[BBC News] TT sidecar crash 'caused by hare'

Newsbot

Why are you arguing about fundraising?

The fundraising efforts will be supported by family, friends and people that care... people that don't require a receipt or to know where their money is going because they trust the people doing the fundraising and the reasons for doing it....

If you are not one of the above people its really not a problem, but why so negative.

I guess in an attempt to reach family and friends that aren't close by, the internet forums etc have been used to spread the word... if you don't "buy" into it no worries... but again I'm amazed at some of the people that want to/are trying to rip it apart.

Floyd, I'm not ripping it apart, I'm just trying to understand. I got a note from Manx Radio about this, not the families or friends. I don't know why their raising funds, or what for. It's just got the name of the riders.

The fundraising might be more effective if people knew what it was for!

Well I don't want to be flippant but I wouldn't have thought it would take a genius to realise the funds will be raised to help these gentlemen and their families with the costs, and associated costs of their recovery. I don't imagine it will go towards buying a 60" digital plasma HD TV for them.

Would you want it all broken down a la UK MP's expense claims?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I don't want to be flippant but I wouldn't have thought it would take a genius to realise the funds will be raised to help these gentlemen and their families with the costs, and associated costs of their recovery. I don't imagine it will go towards buying a 60" digital plasma HD TV for them.

No, of course not, but the MR piece just says their names and nothing else. I'm not going to bang on about it any more, they obviously need help and it's a good cause and I don't think anyones ripping anyone off, I just think people would understand the need if it was presented a bit better. Take Mike Bellises appeal, he had a brain tumor, he needed dosh for an operation, everyone mucked in and got it done. I'm supporting the event and will donate, and I want it to be a success.

No, of course not, but the MR piece just says their names and nothing else. I'm not going to bang on about it any more, they obviously need help and it's a good cause and I don't think anyones ripping anyone off, I just think people would understand the need if it was presented a bit better. Take Mike Bellises appeal, he had a brain tumor, he needed dosh for an operation, everyone mucked in and got it done. I'm supporting the event and will donate, and I want it to be a success.

Fair does (do's?)

I got way-laid on page ten regarding fundraising, so if this is off topic, erm, !

I don't know either rider, personally or 'to watch'. I know the names, that is all. Shit, I can't even pick out the numbers on the livery most of the time!

I have been here for just 20 months, but with my partner for 7 years. She's Manx, so we have spent a lot of time here over those years. Perhaps this gives me a slightly different perspective? Don't know.

Often in life, you have to take things at face value, without question or trust your gut instinct. I feel that, in situations like this, you should follow your heart. What would you want to happen if you were in a similar position? I have donated to the fund that's stickied, without question (and prior to reading this, yet it wouldn't have made a differrence), and it bugs me that we all, both Manxies and comeovers alike, seem to take everything for granted often in situations like this. I guess a lot is lost when just typing?

I couldn't care if they are under-insured. Horse. Bolted. Gate... I, hope, trust, it will be put towards good use.

It doesn't matter that my familiarity is 'I know the name' - it's the principle. But. I haven't donated (or whatever) to other riders who have suffered during or from this year's TT - I don't believe this makes me a twat.

Yet, occasionally, I do wonder because all a person can do is react to anything presented to them, which I did. I think the benefits almost dictate that we all should do more and the real situations should be publicised more. I think this is only normal.

There did almost certainly (again, I'm a comeover) used to be the Benevolent Fund, it may still exist, but it isn't publicised sufficiently in my opinion. And certainly, I do not know enough about it to direct any assistance their (or indeed, that) way.

Maybe that's the problem?

Ultimately, the TT is the sum of its parts. And ultimately, the TT is a good thing. But let's all muck in, eh, when we can?

Adrian

ps sorry if this is totally OT, like I said, felt compelled to say something at page 10

pps this is only in response to one or two or seventy-nine-million posts that questioned fundraising.

I think we all see a need here and most will try to give if they can.

The reason i think the thread went a little of line was because most of us couldnt belive that there isnt really a fund to help these guys out and future needs of others.

I know there is the helicopter fund etc but there never seems to be anything there for the guys and girls who need help the riders.

Maybe something needs to be set up ?

I know most bikers and surporters would give as much as they could because they see these guys as heros.

So come on guys lets just highlight the things that need fixing and help as much as possible now and the future.

Thats the problem with charities like the benevolent fund, you never know how much will go to the end user after 'admin' have taken their cut, they've paid the accountant and fed the people at a board meeting.

I heartily encourage people to support these lads & their families directly and wish them a speedy recovery. Once again a reminder of how fragile life and a way of life is. :(

Once again a reminder of how fragile life and a way of life is. :(

Especially if you choose to hammer fast bikes around country lanes at stupid speeds. In fact, that doesn't sound fragile at all.

Not when you put it that way??

But then again, what great fun if you like racing bikes ;)

Archived