[BBC News] TT sidecar crash 'caused by hare'

Newsbot

stop this post

I thought one of the moderators would have done that by now.

Have you reported it? Or any of the posts? If so which ones are the posts you objected to, and what was the response?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did John McGuinness have to swerve to avoid a hare earlier in the day in the same area? (or is my memory playing tricks?)

Is there something that can be done to try to discourage wild animals from the road?

Line the hedges with spectators to keep the wildlife away?

a very good point, and also a very sad irony if the alleged over zelous H&S contributed to the increased risk of wildlife on the track!!! even before you posted i had been thinking that being the first competitor on the road is probably the most likely to encounter critters. when it all goes AC/DC instead of petrol there will be even less noise to scare things away.

What i do find strange is why these guys are needing to raise funds ?

I thought being a rider in the TT you would need to or want to be insured to the eye balls ?

Well this seems to be the question that no-one's answering - it's been asked a couple of times but no-one seems to know...

I thought being a rider in the TT you would need to or want to be insured to the eye balls ?

Well this seems to be the question that no-one's answering - it's been asked a couple of times but no-one seems to know...

I've seen the same question asked on the iomtt website forum. Evidently, it's prohibitively expensive to get insurance. Not surprising really.

I've seen the same question asked on the iomtt website forum. Evidently, it's prohibitively expensive to get insurance. Not surprising really.

So the riders race without any kind of insurance?

I'm only relaying what was said on another forum (albeit one that is used by a lot of the bikers themselves), and that seems to be the gist of it. Some of the bigger names probably have some support from the sponsors.

The reasons for the fundraising can be found quoted here on iomtt.com !!

Page two here http://www.iomtt.com/Home/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=172198

All the money raised is going towards the cost of caring for their children and running their homes, as both boys will be in hospital for sometime and both partners will be out of work for the time being, so yes there is a warrant for fundraising.

when you consider how many folks would be paying a premium, and the sums required for a payout, it is hardly surprising. i wonder if the organisers have to have insurance for the travelling marshalls or whether they too have to take a chance on not crashing due to the cost??

Given that we are continually told that the TT brings 'unquantifiable' benefits including I would assume financial ones, I'm surprised that some sort of central funding protocol has not been established instead of leaving it to individuals to set up schemes following incidents such as this one.

The reasons for the fundraising can be found quoted here on iomtt.com !!

Page two here http://www.iomtt.com/Home/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=172198

All the money raised is going towards the cost of caring for their children and running their homes, as both boys will be in hospital for sometime and both partners will be out of work for the time being, so yes there is a warrant for fundraising.

your most intelligent post to date, probably because you quoted it, but atleast it answers all the questions i had on the subject of having a fundraiser. also thanks to lee54 for some insight i had overlooked with my blinkers on.

I've just had a PM from Lee54, I quote

"No competitor can start or enter a Race at the TT unless they show proof that they have insurance Fact. The insurance covers any third party claims, it also covers repatriation and medical costs. Riders can also take out insurance with American Combine at a cost of £112 pa, This cover pays out approx £200 per dat while in hospital, it also pays out for loss of limbs ect, it also pays out after leaving hospital".

Must say £112 pa doesn't seem much considering the number of come offs these lads have.

I've just had a PM from Lee54, I quote

"No competitor can start or enter a Race at the TT unless they show proof that they have insurance Fact. The insurance covers any third party claims, it also covers repatriation and medical costs. Riders can also take out insurance with American Combine at a cost of £112 pa, This cover pays out approx £200 per dat while in hospital, it also pays out for loss of limbs ect, it also pays out after leaving hospital".

Must say £112 pa doesn't seem much considering the number of come offs these lads have.

it does explain it quite well, i would hope that they ALL take out the american combine too, as that does seem optional but 122 quid is peanuts in this game?? not opting for it would be folly for less than the cost of a tyre.

Archived