[BBC News] TT sidecar crash 'caused by hare'

Newsbot

I should image that at the high speed they were going at, it would be like hitting a brick but this is pure conjecture.

Whatever the physics of the crash, the result was awful.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again a reminder of how fragile life and a way of life is. :(

Especially if you choose to hammer fast bikes around country lanes at stupid speeds. In fact, that doesn't sound fragile at all.

I agree. Go ahead and race round as quick as you like. Just don't expect others to litterally pick up the peices after the inevitable happens. As quite correctly put, life is fragile and if you decide to risk some thing so fragile then ensure you have the correct insurnace to protect you and your family, esp the family that could be left should you die or have to support you if you are unable to work. It is good that people support the fundraising, but I do think the other people injured and those families that lost loved ones in this years races should also benefit from it. Without wishihg to sound harsh, whats makes the Crowe team more deserving than the others.

whats makes the Crowe team more deserving?? maybe nothing to some people? but obviously something to his friends and family. on the sharing the proceeds with others front ( that's how i read your point?? ), there is absolutely nothing stopping friends or family of other incident victims from organising fundraisers on their behalf. if they haven't?? that is up to them. what i find really cruel about the whole thing is it wasn't rider error or mechanical failure or even a lack of respect for the road conditions, it was nothing that could be considered part of the 'they know the risks' etc etc. it was something that was not legislatable for or part of the accepted risks of racing. totally unfair.

I think actually it is an accepted risk. You race round country roads it should be expected that wildlife are part of that country side and could be on the road. Its not as though such a thing hasn't happned before but I unfirtunatly I can't see what can be done about this. I agree that the families of the others could fundraise also, a very valid point. They could have jumped on the band wagon with the organisers of the Crowe Cox fundraising. I just feel sorry that the other injured/ dead parties do not seem to be getting the same level of sympathy or support. Its a shame.

I just feel sorry that the other injured/ dead parties do not seem to be getting the same level of sympathy or support. Its a shame.

I see a fundraiser has been started for the travelling marshall now, John McBride. I see him as part of the hierarchy of the TT, so if he needs to raise money from the consequences of the execution of his duties, then what hope all the others? The TT's a bit of a Mickey Mouse affair really isn't it? At least, when it comes to the wellbeing of it's participants.

I'm surprised a hare could take out a high speed sidecar outfit - I wonder if instinct kicked in and the rider tried to avoid colliding with it.

A hare is a bloody solid object and will cause a lot of damage to a car if you hit one. Kiss your bumper goodbye and if you are really unlucky it will crumple your wings to the extent that you may be unable to open the doors.

A sidecar outfit hitting one at 140mph plus would be like armageddon.

Ballacobb is pretty close to wallaby country too. I've never hit one of those buggers but they would cause similar damage to a fast moving vehicle.

A hare is a bloody solid object and will cause a lot of damage to a car if you hit one. Kiss your bumper goodbye and if you are really unlucky it will crumple your wings to the extent that you may be unable to open the doors.

Don't be silly.

Don't be silly.

A fully grown hare is much, much larger than a rabbit, and probably weighs about 12lb or more - I wouldn't fancy hitting one at 140mph!

The TT's a bit of a Mickey Mouse affair really isn't it? At least, when it comes to the wellbeing of it's participants.

I totally agree.

Given that it's such a 'World Famous' event, the whole 'after care' issue needs to be looked at on an official level.

At the moment it seems to be lacking on many levels and left to voluntary concerns to step in when needed.

No insult intended to those who take up the cause but they should not be left to do it alone as seems to be the case.

Don't be silly.

Well OK then, I'll accept it isn't armageddon literally, but it's definitely goodbye sidecar. The car stuff isn't silly at all. I've hit one!

The TT's a bit of a Mickey Mouse affair really isn't it? At least, when it comes to the wellbeing of it's participants.

I totally agree.

Given that it's such a 'World Famous' event, the whole 'after care' issue needs to be looked at on an official level.

At the moment it seems to be lacking on many levels and left to voluntary concerns to step in when needed.

No insult intended to those who take up the cause but they should not be left to do it alone as seems to be the case.

They shouldn't have to do it at all. There should be good insurance taken out by the participants ( and prevented from taking part without it) and contributed to by the IOM Government. I am sure they can afford it!

Once again a reminder of how fragile life and a way of life is. :(

Especially if you choose to hammer fast bikes around country lanes at stupid speeds. In fact, that doesn't sound fragile at all.

