Swine Flu Reaches Island

yehyehyeh

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for my ignorance...does swine flu kill?

If so, how easily?

Can it be cured?

(Panics)

Think it has been mentioned in the past that the Island has enough TamiFlu for half the population.

mind you in this current economic climate they will probably have sold it to somewhere else for a loss

If so, how easily?

Can it be cured?

(Panics)

Typically this is what happens when you get swine flu: you feel like you have flu. Then you get better.

No need to panic. If you are really worried, make sure that you wash your hands often and well.

If so, how easily?

Can it be cured?

(Panics)

Typically this is what happens when you get swine flu: you feel like you have flu. Then you get better.

No need to panic. If you are really worried, make sure that you wash your hands often and well.

Is that it? Thats shit, so its just like having the flu? The only difference is that it began in pigs? For some reason I'm dissappointed.

Is that it? Thats shit, so its just like having the flu? The only difference is that it began in pigs? For some reason I'm dissappointed.

I think the main significance is that it's a new strain of flu, so nobody has any resistance to it. As a result it's spread very quick. Fortunately it doesn't make you seriously ill generally but there are fatalities from any flu, and the number of people who will inevitably get this will mean more chance of some deaths.

The problem isn't with deaths, they'll be few and far between and a pretty tiny fraction of those who get it. The problems will be with the number of people who have to take time off work to be ill, look after someone else who is ill, look after children if schools close and sadly the number of people who will take a couple of weeks off on the sick because it's a handy excuse. The problems will be in how businesses manage to provide essential services when 50% of their staff are off for example.

Risk of death? Negligible. Risk of disruption? Huge.

Yeah my workplace seems to be very cautious about it all, we were getting e-mailsat work about what to do if you get sick - STAY HOME. And nobody was allowed to travel from London to Manchester and vice versa a few weeks ago in case they spread the disease. There were regular reminders that you should not travel and web conferencing is essential, etc..

Has anybody elses workplace been like that?

Now that there has been a confirmed case here, and the virus has been classified as level 6 (the highest level) some level of responsability should be shown, a press release or something like that from the goverment both to inform and squash any fear or panic.

for example some people may be concerned by the level 6 tag that it has been given by the WHO, but its classification is about its contagious rate not how fatal it is (or isn't as is the case).

phase1- animal to anima cases no human cases

phase 2- rare animal to human cases but those humans cannot pass it on to other humans

phase 3- common human cases especially among those working with domesticated animal carriers little or no human-human cases

phase 4-human to human cases in single community

phase 5 - human to human cases in two or more contries (within one WHO region)

phase 6 - all of phase 5 plus case in more than one WHO region

the above is in laymans terms but is sufficent to show that the level/phase is a world Health Organisation method of measuring the spread of the disease and not its potency or potential to do harm.

the measures in place such as isolation of the infected and the increase in public awareness has helped the WHO to stem the fatal cases of influenza to a minimum.

Archived