Castletown School Under Fire - Uniform

Gilligan

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/schools-news/Hav...been.5277400.jp

SCRUFFY: A CRHS pupil has posed for us like this. But is the way he dresses common? Some parents of pupils at the school think so

Some parents think shit.

Yes there are quite a few snotty little chavs who dress like this, but most pupils wear their uniform in a presentable manner. I dont see how the way they dress affects their ability to learn. Some people that dress like this don't want to learn, whether dressed in uniform, or in a clown outfit.

What! An newspaper article about the shock and horror of teenagers who do not wear their uniform 'properly'. Given this is the Isle of Man I am unsure whether this is an issue of genuine concern for busybodies and parents with irritating attitudes (see below) or whether this is just something to fill up space.

No wonder they are wearing their uniform like this. They no doubt want to show some individuality and dress as they want, which is difficult when forced to wear a uniform. I understand that financial issues come into arguments about uniforms, because some people argue that allowing people to wear whatever they want can highlight one's parents's financial income. But I doubt this is a real problem, certainly not one that warrants a uniform in the first place.

"But he admitted the problem was not limited to the Castletown school.

Melanie Glover, of Douglas Road, Ballabeg, is also preparing for her son to join the school in September.

She believes the way the pupils dress shows 'disrespect'.

'It alludes to thuggery and tartiness,' she said. 'The teachers appear not to be able to control the issue. The skirts are way too short and the boys' dress is that of untidiness. I was always taught that untidiness is a sign of an untidy mind.'"

Oh dear. Disrespect - how?, thuggery - how?, and tartiness - how? Is this woman of a 1950s mindset?

As I mentioned, in the other thread, it is complete nonesense that standards have slipped - I wore black Levi's, doc martins, a granddad shirt, tie tied skinny "mod style" or "thick rocker style" depending on my favourite band of the moment, and a cnd badge - when I was there in the 80's. And as for my sister!

I like the idea of uniforms but only if the kids are allowed free reign to customise them to bizarre extremes.

I dont see a problem,they are in uniform....They are teenagers so you've got to have a go at something about them!

Should'nt we be focusing on the positive (attendance and grades etc) instead of the trivial like a shirt and tie hanging out.There's plenty of time for them to smarten up when they're older.

I think there's more important issue's to deal with in the classroom!!!

shock horror - total non-issue overhyped by IOM media (again!)

There has always been kids who will be neatly presented and them that are scruffy.does it really matter?more important things to be concerned with i think

in my day it was issues over boys sporting skinhead haircuts and football shirts under school shirts and girls wearing tight hipster trousers and heavy eye make up. nothing has changed just the way the uniform is customised

School uniform is supposed to prevent kids clashing between rich and poor regarding attire. The theory is that if all kids look the same then they will all regard each other as equal.

This is nonsense. Most kids at the weekend out of school dress in clothes which are fashionable and actually cost less than the school uniform.

So the concept of school uniform has over time been defeated by reality.

The reason that school uniforms still exists is because our education system is still run by old etonian type middle class snoots who are desperate to cling on to old ways which are now extinct.

A child will learn more and be happy if they wear clothes they are comfortable in.

If school uniform was so important then surely the casual clothes day that various schools have destroys the concept.

I have a 14 year old daughter. I am obliged by law to send her to school to be educated and do not object to this. What I do object to is that the school she attends dictates to me what she should wear. That in my view is an infringement of her human rights.

I pay my taxes to have my child educated. The authorities have no right to dictate to me or my child what she wears and if some people think the kids look scruffy then tough on them. They should just

F*** off and get a life!

A child will learn more and be happy if they wear clothes they are comfortable in.

I have a 14 year old daughter. I am obliged by law to send her to school to be educated and do not object to this. What I do object to is that the school she attends dictates to me what she should wear. That in my view is an infringement of her human rights.

They should just

F*** off and get a life!

Your "view" simply emphasises the need for school and society rules...........and for uniform.

