Playstation 3

K.os Theory

Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Turned on my PS3 on Saturday nite only to get a completely black screen. :o

The machine seems to boot up but then the fan goes very silent, reading some other forums I read that holding down the power button for 5 or so seconds resets the display functions, so tried this out...

The TV shows that the display changed from 1080i to 576p but still nothing shows up on the TV? :huh:

Has the machine bricked ( this is a replacement of my original PS3 ) and I've noticed that the original bricked just over a year ago ( so i'm guessing i'm outside of my guarantee? ), or is this a problem with my HDMI cable?

Slightly worried as I really can't afford to pick up another PS3 at the moment.

Any help/advice/guidance would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers

Does the PS3 do anything at all? If there's no fan noise, no disc access light flashing, no beeps when you press the buttons, then it would suggest a problem with the machine. Does the green light at the front (or the blue one next to it) illuminate?

Have you or a mate got any other devices with an HDMI socket (e.g. laptop or BluRay player) that you could use with your TV and cable to rule out any faults with them?

just before my first one bricked i could get it to boot up by doing a fan clean first

(power off by the toggle switch on the rear of the machine, wait 10 secs, then while holding a finger on the eject button flick the power switch back to on -- machine should fire the fans at full blast for 20secs or so then power off - i was then able to boot it normally)

just before my first one bricked i could get it to boot up by doing a fan clean first

(power off by the toggle switch on the rear of the machine, wait 10 secs, then while holding a finger on the eject button flick the power switch back to on -- machine should fire the fans at full blast for 20secs or so then power off - i was then able to boot it normally)

thanks for the responses, yeah i've got a the same HDMI running from my 360 into the tv and that works just fine, however when i tried to play a dvd through the 360 i got a funny message ( can't remember it ).

Lights are on at the front of the PS3.

I'll try your suggestion rock and let you know, also bought another HDMI cable today so we'll see how it goes.

Try giving Sony a call on 08705 998877 if you don't get it going.

Or sign up to Continuous Play and get a replacement for a fiver!

If the machine is out of warrenty (and if it is a replacement machine already supplied by Sony then the standard warrenty on them is 3 months) then Sony will charge £145 for a new, refurbished, replacement.

You could also look at Console Doctor, who seem to be able to fix just about anything.

Good luck with it K.os.

Try giving Sony a call on 08705 998877 if you don't get it going.

Or sign up to Continuous Play and get a replacement for a fiver!

If the machine is out of warrenty (and if it is a replacement machine already supplied by Sony then the standard warrenty on them is 3 months) then Sony will charge £145 for a new, refurbished, replacement.

You could also look at Console Doctor, who seem to be able to fix just about anything.

Good luck with it K.os.

Go with the Continuous play. I received a replacement 60gb Launch version today after taking out the policy - £5. It's a no brainer. Just don't call Sony

to log the fault first - they will charge and continuous play ( Domestic & General ) will charge the same.

A big Thank you to Chapperlin for putting me onto Continuous Play in the 'Uncharted 2' thread - cheers fella!!!

Archived