[BBC News] TT sidecar crash 'caused by hare'

Newsbot

at the end of the day you do get something out of the TT festival for free and thats the Atmosphere, something the Island may lack if the Riders never raced here at the TT

Is that the atmosphere of doom that seems to descend on a regular basis? Like right now?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm amazed that even after someone says that close relatives/friends are reading this tripe and getting upset, it still seems to sit well with you folk to crack jokes about it... I know some of you in "real life" and it amazes me that you 'd rather jusitfy your joke cracking then just cut it out.

What, specifically, is in bad taste? Jokes about rabbits? Has anyone involved complained? Why's everyone getting offended on their behalf?

Its not just sportsmen or women that have asked for help, what about our service men and woman that have been paid to fight in a war that they dont want, end up injured and pensioned out of the services and just left to rot. Asking for help is not a crime or something that should have the piss taken out of it.

I don't disagree with any of the points highlighted for this awful accident, however, it is highlight as like in the reply above, there are many people needing help. What happens for those who do not have the 'celebrity' status (ok I know only a small island - but you know what I mean) and help for them? In this case we have TT riders, marshall etc - surely it would be better to fundraise for everyone and split it depending on needs etc? Or am I missing something......

I don't disagree with any of the points highlighted for this awful accident, however, it is highlight as like in the reply above, there are many people needing help. What happens for those who do not have the 'celebrity' status (ok I know only a small island - but you know what I mean) and help for them? In this case we have TT riders, marshall etc - surely it would be better to fundraise for everyone and split it depending on needs etc? Or am I missing something......

I think it's up to fund-raisers to raise funds for whatever they like, but I think people should also take that into account when donating.

As we all know the manx humour is always a bit morbid at times.

But as everyone else has said these guys are facing some very hard times ahead and i wish them all the best and hope they can overcome this terrible time.

What i do find strange is why these guys are needing to raise funds ?

I thought being a rider in the TT you would need to or want to be insured to the eye balls ?

Are these guys risking there lives without any back up?

Good luck to them i wish them well.

Did John McGuinness have to swerve to avoid a hare earlier in the day in the same area? (or is my memory playing tricks?)

Is there something that can be done to try to discourage wild animals from the road?

Did John McGuinness have to swerve to avoid a hare earlier in the day in the same area? (or is my memory playing tricks?)

Is there something that can be done to try to discourage wild animals from the road?

Your memory is playing tricks. It was a rabbit. Plenty of near misses in ITV4.

Seriously though, I marshall for the bikes and as we all know, there is an abundance of rabbits this year. It's a little scary on roads closed when all these little critters come out to play.

All those bunnies are apparently Ian Lougher's fault. TT fans may remember Guy Martin's quote from a couple of years ago that Lucky's bike was so fast (when it overtook him) it"sucked the rabbits out of the hedges" :D

Just back from Conrhenny plantation with the dogs and the blighters were everywhere! Someone with a suitable firearm and a half decent aim could have filled their freezer after a walk round there..

Obviously wish all the best to all those who came to grief during TT; RIP John..

Line the hedges with spectators to keep the wildlife away?

I would assume the loud engine would help?

Near impossible to stop hares etc. Im sure most drivers have seen it when you slow down to let a hare or rabbit get off the road they freeze and end up staying in the way.

Archived