steak cuts for immediate delivery? In TT Week? If that is how it works then I may as well call them up myself tomorrow and order an expertly selected and hung ribeye for Friday.

In response to the above comments:

1) plant being inside course is not a concern to me, not many other butchers. We are an ealry morning start trade - therefore all deliveries will be expected before any roads closed.

2) I agree it is essential to keep journeys to a minimum which is why fatstock have dedicated wagons for dedicated deliveries in dedicated areas. Delivery times and routes are planned in advance

3) Any decent butcher is able to buy stock when required from any decent abattoir - not in advance for majority of meat - see point 4. Meat is not an easy product to anticipate stock for - a suden change in weather has a huge impact on my business. As meat is perishable I can not hold stock for too long. therefore over ordering can cost me dearly. If I under order I can normally nip up to the abattoir to collect items I am short of. Or they will deliver it to me.

4) No decent butcher would hang all beef for a while - It is essential to hang hindquarter beef which creates numerous expensive cuts - steaks and expensive joints. Forequarter cuts are rarely matured for any length of time - this is because they will be used to make cheaper items - mince, burgers, stews etc. I have an excellent maturation period for items which require maturing. As a butcher I do not sell just hind quarter beef. I sell numerous items to numerous consumers - burger stands, caterers, hotels, pubs etc who all desire numerous items and cuts.

What I am trying highlight is that I lost all flexibility last week. I could easily import Irish / english / argentinian meats, but I choose not to. this option would give me greater flexibility and also consistency of quality.

The biggest problem I have is that I was not able to get what I ususally get week in week out. I was told there would be no problem, but there was.

What angers me the most is the bare faced lies that have been told. I know for a fact this year wasnt the best ever year sales wise.

As a local butcher I would lose a large amount of my trade if my customers didnt trust me - I dont trust the meat plant so it makes me question my loyalty to them in the future.

I could easily import Irish / english / argentinian meats, but I choose not to. this option would give me greater flexibility and also consistency of quality.

I dont trust the meat plant so it makes me question my loyalty to them in the future.

So why don't you import? Surely your customers value consistency of quality? Especially if you don't trust the meat plant

I could easily import Irish / english / argentinian meats, but I choose not to. this option would give me greater flexibility and also consistency of quality.

I dont trust the meat plant so it makes me question my loyalty to them in the future.

So why don't you import? Surely your customers value consistency of quality? Especially if you don't trust the meat plant

I am seriously considering doing so - there is a licensing process to go thorugh etc, but at the end of the day I am a manx butcher and would prefer to serve manx meat as it supports the whole agricultural sector on the Island. But if they dont want to help me I will seriously consider how I operate - Just like Marks and spencers appear to have done.

I am seriously considering doing so - there is a licensing process to go thorugh etc, but at the end of the day I am a manx butcher and would prefer to serve manx meat as it supports the whole agricultural sector on the Island. But if they dont want to help me I will seriously consider how I operate - Just like Marks and spencers appear to have done.

And we all know why the plant is working the way it is,

complain like buggery, time that so called manager was replaced

OK Manxbutcher - good explanation of your position, although the first post in this thread mentions steak specifically. Rump, sirloin and fillet are all hindquarter cuts, and, whilst rib-eye isn't, it still has to be hung. I see how not being able to get lamb, pork and cuts for burgers would be a big problem. I wasn't thinking about that because my butcher was well stocked up on steaks, and I thought we were talking about steak.

If that is how it works then I may as well call them up myself tomorrow and order an expertly selected and hung ribeye for Friday.

That's such an advantage we have living in England. We're starting to get more and more of these - Farms and farm shops and slaughtering their own beasts. I got these two beauties last week

2e6ef6x.jpg

ftllid.jpg

The blade on the knife is an 8" Cooks knife. 1lb ribeye steaks. Cut to how I wanted it.

Heaven

And they tasted bloomin amazin. And at nearly £7 a pound I wasn't complaining at the price.

What sort of weirdo posts pictures of their (yet to be cooked) dinner??

Taking the photos in the first place is weird enough for me.

And keeping them for a week in the hope a meat related thread would provide the opportunity to post them!

The tea towel in close proximity to the uncooked meat is not encouraging should one be fortunate enough to be invited round to dinner.

Can I ask Manxbutcher which shop he owns?

It's only because when I ask my local guy where his meat is sourced from, he doesn't seem to have much of a clue.

I'd much rather buy from someone who seems as passionate as our new forum member.

PM me if you're shy mate.

Archived