[BBC News] Axed entertainment hits TT trade

Newsbot

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Businesses on the Isle of Man have complained that trade suffered over the TT races because of a "lack of entertainment".

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/8100448.stm

Maybe Douglas corporation should have done what other authorities do, provide events in their area! Why should the taxpayer provide all the entertainment?!

Bushy's could have put up the screens as it seems to benefit them........Again the taxpayer providing for a business?!

When will the Government start subsidising the flights and boats for the benefit of the Steampacket and the airlines.........Certainly not for the taxpayer!

North One gave fantastic coverage this year, I watched the programme every evening on ITV4. Even if we didn't have the stunt bikes etc. why not have the big screen tuned to ITV4 for those at Bushy's; it would have given some focal point to the 'Festival'!

Surely any businesses hoping to exploit TT week wouldn't close? I hardly think B&B being open would have added to the festival spirit!

Was B & B closed? I did'nt mean anywhere in particular really, i just found that over the two week period there were quite a few places with notes on the doors "CLOSED FOR TT FORTNIGHT", a little annoying, us locals dont stop buying for two weeks, not to mention any visiting trade. But hey....If they dont need the business!

Businesses on the Isle of Man have complained that trade suffered over the TT races because of a "lack of entertainment".

You probably need to ask businesses outside Douglas to get the full picture.

Aside from the road closure changes, businesses in the Jewel of the North seem to have done OK. They were trading as usual, WITHOUT government subsidies to attract customers. Why should Bushy's et al get state support for their Douglas activities?

A level playing field is a welcome change. Long may it continue.

You probably need to ask businesses outside Douglas to get the full picture.

Aside from the road closure changes, businesses in the Jewel of the North seem to have done OK. They were trading as usual, WITHOUT government subsidies to attract customers. Why should Bushy's et al get state support for their Douglas activities?

Here here.

Listening to the protestations of the Chamber of Commerce rep this morning, I did feel as if he needed a good shaking, I though the "Isle of Man Chamber of Commerce" would be looking after the interest of traders throughout the island and not just those in Douglas. The idea that everything should be in the capital is seriously flawed, other towns should compete on a level playing field and would I's sure be happy to do so but the fact that residents, and businesses, from outside Douglas should pay taxes to fund events in the capital which only Douglas traders benefit from really does offend.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Bushys-boss...over.5357729.jp

Bushy's had applied for a road closure to put on their own entertainment including a music stage but their request was turned down.

Mr Brunnschweiler says this was despite the plans having the support of the police and he is convinced the decision was taken because the DTL didn't want competition for the paid-for events at the Villa Marina.

Have to say I agree with the above. I've no problem with tax payers not footing the cost - even though there is an argument to be had over the economic benefit to the island and thereby all the tax payers. The problem I have is that if Bushy's were willing to do it themselves and foot the cost why did the DTL refuse?? To me it seems their trying too hard to force the Villa down people's throats as the only place for entertainment in Douglas and that was hardly a success this year with events having to be made free!!

I'm all for levelling the playing field but surely that means that businesses in the capital should be able to get permits for road closures, etc to put on events the same as anywhere else in the island??

Maybe Douglas corporation should have done what other authorities do, provide events in their area! Why should the taxpayer provide all the entertainment?!

Bushy's could have put up the screens as it seems to benefit them........Again the taxpayer providing for a business?!

When will the Government start subsidising the flights and boats for the benefit of the Steampacket and the airlines.........Certainly not for the taxpayer!

Why should rate payers of Douglas provide entertainment for TT..? I think the races should be about the racing, the entertainment should be left up to private individuals that wish to profit from said people coming to watch the bikes, people do not come to the Island for the entertainment and the bikes just there as an added extra.

From what I've heard, the beer tent made a loss, once the rent of the Bottleneck car park had been deducted. I wonder how much the Corpy charge for the car park over the 12 days or thereabouts that the tent was up?

From what I've heard, the beer tent made a loss, once the rent of the Bottleneck car park had been deducted. I wonder how much the Corpy charge for the car park over the 12 days or thereabouts that the tent was up?

I've always thought the tent was a bit unfair on the businesses that have to run in permanent premises all year round.

Archived