Digital Box

Maxmann

Just wondering actually seeing as I have a nice 32" samsung that is currently used as a monitor for the PS3 & PC, I may as well get an aerial for that.

I know you can get little indoor ones dirt cheap like this one but does anyone know if something like that would work ok over here? I'm in Port Erin so I'd hope that would count as a 'strong' signal area, but even then I know that the design of the antenna makes a huge difference.

If anyone could recommend a small indoor dtv antenna that works well from their own experience I'd be interested to know.

Thanks

unless you have a direct sight of the PsM mast I would say you would struggle with that little thing (all the way from hong kong !) as PsM is only a low power fill-in station, not a multi-kilowatt main station.

you could do better with literlally a bent coat hanger !

get hold of a 10 element conventional aerial and stick it up in the clear somewhere

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My £5 indoor aerial that I got from Woolies works fine for freeview.

In fact it used to be able to pick up a signal from the UK on a good day.

The good thing with digital tv is you get a perfect picture even with average/poor reception. Just buy a cheap aerial and try it.

Just wondering actually seeing as I have a nice 32" samsung that is currently used as a monitor for the PS3 & PC, I may as well get an aerial for that.

I know you can get little indoor ones dirt cheap like this one but does anyone know if something like that would work ok over here? I'm in Port Erin so I'd hope that would count as a 'strong' signal area, but even then I know that the design of the antenna makes a huge difference.

If anyone could recommend a small indoor dtv antenna that works well from their own experience I'd be interested to know.

Thanks

unless you have a direct sight of the PsM mast I would say you would struggle with that little thing (all the way from hong kong !) as PsM is only a low power fill-in station, not a multi-kilowatt main station.

Quite weird - I'm within shouting distance of the PSM Mast and I still have BBC2 yet no freeview box. I must be picking up a signal from somewhere else.

Im probably being really dense here, but I have two Samsung TVs that are suppose to have digital tuners built in but I can't get them to tune to the new digital signal. Do I need to be doing something special or just tune as normal?

Im probably being really dense here, but I have two Samsung TVs that are suppose to have digital tuners built in but I can't get them to tune to the new digital signal. Do I need to be doing something special or just tune as normal?

Probably know this, but you need to use the digital tuner, not the analog tuner.

Tesco's is sold out of all set top boxes apart from the £90 'top up tv' ones as of lunchtime today. Don't think those work here either, heh.

my telly had digital built in, there was a button on my zapper I'd never used/noticed before hehe, labelled as something like DTV, when I pressed that it took me to a page where you can 'search' for channels, it was all dead quick and easy... on the aerial topic, I've only got a crappy cheapie indoor aerial and it's working fine so far (in Douglas).

For what’s its worth 1 bedroom TV on a £16.99 digibox from Tesco's on a loop antenna perfect, the other bedroom TV is also on an indoor antenna and that is feeding a £79.99 digibox that i bought last year from Tesco's and that is also perfect picture. The main TV in the lounge is a Samsung with a built in Digital tuner and that is on the old indoor antenna that’s mounted in the loft and has been there for years and that is also perfect so roll on 16th July !

Well I got both my TVs to tune kind of, I hadn't noticed the DTV Menu button on the remote. The living room TV is tuned in perfect from the aerial in the roof, where as in the bedroom I can't get a digital signal as it is picking up the Ulster signal via the same aerial.

What do i need to record digital TV? I have a digital TV that is working perfectly, all tuned in and everything, but I have an analogue video recorder that will only record the channel that is being watched.

Do i need a digital dvd recorder or hard drive recorder, or PVR (i dont know what one of these is)? Which one is better (cheaper)? If possible, could i get one that can record two channels at once?

What do i need to record digital TV? I have a digital TV that is working perfectly, all tuned in and everything, but I have an analogue video recorder that will only record the channel that is being watched.

Do i need a digital dvd recorder or hard drive recorder, or PVR (i dont know what one of these is)? Which one is better (cheaper)? If possible, could i get one that can record two channels at once?

PVRs are better than DVD recorders. Yes you can get them which record two or more channels simultaneously. If you find one which you are interested in then Google the model number to ensure that lots of people are not reporting problems with that model.

These things are a stop-gap product. Increasingly old TV will be available to watch again on demand. Eg C4 is about to put its back catalogue online. Eg BBC iPlayer is now HD etc.

Thing about Freeview is that even as it is being rolled out it seems like an awful lot of bother for such a limited selection of content vs the internet.

PVRs are better than DVD recorders. Yes you can get them which record two or more channels simultaneously. If you find one which you are interested in then Google the model number to ensure that lots of people are not reporting problems with that model.

These things are a stop-gap product. Increasingly old TV will be available to watch again on demand. Eg C4 is about to put its back catalogue online. Eg BBC iPlayer is now HD etc.

Thing about Freeview is that even as it is being rolled out it seems like an awful lot of bother for such a limited selection of content vs the internet.

Thanks a lot. PVR it is then.

Yep - get something with a hard disc in it.

I've got one that has a hard disc (like sky+) for easy day to day recording loads of stuff conveniently (if there was loads of good stuff on, or endless crime programs for the mrs), and a built in dvd player/recorder so if you 'tape' something you want to keep long term you can burn it on a disc.

Not found a disc that mine will record on so far. Cheers Samsung!

I did think one of those £3 diddy aerials would be a bit optimistic really. Was in BQ earlier and they have a few 'normal' telly aerials which would do the job I'm sure but I'm after something discrete or that can go in the loft etc. Theirs aren't that cheap either.

Ebay will no doubt provide, although obviously that can be a bit hit & miss. I'd try with a little portable aerial but the only one I have is a plastic squarish/flattish thing with a booster built in and a profile like a swimming pool floor. I'd be surprised if it gives any tolerable results.

This was another option I'd seen on the bay and wondered if it might cut the mustard down here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330337911766

Archived