[BBC News] Pupils' ascent to mark 175 years

Newsbot

Students on the Isle of Man are climbing more than 1,500 ft (440m) to celebrate their school's 175th anniversary.

Arbory School students are ascending South Barule later, one of the highest mountains on the island.

Richard Milky Quayle, the first Manx man to win a TT race and the Hon Noel Cringle, President of Tynwald, were pupils at the school in Castletown.

There will be other other events taking place throughout the year.

That's 73 words, lets see how many errors -

1. Arbory School is in Ballabeg not Castletown

2. Milky Quayle was not the first Manxman to win a TT Race

3. It's Barrule not Barule

4. It's not a mountain; it's a hill

5. "other other"

6. The school was attended by many well-known people on the Isle of Man -

_45947355_school_iom226.jpg

I don't know any of those people.

6. The school was attended by many well-known people on the Isle of Man

I attended, is that not enough?

The school was attended by many well-known people on the Isle of Man -

Ah ha That is where you have made your fatal error. Given the size of the IOM the law of averages says that the school was attended by many well-known people on the Isle of Man. You may not know it but you probably know some. But I'll grant you 5/6 ain't bad.

Students on the Isle of Man are climbing more than 1,500 ft (440m) to celebrate their school's 175th anniversary.

On the Isle of Man? Isn't it "in" ?

Ah ha That is where you have made your fatal error. Given the size of the IOM the law of averages says that the school was attended by many well-known people on the Isle of Man. You may not know it but you probably know some. But I'll grant you 5/6 ain't bad.

True, but the quote was a caption to that picture, I hazard a guess that none of the people in that picture are well known on the Isle of Man. Which one are you Gilligan?

True, but the quote was a caption to that picture, I hazard a guess that none of the people in that picture are well known on the Isle of Man. Which one are you Gilligan?

Bet it's the one in a dress holding the Union Flag :P

I remember being at the 150th anniversary when Princess Anne came to visit.

There had been a song penned to impress the visiting royalness which was remarkably cheesy with words like (forced to be sung with great glee & enthusiasm) "The time is 12 o'clock! We've got to go for dinnnn-ner: Potatoes, beans & ham. Tart with lots of jam!".

Why they were boasting about an ice cream scoop full of mash, some spam, and some beans was beyond me as I hated that particular concoction, but I remember my days at Arbory fondly. :)

Which one are you Gilligan?

Dunno, it's quite hard to make out the faces!

You are IN a country, you are ON an Island.

But "the Isle of Man" is the name of the country. So you are in the IOM, but on the island.

S

I live ON the Isle of Man which is IN the Irish Sea, I live ON the Island which is IN the UK.

I live ON the coast, I live IN the Countryside.

I dont make the rules, I just enforce them :P

Archived