Castletown School Under Fire - Uniform

Gilligan

I've got to admit, I do think the kids look smart when they have their ties fastened, shirt in trousers etc etc

This was interesting though

School Uniform Link

Please can you summarise the main points, that's a very long article, and most of us are too lazy to read it all. :D

Oooh winds me up. Loyalty, pride, uniformity, and worst of all 'creating a more work-like atmosphere'. It just seems weird. Schooling as it is today cannot be a good education. I mean, how can it be conducive to helping foster intelligent, thoughtful, free-willed, 'free-minded', creative, questioning people when the pupils are subject to so much regimentation, uniformity, and authority?

Prepares them for the adult/real world.

I'm all for the uniform,i was so proud of my son on his first day of school,obviously IN uniform.A child should be identifiable and you should be able to tell what school a child goes to by what they are wearing.

To think that some people believe that if the uniform was scrapped ALL the children would be comfortable and confident in the clothes that they were happiest in is BOLLOCKS!

Unfortunatley there is poverty in this part of the world and i know that ALL children wouldnt feel equal,it would become more of a fashion parade than it is (always has been),and even less about learning.

I was always very creative with my uniform but i still wore it!

One last thing.... Ramsey Grammar uniform is totally disgusting,nobody looks good in bottle green so it might at some point in the future (before my daughter attends) be nice to change the colour.

This will be unpopular, but:

School uniform, IMHO, is a good, very apparent, measure of identity with the school and discipline. I don't mean that in the draconian sense, but in the adolescent years it does no harm to leave the peacock competition at the school gates and for students to feel part of something bigger than them. No harm in pushing your interpretation of the uniform to the edge either, it is a lesson in how to conform whilst keeping your individuality - a useful lesson for later life.

Secondary school is about much more than just academic learning; it is also about preparation for adult life and one of the most difficult lessons is that, in the big world, you are not particularly significant and will be expected to conform in one way or another. So you may as well learn early on in your bid for adulthood, how to conform without losing your own identity. Interpretive school uniform is great for that. Long may it continue

I do agree with what you say Gladys in pointing out why uniform has been adopted, but I think the reasons for its adoption are not good enough to force it on people. I think all schooling is (unfortunately) geared to preparing people for adult life and is adept at doing so, but in a specific way and not for good reasons. Ultimately, the point for me is whether the authority vested in the school and in the workplace is justified. And as it should be, we have to place a heavy burden of proof on all aspects of authority and not just accept them. I find that companies, managers, schools, and teachers have little that justifies the control that they have over people.

If you look at the aspects of authority over children and teenagers throughout their school life it is can be recognised that schooling is a wonderful preparatory process for creating people who are servile and unquestioning of authority. People grow up to accept the make-up of society as it is. And of course, this is great when people reach the age to go work when there is a transfer of authority from the schools and teachers to when you rent yourself to the Manager and a company. Control over one's life passes from the school to one's work.

In having worn a uniform at school it does accustom someone to getting used to wearing uniform at work where one's behaviour and life becomes equally as regimented and structured by an outside force.

I don't see preparation for the adult world (meaning the world of work) that we live in today is adequate justification when that world can't justify its existence.

What is the meaning of the word "uniform". I don't have a dictionary to hand. But seems to imply a uniformity which is at odd's with our rights as individuals be you 12 or 72. OK in the army for practical reasons but in civilian life? This argument about designer gear/trainers for me doesn't work either. I don't (and can't afford to or would wish to) wear a Calvin Klein suit to work (mine is M & S ) but I don't get bullied for it. I know kids are kids but let them adopt adult values, a learning lesson

By way of a footnote I had to wear a school cap during my secondary education, don't see many of them now.

If it comes to a choice I would rather see our young adults exhibiting good manners and behaviour (and most of them do - God bless them) rather than being pilloried for their shirt hanging out of their trousers or their skirts being too short.

This will be unpopular, but:

School uniform, IMHO, is a good, very apparent, measure of identity with the school and discipline. I don't mean that in the draconian sense, but in the adolescent years it does no harm to leave the peacock competition at the school gates and for students to feel part of something bigger than them. No harm in pushing your interpretation of the uniform to the edge either, it is a lesson in how to conform whilst keeping your individuality - a useful lesson for later life.

I agree that there should be a uniform but it should be say "Black trousers, blue shirt, grey jumper, school tie" then leave it up to the kids to determine what they do with this. Essentially, I'm in favour of a uniform, bit one that is more honoured in the breach that the observance.

But the bleating parents in the article are making the revolting suggestion that because other people's kids do not meet their standards tidiness that the school should discpline them. There is something morally wrong about people that behave like that.

Do not get me started here!

Muffty days in schools (non uniform days)

Girls turn up like this -

post-1804-1244790728_thumb.jpg

Boys turn up like this -

post-1804-1244790754_thumb.jpg

or both like this

post-1804-1244790800_thumb.jpg

and they and their parent(s) complain about wearing a 'uniform'!

I agree that there should be a uniform but it should be say "Black trousers, blue shirt, grey jumper, school tie" then leave it up to the kids to determine what they do with this. Essentially, I'm in favour of a uniform, bit one that is more honoured in the breach that the observance.

Hehe so you think uniforms should be compulsory so that pupils can rebel against them?

castletown square does look like st'trinnians at lunchtimes with the birdsnest hair, belts come skirts, and laddered tights brigade puffing on fags.

Sounds like every town around the country to me, and no different to "IN MY DAY"....Long time ago now.

Let them wear their uniform the way they want as long as they are wearing it, they are going to crave there own individuality anyway,its better they do it with clothes than a TATTOO!!!

Hehe so you think uniforms should be compulsory so that pupils can rebel against them?

Exactly, see my earlier discription of my school uniform.

Look at it this way, set a group of kids free in a room with a room of musical instruments you'll get an awful racket and a load of broken musical instruments, but show them a few chords and say "crack on" you might end up with Mozart or The Beatles, more likely you'll end up with Daniel Johnson or Capt. Beefheart. Either way it'll be creative. Or give a kid who's never seen a picture before a load of paint and brushes you'll get a mess, but show him how to hold the brush and make pictures on a bit of paper and he'll paint you a picture. Probably of a cock and balls rather than Guernica but a creative piece of art nonetheless.

There are limits in life, but the truly creative know where they are and work within them (like a great footballer unconstrained by the dimensions of the pitch or rules of the game because his skill is so vast they are irrelevent he'll just take another path). Society is going to change dramaticly during the current kids lives. It is unlikely many of them will be able to spend their entire careers in the sort of Finance Sector jobs most of their parents have. The Island needs a generation that can think and act creatively within the boundaries that face them.

Archived