I agree. Go ahead and race round as quick as you like. Just don't expect others to litterally pick up the peices after the inevitable happens. As quite correctly put, life is fragile and if you decide to risk some thing so fragile then ensure you have the correct insurnace to protect you and your family, esp the family that could be left should you die or have to support you if you are unable to work. It is good that people support the fundraising, but I do think the other people injured and those families that lost loved ones in this years races should also benefit from it. Without wishihg to sound harsh, whats makes the Crowe team more deserving than the others.

whats makes the Crowe team more deserving?? maybe nothing to some people? but obviously something to his friends and family. on the sharing the proceeds with others front ( that's how i read your point?? ), there is absolutely nothing stopping friends or family of other incident victims from organising fundraisers on their behalf. if they haven't?? that is up to them. what i find really cruel about the whole thing is it wasn't rider error or mechanical failure or even a lack of respect for the road conditions, it was nothing that could be considered part of the 'they know the risks' etc etc. it was something that was not legislatable for or part of the accepted risks of racing. totally unfair.

I think actually it is an accepted risk. You race round country roads it should be expected that wildlife are part of that country side and could be on the road. Its not as though such a thing hasn't happned before but I unfirtunatly I can't see what can be done about this. I agree that the families of the others could fundraise also, a very valid point. They could have jumped on the band wagon with the organisers of the Crowe Cox fundraising. I just feel sorry that the other injured/ dead parties do not seem to be getting the same level of sympathy or support. Its a shame.

similar things may have happened, there was a horse that killed a rider there quite a few years back. there are now plenty of announcements about pets etc and livestock is usually moved from fields adjacent to the course ( there will be exceptions ), they ( or used to?? ) have sheep marshalls up the mountain to keep sheep away from near the course too. i think the long time delay before the first racing vehicle doesn't help in keeping wild animals away from the course. maybe a roads open type car with a rally type exhaust should go round and have police type sirens fitted too. rather than just one vehicle that takes 30 mins to get round they could use 4 so they can be on and off the course in ten mins before the race but cover the whole course?? perhaps not practical. but a travelling marshall with a road legal exhaust isn't going to wake a baby.

as to other families again, maybe they don't require the same type of support?? and maybe their 'time off' is expected to be less with perhaps less effect on their personal, business and family situations??. also remember that a sidecar automatically involves TWO famillies with direct concerns and connections ( unless it's a family outfit? ). Rosie from the sulby pub who is doing a great deal towards the fund efforts also has a direct connection to sidecars and the Crowe team as one of her sons was a passenger for Nick a few years back and i think now races sidecars himself as a driver? i don't think it is a case of others are being overlooked as such, more a case of that this particular team happen to have friends etc that are in a better possition perhaps to fund raise and who also happen to have past experience of fund raising. if you go in the sulby pub, i think there are quite a few BIG cheques on the walls for all sorts of other things that have had money raised for by Rosie and her patrons. it sort of looks in a way like they are being criticised for advertising and promoting their fund raiser well?? though i don't think this is what people intend to come accross.

Good train of thought there WTF with regards to preperation of the roads. What about those devices that farmers use to stave off birds etc from crops. It sounds like a gun shot that goes off periodically (spelling ??) may they could be set up around the course to deter wildlife???????

I understand what you say about support etc for the Crowe etc. I suppose I am just to soppy and wish that everyone injured could be thought about and have the same treatment regardless of how much support from family to family differ. I just hope all those involved in any accident manage tyo cope one or another. My thought s, for what they are worth are with them all.

A touch of realism here.

Frankly you have no chance of keeping anything small, wild and furry off the entire course.

Domestic maybe, natures little wild cards no way.

Good train of thought there WTF with regards to preperation of the roads. What about those devices that farmers use to stave off birds etc from crops. It sounds like a gun shot that goes off periodically (spelling ??) may they could be set up around the course to deter wildlife???????

I understand what you say about support etc for the Crowe etc. I suppose I am just to soppy and wish that everyone injured could be thought about and have the same treatment regardless of how much support from family to family differ. I just hope all those involved in any accident manage tyo cope one or another. My thought s, for what they are worth are with them all.

Ahem!

Did John McGuinness have to swerve to avoid a hare earlier in the day in the same area? (or is my memory playing tricks?)

Is there something that can be done to try to discourage wild animals from the road?

*feeling like that Arrabella Weir character on the Fast Show who got ignored in favour of the boys...*

Archived