Digital Box

Maxmann

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got one of those cheap and a bit nasty digiboxes at Tesco. The new digital signal is very good, big improvement on the old. But the analogue signal that is bounced on to the tv from the box is dreadful, barely watchable. I therefore have to change cables in order to watch the analogue stations. It's going to be a tiresome month, can't they hurry it up a bit? I'd rather have my original four channels than the shite kiddy telly and news that I've been given. (against my wishes).

I therefore have to change cables in order to watch the analogue stations. It's going to be a tiresome month, can't they hurry it up a bit? I'd rather have my original four channels than the shite kiddy telly and news that I've been given. (against my wishes).

My brother just rang me to tell me the same thing about his set top box (one of these), as he's really pissed off about it.

He can't get to the back of his telly easily so it's quite a chore to switch the aerial cable over between the digibox and the telly, depending on what channel he wants to watch.

Don't these things pass the signal through somehow from the aerial so you can still receive analogue signal as well during the interim period?

Someone didn't think this whole thing through very well if this isn't the case (assuming it's not him for not reading the instructions of course....).

Someone didn't think this whole thing through very well if this isn't the case (assuming it's not him for not reading the instructions of course....).

You could just fit a 3 quid coax splitter:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-00043159-Coax...r/dp/B00006JAPW

Cheers Slim - I told him already that I have one he can have and can make up the extra cables he'd need if he wants to come and get the bits off me.

He's very busy though and his mrs is about to give birth though so I suspect it's not massively high on his list of priorities. I'll end up doing it for him and that's fine.

I've just found a page here which seems to suggest that if you simply switch off the set top box, the analogue signal will work still. Unless I've misread that. It's been a difficult day.

Just wondering actually seeing as I have a nice 32" samsung that is currently used as a monitor for the PS3 & PC, I may as well get an aerial for that.

I know you can get little indoor ones dirt cheap like this one but does anyone know if something like that would work ok over here? I'm in Port Erin so I'd hope that would count as a 'strong' signal area, but even then I know that the design of the antenna makes a huge difference.

If anyone could recommend a small indoor dtv antenna that works well from their own experience I'd be interested to know.

Thanks

I therefore have to change cables in order to watch the analogue stations. It's going to be a tiresome month, can't they hurry it up a bit? I'd rather have my original four channels than the shite kiddy telly and news that I've been given. (against my wishes).

My brother just rang me to tell me the same thing about his set top box (one of these), as he's really pissed off about it.

He can't get to the back of his telly easily so it's quite a chore to switch the aerial cable over between the digibox and the telly, depending on what channel he wants to watch.

Don't these things pass the signal through somehow from the aerial so you can still receive analogue signal as well during the interim period?

you have to have the box switced on ( green light on ) for the analogue signal to pass through it. PIA, i had a video recoder years ago that was the same. shit design.

Archived