They should just

F*** off and get a life!

Your "view" simply emphasises the need for school and society rules...........and for uniform.

No it doesnt

I pay my taxes to have my child educated. The authorities have no right to dictate to me or my child what she wears and if some people think the kids look scruffy then tough on them. They should just

F*** off and get a life!

Yeah I agree, but more importantly than you being dictated to, what about the fact that pupils are allowed no choice themselves as to what they wear? Why should they have no say?

But then schooling is the first process of moulding people into being obedient citizens.

I've got to admit, I do think the kids look smart when they have their ties fastened, shirt in trousers etc etc

This was interesting though

School Uniform Link

Please can you summarise the main points, that's a very long article, and most of us are too lazy to read it all. :D

I've got to admit, I do think the kids look smart when they have their ties fastened, shirt in trousers etc etc

This was interesting though

School Uniform Link

Please can you summarise the main points, that's a very long article, and most of us are too lazy to read it all. :D

Oooh winds me up. Loyalty, pride, uniformity, and worst of all 'creating a more work-like atmosphere'. It just seems weird. Schooling as it is today cannot be a good education. I mean, how can it be conducive to helping foster intelligent, thoughtful, free-willed, 'free-minded', creative, questioning people when the pupils are subject to so much regimentation, uniformity, and authority?

What! An newspaper article about the shock and horror of teenagers who do not wear their uniform 'properly'. Given this is the Isle of Man I am unsure whether this is an issue of genuine concern for busybodies and parents with irritating attitudes (see below) or whether this is just something to fill up space.

No wonder they are wearing their uniform like this. They no doubt want to show some individuality and dress as they want, which is difficult when forced to wear a uniform. I understand that financial issues come into arguments about uniforms, because some people argue that allowing people to wear whatever they want can highlight one's parents's financial income. But I doubt this is a real problem, certainly not one that warrants a uniform in the first place.

"But he admitted the problem was not limited to the Castletown school.

Melanie Glover, of Douglas Road, Ballabeg, is also preparing for her son to join the school in September.

She believes the way the pupils dress shows 'disrespect'.

'It alludes to thuggery and tartiness,' she said. 'The teachers appear not to be able to control the issue. The skirts are way too short and the boys' dress is that of untidiness. I was always taught that untidiness is a sign of an untidy mind.'"

Oh dear. Disrespect - how?, thuggery - how?, and tartiness - how? Is this woman of a 1950s mindset?

I think that the woman is somewhat extreme in her views, although I do think it is the responsibility of the parents to ensure that their children are smartly dressed when attending school.

This will be unpopular, but:

School uniform, IMHO, is a good, very apparent, measure of identity with the school and discipline. I don't mean that in the draconian sense, but in the adolescent years it does no harm to leave the peacock competition at the school gates and for students to feel part of something bigger than them. No harm in pushing your interpretation of the uniform to the edge either, it is a lesson in how to conform whilst keeping your individuality - a useful lesson for later life.

Secondary school is about much more than just academic learning; it is also about preparation for adult life and one of the most difficult lessons is that, in the big world, you are not particularly significant and will be expected to conform in one way or another. So you may as well learn early on in your bid for adulthood, how to conform without losing your own identity. Interpretive school uniform is great for that. Long may it continue

This will be unpopular, but:

School uniform, IMHO, is a good, very apparent, measure of identity with the school and discipline. I don't mean that in the draconian sense, but in the adolescent years it does no harm to leave the peacock competition at the school gates and for students to feel part of something bigger than them. No harm in pushing your interpretation of the uniform to the edge either, it is a lesson in how to conform whilst keeping your individuality - a useful lesson for later life.

Secondary school is about much more than just academic learning; it is also about preparation for adult life and one of the most difficult lessons is that, in the big world, you are not particularly significant and will be expected to conform in one way or another. So you may as well learn early on in your bid for adulthood, how to conform without losing your own identity. Interpretive school uniform is great for that. Long may it continue

Good points

Archived