"bizarre" Decision Could Cost 100 Jobs

joeyconcrete

On the front of the Manx 'Independent' Seamus Nugent, MD of Dandara is blasting the government's decision rejecting an apartments development on North Quay. He says it'll cost 100 jobs and says work is drying up and that the construction industry is need of work.

Ordinary working providing for their families are the people whose job disappear because of these decisions. They are the real victims

I may be wrong, but how can 100 builders lose their jobs on a project which was never given the go ahead. Surely thats Dandaras fault for employing builders before they'd even got past the planning stage. It seems like he's jumping on the bandwagon given the press surrounding the Ronaldsway redundancies.

I'm pleased that John Rimmington gave them the finger, I also hope the same happens at Onchan (or has that decision been made?).

A slow down in the building industry isn't an excuse to build 73 apartments in order to give them jobs. I honestly think there's enough Apartments going up around Douglas, redevelopment should be encouraged. I bet he's just pi**ed because they own all that land and they cant do what they want, boo hoo.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well they have been clever saying that its manx jobs at stake in reality i was told by someone that nearly 85% of the tradespeople are UK residents or paddys.

From what hear the manx workers are subcontracted and labourers, they are employing people that is a good thing but people are no longer in the position to buy these places so i think the government are right in saying no.

About time some of these sites were self build giving younger people a chance.

also i cannot understand why houses these days are not built with a basement giving more space, because we know the lack of it over here.

They have had it good for a long time but you know what they say about good things they always come to a end.

My advice to anyone working on building sites these days is get on the highway board, secure and easy money

We self built and saved a bit (although we have a better house than what they build). I am glad they have been denied, perhaps they should be looking for alternative places (or employment) if the trade is 'drying up'. There is no excuse for trying to gain sympathy for a large corporation that has upset a lot of residents.

On the front of the Manx 'Independent' Seamus Nugent, MD of Dandara is blasting the government's decision rejecting an apartments development on North Quay. He says it'll cost 100 jobs and says work is drying up and that the construction industry is need of work.

Ordinary working providing for their families are the people whose job disappear because of these decisions. They are the real victims

Are these Manx jobs that are being lost?

Yet again, where's our Trade & Industry Minister?

*me lifts up rock and yells*

ALEX! CARE TO COME OUT AND DEAL WITH THIS?

says work is drying up

Legoland reaches saturation point shock horror

Threre had to be a limit to how many of these rabbit hutches they could put up.

I am not surprised that that limit has been reached. I am surprised that such profilic 'builders' have the audacity to complain about it.

Does anybody know what the outcome of the Birch Hill planning issue was?

I hear this was sorted on a luxury holiday late last year.

Dandara employ many from off the Island, loads from Portugal, and are employed as self employed which is costing the Goverment/DHSS money as no NI is being paid.

The Island has never had so many houses for sale as it has now and for Dandara and others to be allowed to build more will cause negative equity for many families.

Also in todays paper complaints have been made agaist Dandara over the site down the south of the Island. People that have already bought houses now find that they have others looking down into their bedrooms, On checking the planning out this site had planning fro 84 homes but Dandara have played the planning trick, submit alterations to planning after construction resulting in an extra twenty houses on this site.

They dont care if they flood the market and cause negative equity, they have already made the dosh.

This company and others through greed have caused land prices to shoot up which results in families not affording to build a good size house.

You're right, there are a lot of houses on the market at the minute, building more houses is un-necessary. Controlling housing development is the job of the planning dept, and for once they seem to be doing the right thing. The same should be applied to the proposed Birch Hill estate.

Archived